Working Moms
Options

Just Awkward

It was announced about 6 weeks ago that they are closing the manufacturing facility that I am located at by the end of the year.  About 90 people are being let go but they are keeping about 40 of us in sales & aftermarket support. 

My direct supervisor was in the inital safe group.  Well for some reason they decided about 3 weeks ago that he needed to go as well.  They gave him a 60 day notice so he is here until November 8.  He had been ok until yesterday when the announcement came out that me and my co-worker will report to our former supervisor before he was hired.  Co-worker & I are thrilled because we did not really like the supervisor who was let go and we really enjoyed working for the former supervisor. 

Other co-workers who are going to be let go have behaved decently overall.  There have been a few awkward moments and of course the ones of us who are still going to have jobs have tried really hard to be sensitive and compassionate to others. 

Well next week is the first major wave of people to leave - about 40.  They are having a farewell luncheon here at the plant and the senior engineer is throwing a big party at his house that night.  Everyone is invited to both things but I am torn on whether I should attend.  I've been here 6 years - some people have been here a little less and there are many that are 25 year+ workers who are heading out the door.  Would you attend these events? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just Awkward

• Options
    I would attend the lunch.  But the party after hours?  I find that REALLY odd. I don't know that I'd go to that.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Not sure if I'd attend both events (I'd probably pick the one where more non-leavers were going to be at, maybe just the plant based one) but if you feel comfortable to do both, do both.  IMO, it's a great to keep connections with everyone for networking purposes because you never know when or if you'll need them down the line.  Since they've known they are leaving for awhile the shock and anger probably has subsided and it's not like they blame you for what happened..everyone knows that layoffs come from the heavens pretty much, from places many times disconnected with the actual people involved in managing and working with those affected (at least in my company/field).

Two kids..5 and 2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"