Upstate NY Babies
Options

Which doc would you talk to about this (DS)

Owen is an oral kid and seems to be putting more and more in his mouth.  Mostly toys and his thumb, but the occasional sleeve or shoe (ew).  He also chews food for a ridiculous amount of time (def meat....will chew a tiny piece for 5 minutes) and still only eats pureed veggies.  We are seeing his ENT, dentist and pediatrician all in the next month.  Any guesses as to if any of them would be helpful?  The ENT is a jerk, the pedi has her own agenda and he has never had an actual exam at the dentist, so who knows.  I wish I had an OT friend to talk to!

Edit:  He also drools and shouldn't be getting any teeth that I know of!  

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10

Re: Which doc would you talk to about this (DS)

• Options
    Early Intervention with the county.  I would request a speech and occupational therapist evaluation.
  • Options

You can call EI on your own :)

Otherwise I'd bring it up with your pedi 

Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTinyPinkBug:
    Early Intervention with the county.  I would request a speech and occupational therapist evaluation.

I go with this suggestion... 

imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If Owen is going to be three in a few weeks, he is too old for Early Intervention.  You will need to call the school district, then probably wait until after his birthday.

And get his one of these, or this, or this.  He needs to stop chewing on toys and other non-chewable objects at his age.  Give him something more appropriate to redirect that oral need.  You can try a chew necklace too, there are lots.  Tyler prefered a chew tube though.

• Options

Thank you for your input!  I used to work with speech therapists and OTs all of the time, and have seen preschoolers with some of these issues, but I am out of the teaching thing right now, and agree that we may need to have him actually evaluated.   Our pediatrician wasn't concerned about it in the past, but I think I will be insistent this time (now that he is going to be 3).  I was thinking about the ENT because I think he has overactive salivary glands.  I forgot to mention that he drools a little.  The dentist will side-eye me when I say how much he sucks his thumb now :/  Anyway, thanks again! 

Thanks TinyPinkBug for the links.  I really appreciate it!  I know some of the chewing got worse because DD is teething like crazy and they go back and forth mimicking each other, but he definitely has a "need" to chew.  

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options
    Definitely contact your district's CPSE. You don't need any of your doctor's referrals for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"