Health & Exercise

bad needs any good workouts to lose weight?

can you guys recommend a good workout dvd for a person with bad knees

Re: bad needs any good workouts to lose weight?

• imageCrash Into Me:

If your knees are bad, it's best to find out what is causing the pain as you should be able to strengthen everything surrounding the knee.

Otherwise, stick to walking or swimming.

Swimming for sure with bad knees, it's a great way to workout the whole body without putting a huge amount of strain on it. 

• My left ACL is overstretched and they've wanted to do surgery on it for years, but it would have taken me out of dance, softball and volleyball in high school and college. I still do Zumba. If my knee hurts, I switch to low impact moves instead of the high impact ones. Aqua Zumba can really get your heart rate up, too. I really suck at "exercise swimming" because I've never really known what to do or how to swim laps for it correctly.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP in that you need to link up with a good sports ortho and PT and get the knee issue figured out.  If you need surgery to correct it, get it done!  You aren't doing anyone a favor by being miserable or using it as an excuse.  All too often people don't get it fixed when the reality is that the down time is incredibly minimal and you'll come back stronger (one of my training partners just ripped his bicep tendon off 5 weeks ago (not in the gym), he's 4 weeks post-op and squatting/benching close to where he was pre-op... 

For me my knee issues pretty much were from my hips being out of alignment or muscles that needed to be strengthened (some were overdeveloped to the point that they were pushing the knee cap out of place)...  The thing is, if I hadn't gone in I'd never know what was going on nor just how simple/easy it is for me to fix the problem in any given training session.  I also weight train and if you're using proper form and technique for YOUR body, your knees won't hurt regardless of what you do.  I've also got early signs of arthritis in my knees but they feel great.  Sure, I train with knee sleeves just to lend an extra level of stability to the joint, but at the same time, I use good form and other than overdeveloping a muscle, my knees never bug me.

That's your first step before trying to develop a workout and training plan...  If you've got knees as an excuse now, it'll be far too convenient for you to use it down the road, get it fixed, then think about a training plan.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"