May 2011 Moms

Sitter problems--vent

I had to let my sitter go today.  She only started with me on 9/14 so really only13 days.  Out of those 13 days she was late between 5 and 15 minutes more than half of the days.  I talked to her about that and she was on time for the other days.  But then on Tuesdsay after she left an DS was sleeping I sat down with my laptop and the history was cleared.  The next day I left a website open so she wouldn't be able to clear the entire history.  So when she left I propped little man on my lap and looked.  She was on some ebay site and then she was on youtube. Really I am paying you $12 an hour to watch my son...where is he when you are on the computer.    When I interviewed her I told her that I had a dog sitter that went on my personal computer and I let her go.  I said you may not use the computer while you are watching my son and I am going to be very strict about that.  I probably should have put a password on the computer but didn't think of it until after she used it.  So I hired my sister-in-law even though I think it is hard to work with family at least I know she loves him.  Hope it works out as I don't think firing my sister-in-law will go so well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sitter problems--vent

• I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure it'll work out with your SIL. Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you not use the computer when you're with your son (or when he naps)?  I'd go crazy if I tried to focus all of my attention on DD when with her for several hours.  The only part of that that would bother me would be that she got on the computer after you told her in the interview that it wouldn't be allowed, but I wouldn't have forbidden it in the first place.  Being stuck inside entertaining a 4 month old all day can be boring! 
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekacelle:
    Do you not use the computer when you're with your son (or when he naps)?  I'd go crazy if I tried to focus all of my attention on DD when with her for several hours.  The only part of that that would bother me would be that she got on the computer after you told her in the interview that it wouldn't be allowed, but I wouldn't have forbidden it in the first place.  Being stuck inside entertaining a 4 month old all day can be boring! 

Yep, this.  I nannied for a girl from when she was 2-5 months old.  I was allowed to use their laptop, but only when baby was napping.  It's boring sitting and playing with such a young baby for hours at a time, day after day.  What did you expect her to do?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagekacelle:
    Do you not use the computer when you're with your son (or when he naps)?  I'd go crazy if I tried to focus all of my attention on DD when with her for several hours.  The only part of that that would bother me would be that she got on the computer after you told her in the interview that it wouldn't be allowed, but I wouldn't have forbidden it in the first place.  Being stuck inside entertaining a 4 month old all day can be boring! 

Yes

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm glad you stuck to your guns OP.  It can get boring trying to entertain a baby all day, but you told her the computer was off limits, and she broke your rule anyway.   Besides, how pissed off would you be if she accidentally downloaded a virus onto your personal computer?

She could have done something else like watched TV or read a book. 

• imagekacelle:

yeap.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageJram85:

I'm glad you stuck to your guns OP.  It can get boring trying to entertain a baby all day, but you told her the computer was off limits, and she broke your rule anyway.   Besides, how pissed off would you be if she accidentally downloaded a virus onto your personal computer?

She could have done something else like watched TV or read a book. 

This! Yes

I know we all appreciate our time at the computer when our LOs are napping, but since OP specifically told her she was not allowed to use it and she did anyways (most likely repeatedly since the history was cleared before!), then I would fire her too. Babysitting is about trust; if you can't trust her to follow one rule, then you can't trust her with the rest. Maybe OP said "Please don't use the computer. Please don't go through my underwear drawer. Please do not talk on your cell the whole day. Please always use the seat belts/harnesses on all baby toys"... My point is if she broke ONE thing you asked of her, you can't trust that she won't do other things.

I wasn't for it until OP said she specifically told this person not to use the computer, and she did. Good choice, OP, and I hope your SIL works out better.

• So what I am understanding is that many of you would be ok with someone-a stranger on your personal computer with all you personal information on it? She was in my home for only 4 hours a day.  Not all day not full time.  When I was a nanny there were no computers.  You know what I did when the  baby was sleeping.  I straightened up for the family.  I was not paying her $12 an hour to go on my personal computer.  This isn't the library and she didn't bring her own laptop this was my computer, my email, my bank information.  Hmm maybe I am old fashion because I didn't grow up with computers but I would NEVER think to go on someone's computer while I was at their home.  Plus she cleared the history...very fishy if you ask me and knew it was wrong...

And yes I go surf the internet even sometimes while my son is awake but

1 I am not at a job

2 it is my computer!!

We had a dog sitter before the baby was born and she was on my computer and that is why during the interview I ask that they don't use the computer. Not to mention as we all know it sucks away the time.  I could just go on to check my email and boom it is 40 minutes later. 

• imageKristysyr:

So what I am understanding is that many of you would be ok with someone-a stranger on your personal computer with all you personal information on it? She was in my home for only 4 hours a day.  Not all day not full time.  When I was a nanny there were no computers.  You know what I did when the  baby was sleeping.  I straightened up for the family.  I was not paying her $12 an hour to go on my personal computer.  This isn't the library and she didn't bring her own laptop this was my computer, my email, my bank information.  Hmm maybe I am old fashion because I didn't grow up with computers but I would NEVER think to go on someone's computer while I was at their home.  Plus she cleared the history...very fishy if you ask me and knew it was wrong...

1 I am not at a job

2 it is my computer!!

We had a dog sitter before the baby was born and she was on my computer and that is why during the interview I ask that they don't use the computer. Not to mention as we all know it sucks away the time.  I could just go on to check my email and boom it is 40 minutes later. 

I understand that you asked her not to, and that is the issues which you've already resolved, but I think I would be fine with allowing the sitter to use my computer.  If you trust them to be in the house and with your child I'd imagine you should trust them to use the computer.  I mean they already have access to any of your valuables (i.e. jewelry, checks, YOUR CHILD!) if they had malicious intent you'd be screwed either way.  I guess I don't leave my bank account logged into or my email, so the most private thing of mine someone could get into is pictures, and I don't have any nudies!

• Ooops sorry read through a few of the reply quickly.  I guess most of you were with me.  I felt terrible about it all night but when I spoke to my husband's business partner he made me feel better about it.  He said that she said she didn't remember that I asked her not to use the computer during the interview or the first day she came for that matter but then why did she hide it and clear the history.  He agreed that I did the right thing.  I am glad my sister in law has agreed to do watch the little guy.  There are really very few people in the world who truly love your child and their aunt really is one.  I just wish she would be able to watch him next year when I go back to work full time but I fear that will be too much for her.

Thanks again and I know everyone has their own opinion.  That is the best thing about this board is that we can hear what we don't want to hear too that could open our eyes but in this case I really feel like I did the right thing. 

Thanks!!!

• I think you did the right thing since it was specified in the interview - I realize now I didn't say that in my response.  I also think it was fishy that she deleted the history.  I'm glad your SIL will be watching baby - hopefully that will be better for everyone!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I would have been fired from every babysitting job I ever had if I had rules like this. When I babysat I always watched tv or used the computer when the baby was sleeping.  I wouldn't sit on it for hours a day, but I really didn't think twice about occasionally checking my e-mail.

Do you have the same rules in effect for your SIL?

Did you tell her you wanted her to straighten up your house? I always tidied up whatever we messed up that day, washed lunch plates, etc, but I was not a maid and I wasn't cleaning bathrooms, doing laundry, or scrubbing the kitchen floor.

• imageAngel0423:
    imageKristysyr:

So what I am understanding is that many of you would be ok with someone-a stranger on your personal computer with all you personal information on it? She was in my home for only 4 hours a day.  Not all day not full time.  When I was a nanny there were no computers.  You know what I did when the  baby was sleeping.  I straightened up for the family.  I was not paying her $12 an hour to go on my personal computer.  This isn't the library and she didn't bring her own laptop this was my computer, my email, my bank information.  Hmm maybe I am old fashion because I didn't grow up with computers but I would NEVER think to go on someone's computer while I was at their home.  Plus she cleared the history...very fishy if you ask me and knew it was wrong...

1 I am not at a job

2 it is my computer!!

I understand that you asked her not to, and that is the issues which you've already resolved, but I think I would be fine with allowing the sitter to use my computer.  If you trust them to be in the house and with your child I'd imagine you should trust them to use the computer.  I mean they already have access to any of your valuables (i.e. jewelry, checks, YOUR CHILD!) if they had malicious intent you'd be screwed either way.  I guess I don't leave my bank account logged into or my email, so the most private thing of mine someone could get into is pictures, and I don't have any nudies!

Having read your response, OP, firing her makes more sense.  I wouldn't be comfortable with a sitter who's only hired for 4 hours a day using my computer expressly against my wishes and then deleting the history.  HOWEVER, like PP said, I don't understand why you'd hesitate to let a sitter use your computer (and thereby have access to some of your personal information), but trust her alone with your child!  I wouldn't hire anyone who I didn't trust with what they could find on my personal computer.

Also, I've used the computer for personal reasons at every desk job I've had in the past.  So saying that you use the computer when you're with your LO because you're not at a job might not be the best argument.  ;)

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"