Baby Names
Options

Pronunciation question

One of the names at the top of our list is Lucia or Luciana.  How would you pronounce it...Loo-see-ah or Loo-chee-ah.  I wouldn't want my possible DD to have to constantly correct people. 

If it helps, we have a very long, very Italian last name.

Re: Pronunciation question

• Options
    I would say Loo-sha like the island of St. Lucia. And therefore would probably say Loo-shee-ah-na. I'm sure that's not correct though...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would say Loo-see-uh
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sigh. This is the name I tried to talk my husband into for both our girls. He said it was too ethnic. Whatever.

For what it's worth, I want to pronounce it Loo-CHEE-a, because it's my great-grandmother's name, and we're Italian. I think it's the most beautiful pronunciation.

I know someone who has a Loo-sha and someone with a Loo-cha.

I think you'll always have to tell people how to pronounce it, but oh well. If you love it, use it - for me. :)

• Options

Lucia - I immediately say Loo-see-uh, but it could be Loo-sha as well.

Luciana - Loo-see-ah-nuh

imageimageimageimageimage
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

imagebrookelynpaisley:
    I would say Loo-see-uh

This.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options

imagebrookelynpaisley:
    I would say Loo-see-uh

me too.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My daughter is Lucia, and we pronounce it Loo-see-uh. I originally liked it Loo-chee-uh, but then DH and I decided we liked the other pronunciation better.

FWIW, we always get compliments on her name. It's not common, but not youneek, so it was the perfect name for us!

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • Options
    I went to HS with a Lucia. She pronounced it Loo see uh
  • Options
    For the name Loo-see-uh, for the island I say Loo-sha. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagedejavu22:

Lucia - I immediately say Loo-see-uh, but it could be Loo-sha as well.

Luciana - Loo-see-ah-nuh

This. I love both of the names though! 

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My daughter's name is Luciana :) DH is Italian, so we pronouce it the way Italians would:

loo-CHAN-a  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers twins born at 36 wks Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageSeussicalOne:
    For the name Loo-see-uh, for the island I say Loo-sha. 

Yup, this.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It depends.. I have a friend who's name is Luci, I always call her Lucia (Loo-Chee-ha) but it's cuz she's mexican and that's what all the mexicans that come into our job all her. If it was a little white girl I would probably call her Lucia (Loo-see-ah). But that's just me. (please don't get affended by my comment, I'm mexican too)
    a>Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Loo-see-uh
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I think if people see Italian they will assume loo-CHEE-ah Our Lucia is loo-SEE-ah, and so far only one person has mispronounced it, and they called her LOO-shuh. I think all 3 are beautiful, can't go wrong. FWIW, if people see it written most of the time they ask how it's pronounced. Not a big deal.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would say Loo-see-yah , but if it was Luciana I'd say it the traditional Loo-chee-Ana
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options

If I saw it paired with an Italian last name, my instinct would be to pronounce it Loo-chee-uh.

Loo-chee-ah-nuh, however, doesn't really roll off my tongue. I also can't help thinking of mobster Lucky Luciano when I see the name.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would pronounce oit the Italian way

LoucheeuhLouchee anah

• Options
    I have a friend named Luciana- her parents are from Italy and she's a first-generation American, so it was intended to be pronounced "Loo-chee-anna" but has become "Loo-see-anna".  It's something they chose to do as a child because of all the mispronunciations I guess, but her italian family still says it with the proper intonation.
  • Options
    imagebrookelynpaisley:
    I would say Loo-see-uh
    this
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My cousin's name is Lucia and she pronounces it loot-SEE-ah. She's Slovenian though. I don't know how to write that sound other than with a T, but it's clearly not as loose as loo-see-ah.
  • Options

I would pronounce Lucia as Loo-see-ya, but I knew a Lucian from Romania, so I want to pronounce it Loo-chi-yana.  I don't know why I want to pronounce them so differently even though they come from the same name.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersimage
  • Options

imagebaconface:
    I would immediately think Loo-CHEE-uh, especially if I saw an Italian last name.

I looooove this name! Our DD#1 has an Italian name and we are considering Luciana if we have another!

In regards to LUCIA- The traditional Italian way (and I guess correct way b/c it IS Italian) to say it is "Lou-chee-ah" but most non-Italian speakers (I think) pronounce it Lou-see-ah.  If it matters, I prefer Lou-see-ah, even though it is technically incorrect.

As for the people who are pronouncing it Lou-sha (as in St. Lucia island), that is just.... not correct. Sorry. Not to be mean, but.... no.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would go with loo-sha and loo-she-ana
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imagejkjtde:

One of the names at the top of our list is Lucia or Luciana.  How would you pronounce it...Loo-see-ah or Loo-chee-ah.  I wouldn't want my possible DD to have to constantly correct people. 

If it helps, we have a very long, very Italian last name.

Loo-sha and Loo-chee-an-na

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"