Parenting after a Loss
Options

LOs and pets....Q from PgAL

I have a small dog (12 lb japanese chin) who pretty much thinks I am his mommy, in order words he is really attached to me.  I love my pup to death and want to make sure that he is getting enough attention when LO is here.  It seems like I will be very busy for a while with LO so maybe DH will have to help out more. 

I am also worried that my dog might get jealous of LO and won't get along.  What is your experience in this?  Is there things you tried that worked for your dog to warm up to you LO?

BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LOs and pets....Q from PgAL

• Options

I have a large 78lb greyhound who thinks he's all of 15lbs and a Momma's boy.  The transition was difficult for the first couple weeks.  He's awesome around kids that are mobile, but had never been around newborns.  He didn't know what to do.  When she would cry, he would go crazy and try to 'help' me. 

What we did, is put him in his kennel (which is on the first floor so he could see and hear everything) when she would start crying or when he would start acting up.  This allowed him to calm down, listen and watch what was happening.  Then once everything calmed down (baby and him), we would let him out and let him sniff her telling him "all is okay".  Now, he doesn't act up and will 'go check on her for us'. 

In regards to being my velcro dog, he is still right there and afraid I may escape from a trap door in the house without his knowledge.  I made sure to give him one-on-one time with me and took him for walks each day (with the stroller).  This made him feel like I was still giving him the attention, but at the same time having him get use to this new little person. 

I found that it just took him some time, discipline and a lot of "It's okay's".  It could be tough, but you'll get through it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • Options
    imageWildlandwife:

I have a large 78lb greyhound who thinks he's all of 15lbs and a Momma's boy.  The transition was difficult for the first couple weeks.  He's awesome around kids that are mobile, but had never been around newborns.  He didn't know what to do.  When she would cry, he would go crazy and try to 'help' me. 

What we did, is put him in his kennel (which is on the first floor so he could see and hear everything) when she would start crying or when he would start acting up.  This allowed him to calm down, listen and watch what was happening.  Then once everything calmed down (baby and him), we would let him out and let him sniff her telling him "all is okay".  Now, he doesn't act up and will 'go check on her for us'. 

In regards to being my velcro dog, he is still right there and afraid I may escape from a trap door in the house without his knowledge.  I made sure to give him one-on-one time with me and took him for walks each day (with the stroller).  This made him feel like I was still giving him the attention, but at the same time having him get use to this new little person. 

I found that it just took him some time, discipline and a lot of "It's okay's".  It could be tough, but you'll get through it. 

This is so great to hear!  This must be the first positive comment I heard about this topic.  I have been just getting negative comments from people about this senario.  Everyone pretty much just says......"you are going to forget about your dog" or people look at my dog and say "enjoy it while it lasts."

I guess if you strongly about something, you will make it happen!

BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageD&D4Ever7:
    imageWildlandwife:

This is so great to hear!  This must be the first positive comment I heard about this topic.  I have been just getting negative comments from people about this senario.  Everyone pretty much just says......"you are going to forget about your dog" or people look at my dog and say "enjoy it while it lasts."

I guess if you strongly about something, you will make it happen!

No way was I going to give up my first kid because I was having a baby.  I was determined to make it work.  It took some time and to be honest, there were some days that I questioned if it was going to work.  But I had to realize he NEVER had been around something like this and it was in his home.  It took some time, but now, he's so gentle with her.  It's hard work, but if you want it to work, you'll find a way.  Just don't expect changes right away.  Keep working at it and you'll get there. 

BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • Options
    Daisy is very attached to me :) She has been wonderful with Kellen. She mopes a little bit when she wants to sit on my lap and I have LO, but DH has been trying to give her a lot of attention. I really think she likes her. When she's on the changer in the PNP that we have on the back side of the couch, Daisy will get on the back of the couch and lean into the changer and gives her little licks on the head when K is screaming (she doesn't like getting changed). The biggest problem we have had so far is today Daisy found K's WubbaNub and was chewing on one of the legs :)

• Options

imageluvmyducks:
    Daisy is very attached to me :) She has been wonderful with Kellen. She mopes a little bit when she wants to sit on my lap and I have LO, but DH has been trying to give her a lot of attention. I really think she likes her. When she's on the changer in the PNP that we have on the back side of the couch, Daisy will get on the back of the couch and lean into the changer and gives her little licks on the head when K is screaming (she doesn't like getting changed). The biggest problem we have had so far is today Daisy found K's WubbaNub and was chewing on one of the legs :)

This is just so cute!

• Options
    I have a cat, but when I was in the hospital, they asked if we had any pets at home.  They gave us one of the hospital blankets that DS had been wrapped up in to take home so the cat could have something with DS' scent on it.  When DH went home to shower, he took the blanket home.  Probably didn't do much for a cat, but I would definitely recommend doing this with a dog.   I've also read that it's a good idea to pet your pet while you're nursing or cuddling with LO.  This way the pet doesn't feel like it's playing second fiddle to the baby.  And of course, once DS is sleeping, we try to focus more on the cat.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My dog (a 50lb Weimaraner named Juice!) was weirded out by LO at first. But now she LOVES him. She will lick his feet even though he kicks her in the face and looks very concerned when he is crying. It's so cute!

Here is a picture taken within the first week of LO's life. Juice looks so concerned! What is that thing?!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As you can tell from my siggy. Foots life didnt change to much.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Options
    I have a cat who thinks she is a dog. At first she was scared, then curious, then jealous, then accepting, then scared again when LO got mobile, and now accepting again. We make an effort to give her cuddle or play time during naps and after bedtime, and it helps that her plus human baby equals two babies for two parents. She likes to snuggle right up with LO on the boppy while he's eating and has been surprisingly patient with his clumsy pets, fur grabbing, and chasing. I never ever leave them alone together since I have had to intervene a few times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSchnooks88:

My dog (a 50lb Weimaraner named Juice!) was weirded out by LO at first. But now she LOVES him. She will lick his feet even though he kicks her in the face and looks very concerned when he is crying. It's so cute!

Here is a picture taken within the first week of LO's life. Juice looks so concerned! What is that thing?!

Awww, I totally love the pic!  so cute

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"