February 2012 Moms
Options

Team green, WWYD?

So, my guy and I had been TTC for over a year before we finally got pg. We went on a vacation in April and while we were away we talked about how we both thought I was pregnant. I got my period a few days after we got home so I never took the test. I don't actually *remember* getting my period, but I have some notes on my calendar that say I did. Anyway, my guy is still convinced that I got pregnant in April, not May. So convinced that he's got me a little worried I might be off by a month, too. At first I thought, well, the baby's gonna come out when it's ready, no biggie. Except that if I go into labor early I will have to go to a hospital instead of delivering at the birth center as I'd planned. I have an appointment with my midwife next Thursday, and I'm going to ask her what she thinks I should do.

Initially, my guy needed to know if we were team blue or pink. We planned to have one ultrasound to find out. At some point, he changed his mind, decided he is 75% sure we are having a boy, so I never got the referral.

The things is, I don't mind not knowing if no one else knows, but if I go get an u/s and the tech can tell, it will kill me to not find out. I mean, I don't want some stranger to know what I'm having if I don't. Does that make sense?

Also, my man is crazy. He gets these ideas in his head and no amount of reasoning will ever convince him. Weirdo. Confused

What would you do? Should I break down and find out the sex or should I get over some stranger knowing when I don't? Ugh.

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am

Re: Team green, WWYD?

• Options

So I'm assuming that you are wanting the u/s for dating purposes? I think you could get an elective and tell the tech that you don't want to know, and would he/she please avoid the naughty bits if they can. Then you can rest assured that they don't know either, but they can take measurements elsewhere and give you a pretty good estimate of how far you are. Head, arm length, tummy, etc. should give them a pretty good idea. But do what you feel when you get there, you could always find out the sex and keep it a secret between the two of you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sorry I'm not gonna be a positive comment here but-- we had out a/s on Tuesday but dont want to know until my family comes in this weekend. We had the tech tell me aunt who lives across the country since she couldnt make it so she could send a care package to us and have it be special for her too, even far away. seemed like a great idea except its only been a few days and what was once a sweet special idea is now KILLING me that all these people know (dr office, and aunt) except for me and SO! 

A thought for maybe a plan C? When we had our a/s they looked at every thing very one piece at a time and had a hard time figuring out whatever LO is- it wasnt as obvious as I thought it might have been. So maybe tell the tech that you dont want to know and dont want it in your record at all-- find a a nice way to say "I dont wanna know and you cant either!"? lol Not sure just a thought to get the birth experience you want. GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so confused. You might be a month ahead and are chancing it with a midwife is what you were saying. You want an ultrasound to see how far along  you are? Isn't getting all your ducks in a row more important than the sex of the baby? Finding out is your choice and you need to decide if you want it, not us.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Even if we do find out, there is NO WAY I'm telling anyone else (except maybe you guys...)Wink One word about it either way and my mom would be off to the baby shop!

I guess I never thought of it that way, but they probably can avoid looking for the sex, unless it's super obvious.

I know my man would never go for that. I'd have to schedule it in the middle of his work day. He can't handle surprises.

• Options
    imageHEmery:

I'm so confused. You might be a month ahead and are chancing it with a midwife is what you were saying. You want an ultrasound to see how far along  you are? Isn't getting all your ducks in a row more important than the sex of the baby? Finding out is your choice and you need to decide if you want it, not us.

This, forget the sex of the baby if you may be as much as a month off on your due date you need to know this.  Who cares if some random stranger knows whether it's a boy or girl.  They may not even see it on the screen esp if you don't want to know yourself.  The measurements they take show growth progress and can give you a heads up in case there is something you need to be prepared for when the baby is born like heart defects. 

• Options

I would guess/hope that your midwife can tell a month's difference just by the size of your uterus? My midwife measures my uterus at each appointment and at this point I'm measuring right on track for my due date. If I were significantly off, she said she'd order an ultrasound. 

If I needed/chose an ultrasound, I definitely would not find out! But that's me and my stubborn determination not to know. :) I really don't care if a doctor/midwife/ultrasound tech knows, but I would probably scream if they told me, haha.  

It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageHEmery:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I plan to discuss the likelihood of my being a month off with her, based on the size of my uterus, the amount of weight I've gained, the frequency of the kicks I am feeling, etc. I will get an u/s if she has any concerns or finds anything out of the ordinary. Really, the only person who thinks I am off is my guy. There is no real evidence to the contrary, but if midwife says, "better safe than sorry", I will being getting that ultrasound right away...

• Options
    I know we're probably the exception to the rule, but the second the tech put the wand to my belly, I saw a penis (we wanted to know, so of course this was great for us).  If you do decide to have an ultrasound, and are going to stick with Team Green, I'd recommend not looking at the screen until they tell you it's safe to do so!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"