Breastfeeding
Options

DD is nursing again. And I am engorged again :(

I woke up this morning miserably uncomfortable.  DD normally gets a bottle for her middle of the night feeding, and I pump.  But last night I nursed her b/c she's done so well this week.  I still felt pretty full after she finished, but didn't think it was a good idea to pump.  When I woke up a few hours later, I was about to explode.  I fed her, and pumped afterwards.  I just had to.  Besides, I do like pumping at least once during the day to have a little milk on hand.  I got 9 oz from my pumping session, after she had just eaten.

I've felt fine ever since, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen again tonight.  Should I just keep doing what I did today and pump after her morning nursing session?  Or should I pump a little in the middle of the night too?  How many days will it take for my body to regulate? 

I'll be going back to work in a month, so I will be pumping during the day and do want to keep adding to my freezer stash until then.  So I definitely want to keep that morning pump.  I just don't want to be so uncomfortable.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: DD is nursing again. And I am engorged again :(

• Options

I wouldn't pump in the middle of the night unless you absolutely have to. I have an oversupply, so I know how much engorgement sucks, but you'll just be encouraging your body to make more. And you don't want to be stuck pumping in the middle of the night. If you are going to pump once a day anyway, you could just continue with that morning session... In terms of how long it will take your body to regulate, who knows. I've been battling this oversupply for two weeks and I'm still waiting! 

I usually hand express just a little off whenever I get super uncomfortable in the middle of the night. I feel like the pump is much more stimulating. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"