South Florida Babies
Options

Hi! New w/ Question about Dentist

I have a 21 month old that I recently took to the Pedi Dentist cause I have noticed that is teeth some have stains on them. Now, Im pretty familiar with the whole baby bottle nursing syndrome that some babies get for going to sleep with a bottle. My DH had it when he was a baby and they had to extract his two front teeth at a very young age cause of how bad it got. So, I didn't want Jonah to get it. I've been really bad in the past about letting him fall asleep with the bottle of milk. Just regular milk. No sugar added. Apparently I had a stupid moment or lets say moments and now poor Jonah has 8 yes 8 (!!!) cavities. One that has already caused a pit like hole in one of his front teeth.

So the dentist says cause he is too young she wants to put him to sleep and fill all his cavities before they get worse (to the point where they might put crowns on him, yuck!!). I seeked a 2nd and 3rd opinion on that and due to his age no its the best way. So, I was ok with it. Just get it done and let it be over with. Well, turns out my insurance doesnt cover anesthesia so now i'm stuck in step one. 

Ive rambled but now with my question. Anyone knows of a pedi dentist that you recommend to help me with my problem. The dentist im with right now doesn't think Jonah will be able to handle the drilling while awake. Ugh! Im so stressed over this! I dont want his teeth to get worse! I brush them everyday and dip his brush in a mouth rinse for kids and scrub his teeth with that too. 

Thanks, 

Frustrated in Miami :(

Re: Hi! New w/ Question about Dentist

• Options
    I would seek a second opinion. Have you tried South Miami Pediatrics ---Dr. Mario Martinez and Dr. Mark Webman.. Always hear good things about them..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To be honest with you, if I had 8 cavities, I would want to be knocked out.  Check and see if perhaps they have a payment plan or are will to work with you.  Good luck!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi, I used the South Miami pediatrics office recommended by n&j1010 above.  The doctor we used was Dr. Jorge Landa, and he and all of the staff were great.  My daughter is 28 months old and needed crowns on her 2 front teeth after she fell and damaged them.  They did not give her full anesthesia, but a sedative to make her drowsy so they could keep her quiet during the procedure.  I don't know if that would be something they could do for your son.

They didn't take insurance, so we had to pay a deposit to cover the sedative (which was $750!) and then had to pay the rest at the time of the procedure.  But if you are having 8 cavities worked on, maybe they would offer some sort of payment plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"