August 2011 Moms
Options

Transitioning from bouncy seat to PnP for sleeping

I have had my daughter sleeping in her bouncy seat most of the time so far (she's closing in on 7 weeks old) because we didn't get a bassinet and she is teeny (a little over 8 lb). We'll be traveling in a couple of weeks and won't be able to take the bouncy seat along.

Anyone made a similar transition from inclined sleep position to the flat-on-her-back position? Ideas for how I can do this? I've tried just putting her down on her back for naps or night and she only sleeps about 20-30 minutes before waking up. I think this might mean she's not yet able to fall back asleep when she wakes up. She has no trouble doing this in the bouncy seat, though. We do swaddle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Transitioning from bouncy seat to PnP for sleeping

• Options

Our DD naps in the bouncy and sleeps in the PnP at night and she doesn't sleep as well in the PnP. One trick that works for us is to really make sure she is in deep sleep before we put her in there. I wait until her arms are slack and she is totally relaxed. If I don't she groans all night, from what I think might be gas problems. I also have my iPod with white noise that I put on and that also helps to keep her asleep.

Also, we had to get a pad to put on the mattress because it was super hard for her. After getting the pad it works way better. They have them at BRS and Target, so probably any baby store. It only adds a tiny bit of pad, but going from her soft chair to the hard PnP was a shock for her at first.

GL!!

• Options
    I remember seeing a suggestion somewhere of putting something under one side of the mattress to slightly incline it. Not sure if that will work (I haven't tried it het, we are still in the rock n play)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagetourqeyes:
    I remember seeing a suggestion somewhere of putting something under one side of the mattress to slightly incline it. Not sure if that will work (I haven't tried it het, we are still in the rock n play)

I would also give this a try. But a word of caution: our Pedi wanted us to try this for LO when thought he might have some reflux issues as a newborn. (turns out it was the formula he was being supplemented with, once my supply can in we didn't have reflux anymore.) LO is an active sleeper. Alwys wiggling and squirming. He ended up sliding down because of the propped up mattress and was stuck in the corner one morning - face first, but luckily not tightly.

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSarahRuthG:

imagetourqeyes:

I would also give this a try. But a word of caution: our Pedi wanted us to try this for LO when thought he might have some reflux issues as a newborn. (turns out it was the formula he was being supplemented with, once my supply can in we didn't have reflux anymore.) LO is an active sleeper. Alwys wiggling and squirming. He ended up sliding down because of the propped up mattress and was stuck in the corner one morning - face first, but luckily not tightly.

We were having the same thing happen with our LO.  She is on an incline because she is super stuffy, and it helps a bit for her to be upright.  Now I roll up two muslin receiving blankets and stick them on each side of her under her armpits (she likes her arms in the "touchdown" pose when she sleeps.  It has stopped her from waking herself up during the night (she was previously sleeping in her swing and liked the tightness of it).  I was originally worried about her suffocating on them so I would sit in her room and read while she napped but she has yet to get her face near them.

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    So, my current tack is to have her "try" sleeping in the crib or PnP a time or two each day (lasts about 20 minutes), but let her sleep in the bouncy seat still so that she gets her rest and doesn't become an overtired grouchy mess. Last night, she slept 8 hours in the bouncy seat. I feel so silly for messing with a good thing ... but I don't want to be completely across the country (going from NC to CA!) in a few weeks with a kid who won't sleep at all.
  • Options
    Yay! She's been sleeping in the PnP for 3 hours so far! She was totally asleep when I put her in there, though, so who knows if it will "work" in the future. But at least I know it's possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"