Breastfeeding

How to improve posture while BFing?

I only know how to nurse one way for each boob. I use the cross-cradle hold for the left side with LO on my lap, and the football hold for the right side with LO on a pillow. And everytime, I am holding her head with my right hand and squeezing my boob with my left, and I'm hunched over her. And my back is starting to kill me.

I am really jealous of all the moms that can nurse their LOs using the traditional cradle hold, sitting up straight. I tried to do that a few times, but I need a free hand to squeeze my boob, else LO's face ends up in it. What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any helpful tips? TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to improve posture while BFing?

• Put a pillow under your LO to prop her up higher. Also, try the side lie- it's the.most.comfortable.thing I have discovered. One hand to prop your head up, one hand to hold LO from rolling over. I don't hold a boob out of the way, but imagine you could just position DD far enough back so that she's not smushed into boob.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I have my lo lay across a boppy. Or I do the side lying pose if not the cradle hold.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Things work differently with differently sized boobs and different babies. Yours is getting old enough to help, though, so it's a great time to experiment with holds. I love side-lying for a break (I use a body pillow behind my back/hips to help hold me at a good angle). Try sitting baby on your knee facing you. Just try different things!

• Are you sitting on a couch when you nurse? You might want a pillow behind your back for more support. If you do side-lying, you can put a rolled-up blanket behind your daughter's butt/legs to keep her in position. She also might just be a little too little yet to do cradle hold.

With my first son, we did side-lying 99% of the time until he was a few months old, and I would also always put a pillow on my lap when I did cradle hold with him until he was about six months or so.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I was never able to use the cradle hold either, I needed to hold DS' head.  I always put a pillow behind my back and I used the Boppy to put DS up higher.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• just wanna say I'm jealous of you ladies who get to try different positions!  I have twins and tandem feed most of the time so I only get to use the football hold.  I will say that if you can get side lying position to work --- It's amazingly comfortable.  I've only been able to get it right a couple times.
    BFP 11/09...M/C 1/27/10...TTCAL 3/2010...IUI #1 9/2010 = BFN IUI #2 10/29/2010 = TWINS! EDD 7/25/2010 C-SECTION 7/7/11 at 37.5wks due to severe pre-eclampsia. Liliana born 6lb7oz and Anthony born 5lb4oz Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAGFaso:
    I will say that if you can get side lying position to work --- It's amazingly comfortable.  I've only been able to get it right a couple times.

It's all about using some props - I have a pillow under my head, my body pillow propping up my hips, and sometimes something behind LO so can't roll onto his back. 

And kudos for breastfeeding twins!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"