Multiples
Options

No more MFM?

First some background info: I switched OBs a couple of weeks ago for convenience purposes (new one is much closer than my original OB) and he told me to keep my next appointment with MFM, which was this past Monday. I've been seeing MFM every 4 weeks since the first trimester. Babies are great with the exception of Baby A having a marginal cord insertion and Baby B having a 2-vessel cord; this puts both at risk for growth restriction. At this point they are measuring 13oz and 14oz and no other anomalies have been detected. 

Today I had my biweekly prenatal appointment and he said there is no need to continue seeing MFM at this point. He'll do growth and anatomy scans right in the OB office every two weeks starting next week until I reach 28 weeks, then I'll have weekly scans along with an NST which is done on the labor and delivery unit. This is the same that my MFM was planning to do. If there are any problems, the OB would send me back to MFM.

Would you guys be ok with letting your OB do this? I'm confident that my OB will be thorough but in the back of my mind, I'm also thinking that the MFM is specifically trained in high risk pregnancies and sees MoMs more frequently. Am I over thinking this? I would be thrilled not to have to make the hour commute to and from MFM but don't want to risk something happening to my babies either.

alicia & joseph, married 9/4/10 expecting twins 2/9/2012 two beautiful daughters from prior marriage, ages 7 & 4 one angel baby boy in heaven Pregnancy Ticker http://consumedbyendo.blogspot.com/

Re: No more MFM?

• Options
    I saw my MFM twice. Once for the genetic consultation and NT scan at 13.5 weeks and once for the anatomy scan at 19.5 weeks. I haven't been back since. If there are no problems/complications then your regular OB should be able to take care of everything else I would assume.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There is no way that I would not have seen my MFM.  I saw mine every 4 weeks from the second tri. up until week 35.  I would be adamant that you see the MFM until the end.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmm, idk.  it sounds like you already have higher than normal/typical risk for problems, particularly growth problems.  there could be other problems associated with that as well.  it's your call... if you think the OB knows his stuff and is going to closely monitor you, then perhaps it's okay.  i have no experience with those issues, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not having ID's (not sure if you are either but I assume so) but I've never seen and MFM.  My OB does it all in his office.  I have had zero problems and babies are perfect with nothing ever showing up on the u/s that is questionable.  If I were you I would say that your OB has it pretty much under control considering ALL the testing he will be doing over the last half of your pregnancy.  If he seeing any problem hes going to send you right back to the MFM.  I would be comfortable seeing your new OB only in my opinion but I'm sure others will feel strongly different. 

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• Options

I saw my MFM every other week until around 24wks then it stopped since there was no reason for concern with LOs. Spent 2 mths seeing OB once a month for u/s and now since 32wks going 2x a week to OB. once a week for u/s, non stress and check up and again later in the week for another non stress. 

Im sure if they see reason for you to go back they will send you, multiples seem to get lots of extra care from docs since there is a higher risk. You could always address your OB about it and ease your mind. GL 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"