Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Diarrhea??

Our LO has had 3 diarrhea diapers within the last 24 hours but no other "sick" symptoms, no fever, eating/acting normal. We haven't changed anything in his diet, he is teething and spitting up a bit (but it doesn't seem anymore than normal and also doesn't seemed phased by it).  Not sure if I should worry or not.  Paranoid first time mom here...

TIA!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Diarrhea??

• Options
    So the first thing I will ask is if you are sure it's diarrhea. When we made a change to LO's formula, his stools were VERY different and I mistakenly thought they were diarrhea when they weren't.  Diarrhea stools are extremely watery, like no color and you can totally see the water. If they're just wet (or wetter), it may just be because he's drooling a bit more. In any case, if he seems fine otherwise and is still having regular wet diapers, he should be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hepcats, I love you! :) Honestly I'm not 100% sure.  It seems REALLY watery (like when you "lift" the diaper a watery substance moves around the diaper.  However, its normal color.  I just took his temp again and it is 99.0 exactly.  Just going crazy because it's friday and he has never been sick before, and if he is I'm not honsetly sure how to help him, just give him baby ibuprofen and help him rest?  Could this be because of teething?  I need some wine lol :) (just kidding)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

ugh just came here to make this post! though my LO is sick (congested and coughing) but no fever, ears and lungs checked out fine and he is not dehydrated (dr. visit yesterday) but the past three days he has had mucusy/seedy diarrhea in every diaper! The only time he doesnt is in his night time diapers, and everytime he finishes a bottle in about 5 minutes you hear this huge gurgle coming from his butt! It's so stressful, I just want it to stop and go back to his green, sticky clumpy nasty poop! I'll be as happy as a clam when that happens.

I was wondering if its him swallowing the saline drops, swallowing the congestion (phlegm) or he is drooling a lot and I've read that can cause diarrhea because it can act as a laxative. Already have my amber teething necklace on the way 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

no baby ibuprofen.  only tylenol for a fever (100.4+), but that won't really help the diarrhea.

the doctor would just tell you to wait and see.  call if he has 8+ diarrhea diapers in one day.  make sure he's still having a lot of wet diapers (it's hard to tell when the stools are that watery) and if he's not, you can give a little pedialyte to make sure that he doesn't get dehydrated.  

be generous with the diaper rash cream too. 

image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Purdue:

no baby ibuprofen.  only tylenol for a fever (100.4+), but that won't really help the diarrhea.

the doctor would just tell you to wait and see.  call if he has 8+ diarrhea diapers in one day.  make sure he's still having a lot of wet diapers (it's hard to tell when the stools are that watery) and if he's not, you can give a little pedialyte to make sure that he doesn't get dehydrated.  

be generous with the diaper rash cream too. 

thats what i was going to say as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I love you too! Stick out tongue Yeah I would definitely not do the Ibuprofen and the Tylenol you'd really only need to give if he truly had a fever or if he seemed otherwise terribly irritable. That does sound like diarrhea though, the way you've described it. I think of it like this: if we eat something that upsets our tummy, or for me personally, if I get stressed or don't get enough sleep, we get diarrhea sometimes but it doesn't mean we need to see the doctor about it. We only go if it's so much that it causes dehydration which, again, is where the number of wet diapers comes into play. Sometimes babies just get diarrhea but unless it persists and causes dehydration, it's not typically something to be too concerned over.  I hadn't heard that saliva could cause diarrhea but I have heard that it can cause mucousy diapers, so that's normal.

And to the other poster about congestion and coughing and whatnot. My LO has been congested for like a month and recently would start coughing occasionally. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and he doesn't have a fever so I'm not concerned about it. Sometimes that just happens with babies because their nasal cavities are not as mature as ours. Be cautious of doing the whole saline and suck thing too much because that can sometimes cause their little passageways to become more inflamed, making it harder for them to breathe. Too much = probably more than once a day or so??

Anyhoo, here's to everyone's LOs starting to feel better real soon! (cheers)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I will keep an eye on the wet diapers!  Yeah, I didn't really mean giving him meds. now, I meant if what is going on turns into him being truly ill.  Honestly that is my biggest fear is him having a temp and having to give him meds.  Hope everyones baby starts to feel better!!!!!
  • Options
    Our LO has had diarrhea since Wednesday. I mean A LOT! About 6-7 times a day. I called the doctor they said the whole wait and see thing. By Saturday I was so worried I took her in anyways. They said as long as she doesn't get dehydrated (make sure her mouth is moist and is still peeing) just to let it run it's course. I asked how long it could take and she said there is no clear time frame. Only to bring her back if she starts running a fever, starts acting different, or there is blood in her diarrhea. I wish there was just a quick fix for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"