Parenting
Options

Do you tip at Starbucks?

Inside?  Drive through?[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you tip at Starbucks?

• Options
    No.  Nor do I tip at Chipotle, Panera, Wendy's...
    C ~ Spring 2006 Baby! Photobucket
  • Options
    I do, because I used to work there and I know how totally crappy most people are in the morning before their coffee. When I worked there we never expected tips, though.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejessicaclare:
    I do, because I used to work there and I know how totally crappy most people are in the morning before their coffee. When I worked there we never expected tips, though.

do a lot of people tip?  how much would you make in a shift from tips?  I do not tip but I always wonder if I am in the minority! 

• Options
    imageZenya:

imagejessicaclare:

do a lot of people tip?  how much would you make in a shift from tips?  I do not tip but I always wonder if I am in the minority! 

I would say about half do, most would just toss the change in the tip jar. How much per hour really depends on how busy the store was and what kind of area it was in. Mine was fairly busy and in a nicer area, so we made about $2-$3 extra per hour. A couple of the really busy stores in affluent areas made $5 an hour extra.

• Options
    I should add that this was 8 years ago while I was in college. The economy was way better, so I would think tipping has gone down a lot since then.
  • Options
    They have a tip line on the cc receipt at FreeBirds (is that just a TX place?). And they always give me the side eye when I leave it blank. I think tipping at fast food restaurants is silly. I saw a tip jar at my dry cleaners today. She walked three steps, pushed a button, and walked three steps back to hand me our dry cleaning. And she wants a tip?!?! Tipping has gone overboard in most places.
    Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I don't tip there. That does make me sad that people are rude before their coffee? I love my coffee, but I'm thankful to the person for providing me with it :)
  • Options

I rarely go anymore because I'm too cheap.  But when I do, and I used to go 1-2 times a day when I worked downtown, I always tipped if I had cash. I have a real soft spot for college kids and people who have those type of job.  It just looks really tiring.  

• Options
    I usually give a quarter or whatever loose change I can grab.  
  • Options
    If there's a tip jar, I toss in my change (my starbucks fund is always in cash). 
  • Options

imageghm:
    I don't tip there. That does make me sad that people are rude before their coffee? I love my coffee, but I'm thankful to the person for providing me with it :)

Working there made me lose faith in how nice people are, and I live in the midwest where people really are pretty nice compared to other places I've visited. I always try very hard not to take out my day on a cashier having had that experience. Some people are just truly awful. 

• Options
    i voted "ss" b/c I always tip if I pay in cash, but if I pay w/ a cc, I don't.  What I need to do is establish a weekly Starbucks allowance & only take cash with me when I go!
  • Options

No, not unless someone really goes above and beyond. I've worked for the company, as have friends of mine, and they pay reasonably well for the type of work and have good benefits available for anyone working 20 hours a week. Within my district we weren't even allowed to have a tip jar visible, although if people asked for one we could pull it from under the counter and allow them to add to it.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

this blows my mind. I had NO IDEA that anyone DIDN'T tip at a coffee bar.  Pre Starbucks, all the hangout coffee shops had tip jars, and they always seemed to be full!

(actually, though I spent all of my under 21 time in coffee bars, I have never actually hung out in a Starbucks...so...maybe it was the social environment of those cool old places that made it seem more expected to tip..

this post makes me nostalgic...

and also I feel like Im paying WAY too much for coffee with the tip if nobody else is tipping!! (I  thought it was customary to do a dollar per drink (like in a bar.)

• Options
    I worked at SB before I had DS. They pool their tips and divide them into an hourly wage and split them at the end of the week. So someone working an opening shift , (which is always super busy) Got the same amount of tip wage as someone working the slow shifts. There was no love lost when I quit that job :-/
  • Options
    I never have. I always pay with a gift card and go through the drive-thru.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Whenever I have lose change, I throw that in there. I visit our local coffee shop regularily. Most of the time I throw in my lose change and once in a while I will throw in a dollar.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"