Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Can we talk Convertable Car seats??

Hey ladies,

I'm getting ready to make the purchase of a convertable car seat. My 8 month old is almost out of his infant seat. I knew I should have bought a convertable to begin with but I had an infant seat from my previous child I could use.

I know "they" are now recommending a child face to the rear as long as possible, and frankly I don't htink my little man has enough trunk strength yet to face forward even at a year. My question is which is the best way to go? Which seat will last me the longest. Price is not a huge factor as long as it's going to hold up and last untill it's time for a backless booster? Help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can we talk Convertable Car seats??

• Options

The new guidelines say to rear face until two.

Some good seats are Britax Marathon, Graco MyRide65 and Sunshine Kids Radian.  They will last you the longest because they have high height/weight limits. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

I have done tons of research and found that the Britax Boulevard 70 is the safest on the market.

Good sale right now - check this out - https://www.diapers.com/Product/Brand/britax.aspx

BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I will abide by safety guidelines and keep DS rear-facing for as long as possible; I don't know if he'll last until 2(where do their legs go), but I don't foresee needing to face him forward anytime too soon.  We have  Britax Boulevards for our 2 cars and love them, my parents have the Britax Marathon and that's sufficient too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLittleApple:

Some good seats are Britax Marathon, Graco MyRide65 and Sunshine Kids Radian.  They will last you the longest because they have high height/weight limits. 

I agree, these are all good options for extended rear facing.  We have a Britax Boulevard 70 and I really like it.  Super easy to install and DS is very comfortable in it.

ETA: Just wanted to add that these seats won't necessarily last until your LO is ready for a backless booster.  I'm fully prepared to still need a booster with 5 pt harness after this carseat is outgrown.

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    imagekatcarls:
    imageLittleApple:

I agree, these are all good options for extended rear facing.  We have a Britax Boulevard 70 and I really like it.  Super easy to install and DS is very comfortable in it.

ETA: Just wanted to add that these seats won't necessarily last until your LO is ready for a backless booster.  I'm fully prepared to still need a booster with 5 pt harness after this carseat is outgrown.

This is very true. My 3 year old is tall and at the last harness height in her Radian (same height as the Marathon). She is nowhere near 40lbs and too light for a booster of any kind. She also doesn't meet the criteria for being able to sit correctly in a booster (falls asleep, doesn't keep the seatbelt in a correct position, sit upright all the time, etc). We moved her to a Britax Frontier to keep her harnessed longer. I no longer worry about trying to buy as few seats as possible. If they need something to fit them better, then we get a new seat.

The Marathon is a good choice, it will last you longer than most seats on the market.

• Options
    We have the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL and love it.  It is the slimmest seat so it will fit in any car even if you had 2 car seats in the back.  It is all steel frame, folds for travel, and is very highly rated.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Options

The marathon/boulevard will last maybe until age 3-4 depending on the height of your child.  

I plan on getting a Britax Frontier for my oldest once my youngest outgrows her infant car seat.  The Frotnier has a five pt. harness, then turns into a booster and a backless booster if you wish to use that. 

Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

I would go with either a Britax Marathon 70 or Boulevard 70.

We just upgraded from an original Roundabout (very low height limit seat).  My 2.5 year old is very tall for his age at 40 inches so he outgrew it already.  If he wasn't so off the charts in height I'd have gone with one of the seats mentioned above, but because of that I chose the Britax Frontier SICT which is a forward facing only harness to booster it has a 57" height limit on being harnessed. 

Most kids outgrow a seat in height before weight, even if they are not off the charts in height.  So it is best to look at both height and weight limits.  It bothers me when people get stuck on the super high weight limit seats and never bother to look at height limits.

Booze, it's what's for dinner imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • Options
    We have the Britax Advocate and the Orbit Baby Toddler Seat. Both are great.
  • Options
    I have been researching them too. I really like the Britax Marathon 70 in Waverly. Whatever you decide look for it on amazon, they have really good prices.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options
    imageLittleApple:

The marathon/boulevard will last maybe until age 3-4 depending on the height of your child.  

I plan on getting a Britax Frontier for my oldest once my youngest outgrows her infant car seat.  The Frotnier has a five pt. harness, then turns into a booster and a backless booster if you wish to use that. 

Are you sure? I swear I read that the Frontier is only a highback booster.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageSuperCuteBenz:
    imageLittleApple:

Are you sure? I swear I read that the Frontier is only a highback booster.

I have one too, it can be a highback or a backless

Booze, it's what's for dinner imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"