Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Can't stop thinking about it...

I posted not too long ago, about my child watching cartoons. One person posted that any TV before 2 can cause  autism and ADHD. Now I am freaking out. Is this true?image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Can't stop thinking about it...

• Options
    There was a study done that suggests that TOO MUCH tv might trigger autism. I read it a while ago but from what I recall there wasn't any solid proof that it does.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks. I will try and find the study. I freak out too easily. LOLimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

No, it is not true. They have no idea what causes Autism and ADHD and whoever told you that is a moron. There are studies that show that babies preform poorly on attention tests after watching 9 minute clips of TV. Also babies that watch a lot of TV and not much other stimulation are slow to develop for obvious reasons. 

Every study that has found a correlation (which is in no way causation) between TV and anything, has been flawed. TV in moderation is just fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    This is probably gonna sound b1tchy but if you are worried about it then the very simple solution is don't let your baby watch tv.
    Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It was kinda bitchy but I guess you are right. LOL She just loves her Elmo.image

• Options

imagevickycat:
    It was kinda bitchy but I guess you are right. LOL She just loves her Elmo.image

I have a son on the spectrum and I credit tv with helping him learn to talk and he also started memorizing words and titles and could read well before kindergarten.

I am not going to use tv as a babysitter and let Julia watch it all day but I am also not going to say she can't watch it all. She loves her Micky Mouse Clubhouse and Sesame Street. 

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    omg if that were true 90% of kids would be autistic  Indifferent
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No, it is not true. They have no idea what causes Autism and ADHD and whoever told you that is a moron. There are studies that show that babies preform poorly on attention tests after watching 9 minute clips of TV. Also babies that watch a lot of TV and not much other stimulation are slow to develop for obvious reasons. 

Every study that has found a correlation (which is in no way causation) between TV and anything, has been flawed. TV in moderation is just fine.

Thanks...I just exhaled. Hey BTW do you have a nickname for your DD. I love her name.

• Options
    Not sure how true it is either. I've heard something before about ADHD and TV if young kids watch it all day long d/t all the fast images they see.  It was something along the lines of they needed a lot of stimulation to keep themselves entertained because thats all they are used to seeing as opposed to kids who play with blocks, look at books etc who don't need so much stimulation to be entertained. That being said, I have put on sesame street or the wonder pets so I can shower or finish up dinner and set the table.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagevickycat:

Thanks...I just exhaled. Hey BTW do you have a nickname for your DD. I love her name.

Thanks! We call her Louie for short.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageMomlovesEloise:

It is important to distinguish between correlation and causation. And most of the time there are other very plausible explanations. Just because a child grows up with lots of books doesn't mean that's what made them intelligent; their parents are probably intelligent and had lots of books around. Same with the TV thing.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options

Kids really do watch too much TV now.  And I think there is probably a correlation between it and ADHD.  Or at least behavioral concentration problems. How can they concentrate on things that move slowly (like real life) when they are used to TV speed? And how are they going to entertain themselves with anything else when it's easier to just sit in front of the TV and have built-in entertainment? 

Babies really shouldn't be watching TV when they are this young.  If they are watching it now, how much are they going to be watching in a few years?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageLynsiBHM:
    omg if that were true 90% of kids would be autistic  Indifferent

This!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"