South Jersey Babies

annoyed

im 34 and i have been going to my ob-gyn for 11 years now. im about to be 8 weeks pregnant and she refuses to do an ultrasound until im 18 weeks. im sorry but im a nervous wreck because i want a pic or just to hear the heartbeat. She tries to tell me that most insurance co's won't pay until 18 weeks if there are no medical concerns. Ok yes im healthy and have no issues but how can she make me wait on my first pregnancy when many of my co-workers especially one that is due 10 days before me with no medical concerns has had ultrasounds at this time? Im getting quite annoyed with her.  My co-workers can't believe that i have not had an ultrasound yet and we all have the same insurance. Can someone please tell me what to do.?

Re: annoyed

• It's pretty routine to only have one ultrasound around 18-20 weeks.  Usually you only have extra ultrasounds if you are high risk or the baby is at risk for something.  Most insurance companies will not pay for elective ultrasounds. 

Around your 12 week appointment your doctor will use a doppler to hear the heartbeat.  As long as you have no issues there really isn't a need for an ultrasound.

• I insisted on having the Quad screen @ 12 weeks (tests for NT defects like Spinabifida and some of the trisomy disorders) with all 3 of my girls. If she doesn't "offer" it to you, you can still ask to have it done and she can't refuse, but you should make sure your insurance covers it. Mine did.

I know it's hard to wait, but usually people who have early u/s only have them because something could be wrong (cramping, spotting, etc.) or because they are unsure when they conceived, but since you know your due date that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I do NOT condone or endorse it, but I have heard of a few women during my years on the Bump Trimester boards that have faked having cramping and spotting just so their Drs would have a medical reason to do an u/s.   

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • image3Girls3xsTheFun:

I insisted on having the Quad screen @ 12 weeks (tests for NT defects like Spinabifida and some of the trisomy disorders) with all 3 of my girls. If she doesn't "offer" it to you, you can still ask to have it done and she can't refuse, but you should make sure your insurance covers it. Mine did.

I know it's hard to wait, but usually people who have early u/s only have them because something could be wrong (cramping, spotting, etc.) or because they are unsure when they conceived, but since you know your due date that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I do NOT condone or endorse it, but I have heard of a few women during my years on the Bump Trimester boards that have faked having cramping and spotting just so their Drs would have a medical reason to do an u/s.   

Good luck!

Please don't do this!  You'll be taking an emergency appointment away from a woman who may actually need it.

I've had a m/c so I know the stress you feel when you don't have 100% proof positive that things are going well.  I hate to sounds like a jerk but even if you do get an ultrasound this early there is nothing you can do to prevent something from going wrong, even if it is detected early.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know it is frustrating, and annoying, but be happy that you are healthy and don't need to be monitored extra.  A lot of times, it is the practice that wont do the u/s's.  What practice/doctor do you see?

I was kinda in the same situation when I had my son.  My close friend/co worker was due 3 months after me, and I was SHOCKED that she was only getting an anatomy scan at 20 weeks. She goes to a small practice that does not have the equipment handy.  I was a high risk pregnancy, and had u/s at 7w, 8w, 9w, 11w, 12w (nt scan), 14w, 18w (anatomy scan), 22w, 26w, 32w, 34w, and 36w with my son.  I literally have a whole album of ultrasound pics.   My 2nd pregnancy was worse!  from week 32 on, I had weekly BPP's (bio physical profiles), NST's (non stress tests) and then from weeks 35-39, it was bi-weekly! 

relish in the fact that you are not high risk, that you don't have complications and that you have a baby growing!  Call and ask if you can come in for a doppler check.. most practices will do that.

• I second Garden State ObGyn in Voorhees!  There are about 18 doctors/nurse practitioners to choose from and I've liked them all so far.  They are also ultrasound happy lol. 
  • I third GS OB/Gyn.  They also used the portable u/s on me until I was 16 weeks along.  They used it at my first appointment and I was so early along that there wasn't even a h/b yet.

They were fantastic throughout my pregnancy.  They didn't push me into an induction (although I did end up needing one).  I never felt rushed and every question I had they could answer.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thank you all for the info.  No i have not been referred for the pre-screening for the Down Syndrome and whatever else they test for. i don't go back to her until the 24th, i will be 11 weeks by then and will be my third visit. The problem is she is the practice and i think she is old school. my co-worker goes to north dover here in toms river where they have a few doctors. the only thing is i have to worry about is when i go in labor i may not have any of their doctor(s) from there and i could end up with doctors  from another practice.
  • I really don't understand why you haven't had an ultrasound yet. My OB sends all his patients to the Maternal Fetal Medicine at AtlantiCare Medical Center in Pomona. I have had 3 completely healthy pregnancies and had ultrasounds at 8, 12 and 20 weeks. (more for 1st due to growth issues and for this pregnancy for a cyst on my ovary) I'm not sure where you are located in South Jersey but I use Advance Care OB/GYN. He has offices in Absecon and in Linwood. Both very easy to get to. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • If you choose to have the NT scan you will have an ultrasound at 12 weeks. Also my OB asked if I was "Crampy" ;);) to get me in at 8 weeks for an ultrasound.
                     7/08, 1/12, 2/14, Due with baby #4  2/12/16 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i have absolutely no symptoms such as morning sickness, had a few bouts with nausea but was quick. i don't have any stretching feeling as much, no bleeding or spotting, but definitely hungry. i just hope everything is ok. at times i just don't feel pregnant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"