Success after IF
Options

Coming over from PAIF with a question!

Hi there!  We are going to be registering in a few weeks (can't believe it) after our gender u/s on Oct. 11th.  I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what items on your registry do you absolutely recommend having and which items would you have left off the registry?   We've looked at some things and the choices are overwhelming. 

Also, does anyone have experience with temporal artery thermometers?  We were thinking about registering for one but I know they're more expensive.  I think I'd one to have for its ease of use and convenience, but I'm not sure about their accuracy.  I think I'd have a rectal thermometer as a back-up. 

Thanks for imparting any wisdom!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Coming over from PAIF with a question!

• Options
    I love our temperal artery thermometer. Works great and is easy to use. As for items, i try to go with an assortment of large and small items. A boppy for me was a must. A nice stroller is great to have. We had our crib bedding on there and it was bought so that was one less expense. I would leave off clothes as you get a ton of those.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think I still have my "registry spreadsheet" that I passed around to my friends, if you'd like it -- just post or PM your e-mail.  :)

I really love our temporal thermometer.  I do have a rectal one as well.  So, if the temporal one shows a temp, then I use the rectal one to get a more accurate reading.  But if one of the girls just feels "warm" to me, then it is so much easier to give her forehead a quick swipe just to see.

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! So happy for you!!! Love my thermometer - dillon is super squirmy so taking a temp any other way is near impossible. For the first 6 months, the pedi would only take rectal temps into account if calling about a fever, but it is good to have for later.
    registry must haves for me - Swing, D lived in it for 6 months! Different types of bottles. Onsies for a winter baby is a must, you can layer for warmth, but you will change often so will need quite a few. Recieving blankets - never have too many. get things for later - potty seat, high chair etc. These few months go quickly, so there is no harm in storing them until you need them.
    - could live without: miracle blanket - I registered for 4 and D never used them, we swaddled using regular receiving blankets. If you want to try it, register for one and see where it goes. Clothes - you will get a ton, no need to ask for more!
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

Congratulations!!

Oh, so much fun to be registering.  My advice is register for anything you think you may need those first 6 months.  Even if it is expensive, people may go in on it, and of course, you can get the discount on anything people don't get.  Every baby and mommy is so different that you just don't really know what you'll need until they get here and you get in the swing of things.

My must have items for the first several weeks are a boppie (I assume this is helpful even if you don't bf), tons of burp cloths (and in the beginning I actually really preferred to just use wash cloths as they were thinner) and bibs (I was amazed and annoyed by how many bibs and burp cloths I got and then I had a baby with reflux and was soooo happy to have them), kimono style onesies (after the first few weeks you get the hang of putting stuff over their head but at first you want stuff you can zip up, etc), and some good bottles and nipples for newborns just in case you do need to supplement with formula.  (we had a rough supply issue at first and DH had to run out in the middle of the night looking for the nuk nipples to use when we realized we had to supplement on like day 5), baby monitor-- video, swing (they will love that thing first few days, I loved our little lamb one).

I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of stuff but others will  chime in.

I really like my temporal thermometer.  In fact, it's the only thing we've ever used.  Of course, my kid has had like 1 fever in 2+ years so it works well for just "being sure" if I had a sick kid I might want something more precise.  But you should add it on. 

• Options
    As for thermometers - I really love our Safety 1st kit, which has a digital base and 3 interchangeable tips, one for oral, rectal, and underarm.  It reads a temp in 5 seconds!  Highly recommend.
    TTC #1 since 6/07, Dx = Ovulatory dysfunction, DOR, and autoimmune issues ~ 4 Clomid cycles, 1 Femara Cycle, 6 Injectible IUI cycles~ 4 Chemical PG's ~ IVF #1 Dec '09 = BFP!! Beta 8dp3dt = 68 10dp3dt = 276 16dp3dt = 1511 ~ First U/S 1/14 = 3 Heartbeats!!! Lost Baby C at 8w5d Emergency Cerclage at 22wks saved our babies lives Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm probably in the minority, but Claire loved having her wipes warm.  So a wipe warmer was the first thing we went out and bought after she was born.  We unplugged it in the summer. 
  • Options

THings we couldn't live without..

Swing..Jake spent more time in that swing then I would like to admit.  He loved it..We had/have the my little lamb swing..

Also on the same side the bouncy chair..he also loved that..he spent many nights as an infant sleeping in it..something about the vibrations..

Our video monitor has been a life savor..We have the summer infant monitor..Its great but the battery does die easily I just have to replace it..

My rented breast pump. I didn't know if I was going to bf or not and didn't want to plunk down a whole bunch of money for a pump..so I rented one from my local medical supply company and my insutrance paid for it!!. It/was also hospital grade so it had great suction..I plan on doing the same thing with baby 2..

• Options

Congratulations! :)

Our thermometer is great, I definitely recommend getting one. 

My biggest recomendation is to not register for blankets! Holy crap people love to buy baby blankets.  I got a million of them. 

It took 5 failed IUIs and a failed IVF, but our FET worked!
    My pregnancy after Infertility Blog
    Our baby girl was born on April 27, 2011!
  • Options

imagebrideinOC:
    I'm probably in the minority, but Claire loved having her wipes warm.  So a wipe warmer was the first thing we went out and bought after she was born.  We unplugged it in the summer. 

We loved ours, too!  Certainly not a necessity, but a cold wipe on a tushie at 2:30 in the morning is a sure way to wake them up!

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Options
    I will also third the wipe warmer. I love mine. When I am out and about I hate using tr cold wipes. And what pp said about blankets and clothes is oh so true! Also I do love bibs, I like the soft waterproof ones. Also you will need a monitor, I have the Sony baby call and it works very well. Sometimes I do wish I had a video monitor though. Also he likes the swing and the bouncers. I also LOVE my Rock n Play, I take it to my MILs when she watches DS for a couple of hours. I didn't think I'd want it but I was wrong! You might want a playmat too. A boppy is also essential, but get a waterproof cover if u BF milk goes everywhere! As far as bottles go, it took me 5 brands to find the ones he likes. Also pacis he doesn't like the soothies, he likes the MAM ones. Then u will also need some bathing products. I like aveeno and have a first years infant tub.
    Also I had a pump from the hospital for free for a month and then I purchased my own. You can also look at Lucie's List and Baby Bargains book for things u need for your registry.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options

A nursing pillow, pump, and humidifier were all big ones for me.

I wish I hadn't gotten the AngelCare monitor and had registered for a video monitor instead.  With a 4th degree tear, I also wished I had a co-sleeper.

PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I just wrote up a whole registry tip list for my BFF. I can send you a copy if you want. Just email me at dragonflies1226 at yahoo dot com.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options

Thank you so much ladies!  So helpful!  Can't wait to register!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"