Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Toddler Hitting and Biting

I'm currently caring for my nephew thats 20 months old. He just started hitting and biting kids in daycare. How do I get him to stop if he never has this behavior at home??

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddler Hitting and Biting

• Options
    I have the saaaame problem :) My 20 month old has started biting recently (within the last few weeks, but has had 4 o 5 incident reports already...) and has never done it at the house... it's something she picked up at Daycare. I try to tell her "We don't bite our friends..." when i pick her up and before i drop her off, but nothing *i* can do at the moment she bites someone... I'm sure it's just a phase most toddlers go through, it'll pass :) (soon hopefully..)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My 16 month old is biting at daycare, not at home.  They are really trying to watch for triggers.  For him, it seems to be when they are giving more attention to another child.  So, if he does bite, they simply pick him up, move him from the situation and tell him no.  They don't give him more attention to encourage the behavior.  This has worked for the past 2 days.  Fingers crossed I don't have an incident report when I pick him up today!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    time out worked for DD and she was only about 13-14 months when we started.  I totally worked like a charm.  It took about 2 months, but you have to be consistent with it.  Every single time he hits or bites, warning and then time out if he keeps it up.   He understands what you say to him.  Oh, also, we used a PNP after the just sitting on the floor wasn't working so well.  That helped speed up the process.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! He had a better day on Friday. Hopefully he keeps it up!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yo gabba gabba has an episode on "dont bite your friends" ... its really funny song but i sing it if he bites! he rarely ever does though,,, at least not yet !

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"