Blended Families
Options

Mini insurance vent

When SS was born neither BM or DH had insurance through work (both were in school and only working pt) So BMs dad put SS on him private insurance and DH reimbursed him for the cost. This went on all the way until we got married, then I was able to put both DH and SS on my insurance (DH was still in school/still working pt) Having SS on there made us need the family plan, which of course cost more than having just the two of us. Just the facts. This has been the case all the way up until DD was born. Now we would need the family plan regardless, so technically insuring SS does not cost of anything extra.

Before BM got married she did not have insurance (or so she said) and her other son only had insurance through the state. Now that she is married they are on her DHs insurance, which put them in the same situation as us...it wouldn't cost anything extra to include SS, so they did.

Now, I'm not sure which makes us the primary insurance...we had the coverage first, and DH is also required to provide insurance per the CO. Either way, we are. So a trip to the doctor works like this: Our insruance gets billed, they pay all but a $25 copay. Their insurance gets billed for $25, they pay they rest. Because our insrurance does not pay that $25, it is applied to our out of pocket maximum for the year. I guess in a way it is helping us for them to have insurance on SS. But honestly it would never matter unless we got close to our out of pocket max.

Apparently BM has figured this out and she is throwing a little hissy fit about how it needs to be switched and has been texting me for certain information (I think when the coverage started, my birthday...I don't remember now) Seriously lady? You've never paid .01 for your child's insurance, and if there were to be any out of pocket expnses (that her insurance didn't pay for) we would have to pay over 2/3 of it. And you're looking for a way to make this benefit you. Why am I surprised??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mini insurance vent

• Options
    imagewendilea:

She's probably asking for your birthday because of the "birthday rule" - whichever parent's birthday is earlier in the year is primary.  I'm not 100% sure if that applies in BF situations. 

Who has primary custody?  I think the CO ordering DH to carry insurance may play a part.  Honestly, your insurance company will ask the same questions at some point, to verify coordination of benefits.

She has primary care. I had forgotten about the birthday thing. Her birthday is before mine, but DHs is before hers.

ETA: Ironically we've asked her for the insurance info to give to our insurance. She says it's "none of our business"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The CO trumps the birthday rule when there is one.

Chances are your insurance company has recieved payment verifiaciton requests from her insurance company so they have her insurance information documented. Call your insurance company and fax them a copy of the court order. Your insurance company will use it as proof of primary if the other insurance trys to change it to primary. At least that is what happened here but for a different situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"