Austin Babies
Options

Foodies: What do I do with Hatch green chiles?

Several weeks ago I was walking through our supermarket out here in Virginia horse country when I turned a corner and saw piles -- PILES!!! -- of Hatch green chiles.  This being Virginia, this is not normal.  In fact, I've never seen them here before.  So of course I bought a lot of them.

I roasted them, then peeled them and froze them, and now I have two pounds of frozen Hatch green chiles in my freezer.  We're having pork chile verde tonight, which uses up approximately .0096 of my total chile stash.

Anybody have any good recipes to share?

Thanks! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Foodies: What do I do with Hatch green chiles?

• Options
    Yes!!  I have an awesome recipe for Hatch BBQ chicken tacos.  I have to run right now, but I'll post it later.  They'd also be super yummy in Fly's creamy chicken enchiladas.  I think her recipe calls for the canned variety, but fresh is always better Smile  Oh and you might check out Central Market's website.  Last month they had a whole Hatch Chile Festival complete with tons of recipes.  I bet they're still up.
  • Options

I am not a foodie and don't have any recipes, but I put them over baked chicken, in macaroni and cheese ... let me think.

In queso, in salsa, with tamale's ...

Oh, in eggs - scrambled or an omlette.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    In corn bread, eggs, Mac and cheese. Google the recipe for Chuy's green hatch sauce it is delicious!!
    image.
  • Options

Thanks, ladies!  This is exactly the kind of inspiration I need.  In my excitement over finding the chiles and buying gobs of them, I kinda forgot that I've never cooked with them.  I just really like eating them.  And now that I have this delicious-yet-intimidating prize in my freezer, my brain just kinda froze WRT using them.

I would never have thought of putting them in "ordinary" things like mac-n-cheese!  And I'll check out those links too.

Thanks again!

Oh, and in the interest of reciprocity, this is what we ate tonight (minus the red chile salsa) and it was deeeeeelicious!  Definitely don't skip the dollop of sour cream on it, though.  It adds necessary balance.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Chile-Verde-with-Red-Chile-Salsa-363730 

• Options

I am from New Mexico and we bag and freeze pounds of this each year, we hoard it like squirrels with nuts for winter. By the summer we trade it in our family like it's currency. "Oh, you still have green chile? I'll give you ___ for it." 

1) chile rellenos

2) cheesey chicken enchiladas

3) green chile meat for breakfast with eggs or in a burrito for lunch

4) on cheeseburgers!

5)  in soup

6)  as a sauce for various spicy things (like nachos!)

7) chile con queso

i can post recipes if needed :P

• Options
    imageRadonOrchid:

I am from New Mexico and we bag and freeze pounds of this each year, we hoard it like squirrels with nuts for winter. By the summer we trade it in our family like it's currency. "Oh, you still have green chile? I'll give you ___ for it." 

1) chile rellenos

2) cheesey chicken enchiladas

3) green chile meat for breakfast with eggs or in a burrito for lunch

4) on cheeseburgers!

5)  in soup

6)  as a sauce for various spicy things (like nachos!)

7) chile con queso

i can post recipes if needed :P

I'd love to have your recipe for chile rellenos! 

• Options

this looks yum yum yum

https://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2011/08/hatch-chile-apple-cobbler.html

there are other hatch recipes on her blog too. 

I missed them this year :

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I bought out Whole Food's stock of hatch green chiles last year in Chapel Hill. I saw them and was GIDDY!  I did the same thing - roast and froze, and ate them all year.

RadonOrchid's ideas are pretty much what I do, too - and I SO want that chile relleno recipe as well!

The only thing I'd add, is Green Chile Pork stew.. grab your crock pot, throw in a pork tenderloin, four green chiles, some tomatillo sauce and a ton of veggies - YUM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"