School-Aged Children
Options

Need room parent advise.

I found out yesterday that I'm the room parent for DS's class. Their Halloween party is in a few weeks. DS's teacher gave me the list of the parents who want to help.

The budget for the party is $60 assuming everyone turns in their money. So far only three chilren have and DS is one of them so the available budget is $15 right now. I'm ok with spending some of my own money on the party if I have to. The money has to come from somewhere and the school's budget is unbelieveably low.  I'd rather it not be from the teach who already spends her own money to fill in the gap.

Before getting the list of parents I went to Walmart  and priced everything. To do 4 games, a useable craft project, and have nice prizes and treats will cost around $85. I'm paying for this even if the budget doesn't end up being more than what we have now. I'm fine with it but don't want to spend more.

Here is my question. Do I call and ask parents to help with specific things to throw the party I want or do I ask them for imput and ideas? I'm worried that if I ask for ideas that people will be offended if I don't use them or it will cost more if I accept other ideas. Only two out of the twelve parents who want to help have sent in money so I'm not sure asking them to chip in will work very well.

What do you ladies think? I'd prefer to just ask for help with specific things but I don't want to seem rude or bossy. What is it normal for a head room parent to do? DS is in K and I've never done this before.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need room parent advise.

• Options
    Our school asks that each child send in $3 total...for 3 parties throughout the year.  They also send home notes asking for donations--drinks, prizes, snacks, etc.  It can be a generic, please check what you can send in.  They've also assigned a parent to bring something in once for each of the 3 parties so you aren't asking for donations for all 3 parties.   
  • Options

For our preschool, the room parent sends out a list of what's needed for each party - mostly treats, but including games and crafts.

Each parent responds with what they'll contribute and is financially responsible for that.  I think that seems easier on the parents than asking for cash.  I'd probably be happier spending 5 dollars on strawberries for the party while I'm shopping anyway than remembering to give cash to a room mom.

If I remember correctly (I haven't done this since DS was in the class, since DD hasn't had a party yet), the room mom asked for 2 party "chairs" for each party - and they were the ones that did the crafts. I remember cutting hands out for turkeys for thanksgiving at one point. Sometimes the teacher would donate some supplies- like the construction paper for the turkeys.

So, I would send a general email asking for physical contributions - not cash - and see what kind of response you get.  List what you want to get: a veggie platter, grapes, cut up apples, treat bags (since it's Halloween), stickers, pencils, someone in charge of the pumpkin bowling (including supplies), etc. 

Does that make sense?

ETA:  In K, the teacher sent home a request for stuff - you didn't get to choose.  So, for Halloween, I'd get something like individual packs of pretzels.  She'd kind of rotate through the parents the "harder" things and she assigned the parents she knew would actually follow the most important stuff.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Our school doesn't even give room moms money any more.  So we get all the parent emails and send out a wish list. 

So for my kindergarten class I asked for 4 party volunteers, a theme-related story, theme-related napkins/plates, juice boxes, treat snack, healthy snack, and craft supplies (we're making foamie pumpkin crafts and beading glow bracelets). 

I'm bringing a few cheap games -witch hat ring toss with rings I already have at home and a witch hat from an old costume, -bingo game I printed from some webiste and smarties as the markers, -pumpkin bowling with toilet paper rolls decorated as ghosts and a couple of small round pumpkins

The parents love sending stuff in so my cost is less than $5 (for the two pumpkins). 

• Options
    How long is the party? Do you really need 4 games? Honestly, we've never had time for games at ours. We eat the snacks, which parents sign up to bring, then they get their treat bag and hang out. You could do a toilet paper mummy game or something, but it doesn't have to be elaborate. I would also skip the prizes for the games if you do have them and just give out the treat bags. That way you are spending less of your own money. The kids will still have fun. 
  • Options

I think it's fine if you ask for help with specific things.  Just send an email to all the parents letting them know that if people are willing to donate some items, more of the budget can spent on fun games/favors for the kids.  Ask them to reply to all and let you know if they can bring:

a class set of juice boxes 

plates & cups

bags and twist ties for favors

or whatever you envision for the party.  

If you get help with these items, it'll be less $ you have to spend on stuff. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

I would def. send a general email asking for help w/ the party - in regards to bringing in supplies/treats/games--etc.  Make up a list of the things needed and have them sign up..  It seems like you have already done the research to include project/favors/treats, etc.. You can make a list of what you KNOW you need for the projects/favors---and maybe leave the treats part open--in case you are worried about seeming bossy---that way they can pick what treats to bring/make-etc.. 

Good Luck!

• Options
    I find parents are more likely to donate stuff versus cash.  Just put together an online sign up sheet at VolunteerSpot.com and send out and email with the link it is easy.  I learned about the site on https://room-mom101.blogspot.com/2011/08/great-room-parent-tool.html.  Room Mom 101 has other great party ideas.
  • Options

We use this to get people to sign up for stuff

https://www.signupgenius.com/

• Options
    Rotate and do stations- have a game, have a storytelling time, have a craft, and have some snacks. Our school has a sign up sheet for parents to bring things in and volunteer, so that whoever is able to, can help out with their time or with sending items in. It's a system that has worked quite well- no one really knows who the haves and have nots are, kwim? For a lower income area, where there might not be enough $ for things, local businesses, charities like donors.org, and such might be available sources for funding parties. But the easiest thing to do is spread the expense across the families, if at all possible. And the dollar stores are essential- you can get stuff for games, snacks, paper goods, and come in well under that $85...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"