Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Hershey Med Center

Anyone use Hershey Med for their Labor and Delivery? pros? cons?
Number 3 Here we come! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hershey Med Center

• Options

I did and I loved it, the doctors and nurses were wonderful and they have the highest level of NICU in the area and I was glad they did because we eneded up using it.

I can't say they are any better or worse than any other area hospital since I don't have experience.  I would say find an OB that you love and go with the hospital they have privileges with.  I happended to use Women's Health in Hershey and so it was just natural that I would use the hospital they are affiliated with.

My SIL delivered in Harrisburg and loved it and my BFF used Holy Spirit two times and loved them.

Personally the only one I would not use is Carlisle, but that is just a personal preference.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thankyou for your input. I know they are one of the best hospitols in the area, and I have my OB which deals with Hershey, we just in the past 2 years switched over to Hershey from Lancaster and my only experience with Hershey is my regular family doctor and the ER, but I just met with my OB and I love him, he is great, so I'm sure I will love it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Actually thinking of possibly switching there.  I am early in my pregnancy, and using WHC in Lebanon.  Only had 1 visit, but just am not feeling it.  Any other ideas in the Lebanon area??
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I had my first daughter in Lebanon she was born in Good Sam, and my dr was my family Dr, Dr Nazeeri, he is nice, I have friends who have not liked him though, you can see if there is a May Grant there, but Womens and Babies in Lancaster is bfar amazing. Loved it. they have a May Grant in the actual hospitol if there is not one in your area and if you know where Park City is, it's right up the road from there.
  • Options
    Thanks, will be doing some research this week.  I met with a doula yesterday that mentioned May Grant and Woman's and Babies in Lancaster.  Will be on my list of places to check out.  Thanks again.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Just a reminder... Hershey is a teaching hospital. There are students throughout the hospital. They have been known to show up in the delivery room.
  • Options
    I know that is the one thing that does bother me a little.  I mean I understand the process and all, but not sure how I would feel about it. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    My sister who is a nurse in Haeeisburg said just to make sure if you have an epidural ask for the dr, not a resident. when it comes to a huge needle in your spinal column, you dont want any mistakes from a student! And you can ask early on to keep the students out of the room.
  • Options

imagesrs5624:
    Just a reminder... Hershey is a teaching hospital. There are students throughout the hospital. They have been known to show up in the delivery room.

This.  My mom had my brother there almost 12 years ago, but when he arrived, he came so fast that it was actually a resident that caught him.  She said after the fact that while she knew they had to learn somewhere, she wouldn't opt for that experience again.

That said, they ARE a fantastic hospital and if, God forbid, we'd be in need of a NICU, Hershey would be the first place we'd go.  Their quality is far and away the best in the area.  DH worked as a chaplain in the children's hospital a few years ago and cannot say enough good things about the doctors and nurses there.

• Options
    I'm also a patient of Women's Health and delivered at Hershey Med. The nurses there were fantastic! The LC's were also great! The doctors were great, but dealing with the residents were a pain in the butt. I also saw them throughout my pregnancy. They seem to be overly cautious. They err on the side of caution which for me meant dealing with more tests than a seasoned doc would have ordered. I also had some issues during labor and delivery with residents and I will consider requesting no residents my next time around.... which will also take place at Hershey. For me, the reassurance of the NICU is enough to put aside any other grievance I may have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am considering the same options.... Has anyone had a natural birth at Hershey Med?  I am wondering if they are supportive of mothers trying to forgo unnecessary interventions??  What is the set up of the birthing area (privacy, environment, tubs?)
  • Options

imagesrs5624:

That's actually one of the reasons I love Hershey.  The next generation of docs has got to learn somehow, so I think it's kind of an honor to participate in that process.

Regarding natural births, though, I'd definitely discuss it with your OBGYN early.  Not to say the hospital is against them, but I'm unaware of any birthing rooms or facilities other than the regular L&D rooms.  They're fairly spacious and typically have a birthing ball, shower and rocker, but no tubs that I know of.  And while I wanted to try to go as long as I could without an epi, they did hook me up to a couple of machines as soon as I walked in the door (blood pressure, belly band fetal heart rate monitor, and eventually the heart rate monitor they stick on the baby's head).  I stuck it out as long as I could, but every time I tried to move, stretch, rock, walk, etc. I was tripping over cords and unplugging the god-forsaken machines.  Not exactly conducive to pushing thru the pain. :)

Granted it was a med student who hooked me up to everything, and all of that likely wasn't necessary.  But all the docs & residents were in the middle of three deliveries and an emergency c-section when I came in, so I just rolled with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"