Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Couch stains

So I just bought a new couch set, dark brown microfiber (i think thats what its called) for obvious reasons. So the sales lady told me if i had it scotch guarded liquids would bead up and i could dab off...well first spit up on it today, and no..didnt bead up. So i wiped it down with water and it looks ok but you can tell its not the same.

So my question is how are you cleaning your couch stains?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Couch stains

• Options
    Honestly, DS is very spitty, so we gave up on getting the couch really clean a while ago (it's old anyway). We just wipe it up as best we can with a little bit of soap and warm water. Also, every time we vacuum, we make sure to sprinkle baking soda beforehand (takes care of any smells). We're going to wait a few more months and get a professional cleaning... or maybe a new couch.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We got a Bissell Little Green machine for Christmas last year. It's wonderful for spot cleaning small areas. You can find it at wal-mart. I recommend it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds like we had the same salesperson.  I have the same couch-dark brown, microfiber, scotchguard and it does NOT clean. You need to check the fabric tag.  Water does not clean all suedes and may actually cause more damage-this is my couch. I haven't had any luck finding a reliable cleaner.  We had so many stains in the past 2 yrs since DD1 was born and have had it professionally cleaned so many times we could have bought a new couch.  Even the professionals cannot get all the stains out. DD2 has reflux and spits up everywhere.  We lay beach towels on the couch to salvage any part remaining.  It's tacky.  I have a friend who has 7 yr old triplets and an old, ugly couch.  She won't get a new one until the kids are older and less messy.  I'm definitely going the leather route next.
  • Options
    Baby wipes and a hair dryer...just dampen the area with the baby wipe and then scrub vigorously with a clean cloth while blowing dry...worked miracles on my cream microfiber couch!
  • Options

imagekcarbonell:
    It sounds like we had the same salesperson.  I have the same couch-dark brown, microfiber, scotchguard and it does NOT clean. You need to check the fabric tag.  Water does not clean all suedes and may actually cause more damage-this is my couch. I haven't had any luck finding a reliable cleaner.  We had so many stains in the past 2 yrs since DD1 was born and have had it professionally cleaned so many times we could have bought a new couch.  Even the professionals cannot get all the stains out. DD2 has reflux and spits up everywhere.  We lay beach towels on the couch to salvage any part remaining.  It's tacky.  I have a friend who has 7 yr old triplets and an old, ugly couch.  She won't get a new one until the kids are older and less messy.  I'm definitely going the leather route next.

SInce i wiped it down with water it seems as if i ruffed up the material and is not as soft and flat as before, I will look for the fabric tag though. I wanted to get leather but thought of the cold in the winter sticky in the summer thing and didnt go for it so this couch is a half leather, half microfiber but the leather is only on the bottom half and sides. So the cushions and back are the microfiber. Which now i relieze suckss!!!

• Options
    So i found the only tag on the couch and it only says what the material consists of, no cleaning instructions!! er i guess ill be calling the company to ask.
  • Options

There's a difference between microfiber and microsuede.  We have a microsuede futon (from our college days), which is full of stains and rough patches from trying to clean it.  We have a microfiber couch set that we didn't scotch-guard, but spills just wipe right off.  I've gotten spaghetti sauce on it, and water and a soft cloth took it right off.  Water beads on it, and you can literally pour liquid off the cushions.

Though our couches clean easily, I still have a sheet down on the seat cushions for when we're on there with Lila.  Kind of ugly, but I pull it off before we have company.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imagetlxh7:

There's a difference between microfiber and microsuede.  We have a microsuede futon (from our college days), which is full of stains and rough patches from trying to clean it.  We have a microfiber couch set that we didn't scotch-guard, but spills just wipe right off.  I've gotten spaghetti sauce on it, and water and a soft cloth took it right off.  Water beads on it, and you can literally pour liquid off the cushions.

Though our couches clean easily, I still have a sheet down on the seat cushions for when we're on there with Lila.  Kind of ugly, but I pull it off before we have company.

So i read your post and ran to see if it was suede or microfiber and it is microfiber, but i did get it scotch guarded and mine doesnt bead up !!! :(

Heres a link https://www.leons.ca/living-room-furniture/upholstery/sofas/retriever-ii-sofa/1429591.aspx

• Options
    We bought a darker brown (but not chocolate brown) microfiber couch around this time last year.  The water stains drive me nuts.  Our dogs are always drooling or (for some unknown reason) straight up licking the couch.  Baby wipes do work sometimes.  I also found that when using my carpet shampooer with vinegar instead of commercial cleaner it didn't leave water marks, and got any stains out.  I was going to try diluted vinegar in a spray bottle for spot cleaning but haven't done it yet.  And it only smells like vinegar until it dries, then it's odorless.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"