Northern California Babies

Natural Induction Methods/Ideas?

Lay 'em on me. I'm willing to try anything (safe) before my scheduled medical induction on the 10th. (Kiddo is measuring only slightly smaller than my 10lb. 5oz. daughter.)

If you tried pumping to induce, how exactly did you do it? How long at a time? Did you save what you collected (if any)? I can already hand express colostrum, so I assume I'd end up with a little.

Acupuncturist rec in the San Jose area? 

- Rene

Re: Natural Induction Methods/Ideas?

• Can you ask your doc or mw about black & blue cohosh?  A Kaiser MW recommended that to the girl I took Bradley classes with and she went into labor the night she tried it (she was 12 days past EDD though).  Anyway, I read up on it b/c she had passed it along to me and everything I read was really like "do not try without doctor/mw approval!" and "do not try before 40 weeks!" so I got the feeling there's some evidence it works.  I never tried it b/c I went into labor on my own at 40w1d, but it might be something you look into and ask your provider about?  Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I hear acupuncture can help, sorry I don't have a recommendation.  I also was told about cotton root (herb) which actually supposedly is to help start contractions (like a natural pitocin).  There supposedly can be risks if you take too much, etc, so I would obviously talk to your midwife/OB about it and again, sorry I don't have too much info about it, because I never ended up needing to go down that route.
  • Loading the player...
  • Will your ob strip your membranes. I think that is what worked for me, ut I think with anything, your body probably has to be ready or close to getting started on IRS own. Lots of walking...it was the membrane stripping and a long walk right before my water broke, but who knows whether that would have happened anyways.

next to harmony is an acupuncturist her name Cindy ignatovosky - I'm sure I'm spelling her name wrong. Tri-bride also had a rec, let me see if I can find it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • evening ptimrose oil....its just progestglans. also the accupuncturist I saw is smokin hot if that helps you at all.

https://www.morganhillwellness.com/about/danielmelton/

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • lots of squats and lunges, or walking stairs!
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Lots of walking, with stairs if you can swing it. I went to the Campbell track every day the week I was due and walked a couple miles and then went up and down the bleachers for as long as I could hang. I remember hearing somewhere to avoid papaya during pregnancy because it caused contractions, so the day I went into labor I had a papaya and pizza for dinner. Could be total coincidence,but at least it's a tasty experiment :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I'm not really sure anything worked for me but I tried just about everything.  I had my membranes stripped twice and that didn't work for me.  

I did do acupuncture with Cindi I (mentioned above) at Harmony...I did 3 sessions.  I went into labor 2 days after my 3rd session.  So I'm not sure if that helped or if I just eventually went into labor on my own (9 days late).

Lots of luck to you!  I hope you can go into labor on your own!    

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Induction is complicated.  If everything is ideal - passed one's due date (and pretty sure of the due date as measured from ovulation, not past menstrual cycle), mentally and emotional readiness on mom's part, baby in a good position -- there are a number of things that work well enough.  Once passed a due date acupuncture will generally work within 48-72 hours, unless the mom has a history of labors carrying to 42  weeks.  Some bodies just like to gestate longer.  Pumping, when done properly, works quite well.  If acupuncture didn't work and pumping didn't work, I move on castor oil in a very small amount (1/2 tbl, repeat once after 4 hours if nothing is happening). I usually suggest aromatherapy, sex, and lots of walking/stair climbing, in combo with all of that.

I generally recommend not doing herbs unless under the care of an herbalist or someone trained in their use.  Black and blue cohosh are both very potent stuff with solid hormonal effects.  They shouldn't be treated like garden variety herbs. 

• imagelegaleagles:
    Will your ob strip your membranes. I think that is what worked for me, ut I think with anything, your body probably has to be ready or close to getting started on IRS own. Lots of walking...it was the membrane stripping and a long walk right before my water broke, but who knows whether that would have happened anyways.

next to harmony is an acupuncturist her name Cindy ignatovosky - I'm sure I'm spelling her name wrong. Tri-bride also had a rec, let me see if I can find it.

My acupuncturist was Kim Silsby at White Peony in Los Altos: https://www.whitepeony.com/

I also saw Cindi (she is Kim's back-up) a couple times, though not for labor induction. https://www.healthinharmonytcm.com/

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone!! I am going to see Cindi (next door to Harmony) tomorrow morning for my first acupuncture visit (for a "gentle induction" to start). I'll talk to my OB about some other options at my appointment on Wednesday, and am doing all the gentle walk/squat/EPO/tea/etc stuff. :)

I appreciate everyone's input! 

- Rene
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"