Baby Names
Options

Giving LO a name of different origin than yourself

And I mean of completely different origin. For example DH and I are Irish, English, French and German descent. DH picked our DS name and its German and English origin.

I have two girls names that are our front runners and they're Lola and Leila, I absolutley love them. But clearly not the same origin as ours, not even close. Having second thoughts, and feeling like they're too different than ours.

Would you do it? Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Re: Giving LO a name of different origin than yourself

• Options
    i definitely think you are over thinking....this is the melting pot! Big Smile
  • Options
    Unless your DH is Seamus and your LO is Alejandro then I probably wouldn't think twice.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you would be fine with either name. No one would ever think of it as being a different origin. I was thinking you were going with somethinig radically different (Example: DH is Bob Jones your Jane Jones, DC is Undubadabway Jones).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• Options
    You are most DEFINITELY way overthinking this. If you were considering a day that was Chinese or Japanese that might be too weird, but no one really gives a crap about the origin of a name. I don't even know what the origin of LO's name is. German maybe?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagekerribear1717:
    Unless your DH is Seamus and your LO is Alejandro then I probably wouldn't think twice.

LOL!

I wouldn't worry about Barron & Leila/Lola.  I think they sound great together.

imageimageimageimageimage
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I nixed most of SO's suggestions based on origin of the name - but he wanted something that definitely didn't fit. His number one name choice for LO was Karasu or Ichigo, which are both major characters in a very popular anime Hmm, and also do not match with our ancestry.

I wouldn't worry about your names though. They sound wonderful and unless someone was an expert or looked it up, it would never occur to them that it was from a different origin.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think you're overthinking this. The only thing that might seem odd is if you (as a European caucasian) chose an ethnically Asian, Middle Eastern or African name.  But then again, it's your child.  Give him/her a name you love regardless of where the name is from.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think Barron and Leila sound adorable together!
  • Options
    In this case, yes, you are over thinking. They're from the same continent as your origins, so I think it's okay :). If you were to to with an Asian influenced name (or something equally different from you) then we might have an issue Stick out tongue
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    Thanks all! DH doesn't think its an issue either.
  • Options
    I think names like you've listed are pretty neutral and no one's going to say, "what's your origin? What origin is the name you chose?" However, one of my favorite guilty pleasure names is Priyanka, which is Indian... which I'm clearly not. I think that would be weird.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

imagekerribear1717:

Haha! Yeah, I agree with this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In general, I would say don't do it. But in this case, I think you're over -thinking,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"