VBAC

XP: Baby is rather large!

I also posted this on Natural Birth...

I had another ultrasound today (growth scan because of MTHFR and making sure blood flow is looking good) and the baby is between the 82nd and 92 percentiles (depending on which computer they used) and 5 lbs. 9 oz. and 5 lbs. 12 oz.  I'm in the process of searching for percentile charts to see where those percentiles put the baby at birth.  DS was 8 lbs. 3 oz. at 39w1d.  I'm having a VBAC and JUST switched to a midwife this week.  My doctor had been telling me that if it seems like "we're looking at a 9 lb. baby," she wouldn't recommend a VBAC.  I'm curious to see what the midwives have to say.  I still want to try to labor, but definitely want to do some research on VBACs of big babies.  I've been doing hypnobirthing, but I have to say that I am having some doubts at the moment.  I need to really dive into the book and finish it to inspire myself a bit more.  I was definitely a little thrown off today because I had an ultrasound 4 weeks ago and was told the baby was 3 lbs. 1 oz. and in the 57th percentile.  Apparently, when they put the info into a different computer system, it said 82nd percentile.  I'm not quite sure why they'd be using equipment that differs so much...

Anyone else having a biiiiig baby?  Have you come across any inspirational birth stories about particularly big babies?
Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
Currently TTC Baby #3

Re: XP: Baby is rather large!

• Because "estimating" weight is a complete guessing game. I was told at 36wk that DD was 9lb!!. 2 weeks later she was born at 8lb 1oz and just really long (21in). They said that long babies throw off their "estimates". DS was 8lb9oz, but considering he didn't come until 41wk2d and I had GD, I thought he was pretty small for gestating so long (my 2nd OB did not play guessing games with weight, so no "estimate" for that one).

9lb is big. But it's not so big that it can't come out.

- Jena
  • My first son was s c-section for OP positioning - I pushed for 4+ hours and he just wasn't coming out. He was 8 lb, 4 oz. My second son was a VBAC and was 10 lb, 10 oz and 23.5". I was overdue (though I didn't really know my exact due date), and I refused an u/s the day before I went into labor. I hadn't had any late sizing u/s with him or anything, so had no idea he was going to be that big. I pushed for two hours with him, and had a second degree tear.

See what your midwives say! The recommended course of action for suspected macrosomia is vaginal birth, and a hands-off one, at that. I would also ask for any and all u/s records for your MW to look at. The fact that the results were so different within weeks seems shady. It's definitely good you're switching providers. Good luck!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • I had a 9 lb. VBAC baby and as you can see from pp they had ever larger ones!  Anything is possible and I would not worry to much about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a VBAC with a 9lb 1oz baby. You can do it! I know a teeny tiny girl who pushed out a 10lb-er. It happens all the time, try not to let size discourage you. Your body won't make a baby that is too big for you (assuming you're healthy and don't have something like GD)!
  • After they pulled my first out, holding her and looking right at her, not through an ultrasound, a doctor said she was "probably under 5 kilos." She was 3.3 kilos (7.5 lbs). I was never given an exact measurement, but I was repeatedly told my second was "HUGE!" and "way bigger than her sister was." She was 1 ounce more. So nope, never had a big baby, but I can't say I put a lot of stock into estimations.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageLuhdashuh:
    Dd2 was 9.5 at birth and I had a successful vbac. I refused u/s for weight estimates b/c that is what led to my first c/s and the estimate was 1 1/2 lbs over dd1s birthweight, so nobody had any idea how big dd2 would be which I think helped. Is there anyway you can ask them not to do weight estimates if you need routine u/s for other reasons?

I think I'm too curious to not want to find out when I go for my next ultrasound in 3 1/2 weeks.  No one can force me to have a c-section because of the baby's size, so I am definitely prepared to tell them that I want to try for a vaginal birth anyway.  I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I'm doing hypnobirthing and I just read in my book that it is especially good for VBACs because of how much more relaxed the uterus is.

Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"