Health & Exercise

Ab workouts safe during pregnancy?

I've read a lot of conflicting answers to this question on various websites, but what is your experience or what have you been told? Are ab workouts safe to do while pregnant?

Re: Ab workouts safe during pregnancy?

• Just saw this ab "workout" on fitpregnancy.com this evening.  It's nothing major, but a few moves to keep your abs in shape.

https://www.fitpregnancy.com/workouts/prenatal-workouts/strong-and-centered 

• Laying flat on your back and doing situps?  Probably not okay.

But working your abs in other ways (standing core exercises, side planks, swiss ball) is a great way to keep your abs strong and will help with pushing during labor.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

Laying flat on your back and doing situps?  Probably not okay.

But working your abs in other ways (standing core exercises, side planks, swiss ball) is a great way to keep your abs strong and will help with pushing during labor.

This, although you can continue to do normal crunches and situps until you're 16 weeks. I kept up with planks, muffin tops, side taps, etc until 30-ish weeks. After that though, my baby was breech and my OB asked me to stop as he was concerned that my core was too strong to allow the baby to flip head down. Now that he's head down, I got the okay to get back into it. It's nice to be 36 weeks and still be able to sit up when I need to and not have to roll around like a turtle ;)

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • I will steer far away from any ab workouts.  Your muscles in your abdomen are moving and stretching and doing anytype of workout to strengthen them may cause them to not go back together in the right place as before.  I'm not an expert, but my instincts and what I have read say steer clear of them if I want to have a tight tummy anywhere down the road.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I continued my workouts including ab exercises as long as they felt comfortable. I never had a problem being on my back. If it is a problem, you will know it - you'll be lightheaded and nauseous.

I believe in listening to your body and doing what feels right. I continued regular yoga to 34 weeks, as well as weightlifting. I scaled back on the lifting as I felt I needed to, but I never adhered to any "thou shall not" one size fits all weight limits or exercise limits. My pregnancy went well, my baby is and was perfectly healthy, and my labour and delivery went really well. I hardly think that letting your core work go for 9 months is the way to a healthy pregnancy or a quicker recovery.

• I've heard 20 weeks as the cutoff for doing exercises while laying on your back... but I think the whole idea is when your bump is at the point where it is heavy enough to potential limit blood flow through your aorta/vena cava (the large arteries that run down your body) you should limit the time that you are on your back. Exercises like pelvic tilts and planks are ok as long as you're comfortable!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

• I didn't do any core work with DD1 and lost a lot of muscle tone in my abs after she was born.  If I was holding her and laying down on the couch, I would have to pull myself up with my arms.  With DD2, I stayed off my back after I was out of the first trimester, but continued exercising my abs.  I had no problems sitting up after DD2 was born and had an even faster recovery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • imagetokenhoser:

I continued my workouts including ab exercises as long as they felt comfortable. I never had a problem being on my back. If it is a problem, you will know it - you'll be lightheaded and nauseous.

I believe in listening to your body and doing what feels right. I continued regular yoga to 34 weeks, as well as weightlifting. I scaled back on the lifting as I felt I needed to, but I never adhered to any "thou shall not" one size fits all weight limits or exercise limits. My pregnancy went well, my baby is and was perfectly healthy, and my labour and delivery went really well. I hardly think that letting your core work go for 9 months is the way to a healthy pregnancy or a quicker recovery.

All of this, except insert Pilates where yoga is. 

• YES! You can do most ab exercises while pregnant, and usually it is recommended to do so. By the second tirmenster you are not supposed to do exercises on flat on your back, but from what i understand ypu can at a decline, it doesnt put the same pressure on the babys blood supply.There are tons of exercises you can do standing, or on your sides, even sitting that are valuable.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • This logic really doesnt work, because ab work durring prehnancy will make the whole thing easier. Labor, recovery etc. Your body is resilliant, but you cant let it go completely because then you will be starting off in a far worse place than if you dont exercise.ab exerciaes will also help mitigate back pain associated with the awkward weight gain of pregnancy.
    VOTE on my Name List
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"