August 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone else reconsidering return-to-work plans?

Please tell me I'm not the only one ... what were your plans before baby arrived, and what are you doing/considering now? Oh, and what is your motivation for making the change? (NOTE: Not intended to offend anyone who is excited about returning to work ... I always thought I'd be, but I'm not.)

I was planning to return full-time, but am now thinking of either a "creative" flex schedule or not returning at all and working freelance/contract (would be a huge financial hit at first, since I make more than my husband). My motivation is that I enjoy the mothering thing SO much more than I expected, and I really don't want to turn those duties over to anyone else! Even when she is being fussy, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else reconsidering return-to-work plans?

• Options

I have changed my plans a bit. I've decided to go back part-time until the first of the year and then begin doing 9 hours a week from home when I return to full-time. Initially, I was planning to start back full-time right away.

Truthfully I'm one of the moms that wants to go back rather than having to go back. Of course I love my little guy and enjoy spending time with him but I'm not cut out to be a SAHM. I need to work for my sanity as well as the fact that I enjoy the lifestyle that my additional income provides.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When I first had DD two years ago I was really excited to go back to work and I feel that, personally, being a working mom made me a better mom.

This time around, being home is less of an adjustment for me and I'm enjoying my maternity leave more. I guess I'm dreading going back to work a little. But, unlike going back to work M-F full time like I did after DD was born, I'm going back with an unusual schedule. I will work Sunday and Monday evenings so that I can spend Monday and Friday during the day at home with the kids. It's the best of both worlds, I think.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm absolutely dreading returning to work. I cry at least once a day about it and I still have just over 3 weeks left. My plan right now is to return to work 4 days a week just through the end of the year. We can't afford for me not to work at all, even though I really just want to say screw it and not go back at all. But my biggest concern is that I work over an hour away from home and I'm gone 11-12 hours a day and that kills me. I'm going to start looking for a job that will be closer to home. I'm also looking to see if there are any legit work from home jobs, even if its just data entry or something crappy like that. I would take anything right now if it would let me stay home more with my little man. I think I'm going to have a serious breakdown when I do return.. its not going to be pretty. 
  • Options

:sigh:

my only hope for staying home any longer is a win in the lottery..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagelauriebeth830:

my only hope for staying home any longer is a win in the lottery..

same here

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelauriebeth830:

my only hope for staying home any longer is a win in the lottery.

this is me too, Its killing me that I have to go back to work soon, the thought of me paying someone to raise my child just baffles me...im basically working to pay someone to raise my child..just makes no sense to me, but I carry the insurance so thus I have to work

• Options
    imageJennairess:
    imagelauriebeth830:

my only hope for staying home any longer is a win in the lottery.

this is me too, Its killing me that I have to go back to work soon, the thought of me paying someone to raise my child just baffles me...im basically working to pay someone to raise my child..just makes no sense to me, but I carry the insurance so thus I have to work

You will still be raising your child.  Using daycare, having a nanny or whatever does not mean that person is raising your child.  When you send your child off to first grade will you see it as the teacher raising your child?  Of course not, so why look at daycare that way.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

I'm a freelance writer and I had originally decided to take off the rest of the year and start working again in January. Now I'm wondering how feasible that really is... the whole 'work when baby naps' thing might work for a little bit, but I also need time to shower, eat, exercise, take care of the house, make dinner, etc. I'm already busy during nap times and I can't imagine how I'll get anything done when I'm trying to work! 

So, I'm still struggling with this. Part of me wants to devote myself full-time to raising LO during this first year, especially since I'm thinking I'll have to get a sitter or do daycare at least a few days to get any real writing done. But, the income hit would really suck. We could make it work, but we would definitely miss that income. I don't know what to do! 

• Options

I had debated staying home, but then I really went batty doing the SAHM thing while on maternity leave. My first week back was really a relief at first. I definitely miss him tons now that it's Friday and I've seen him only a few hours total this week. I figure I'll make the most of my weekends and holidays.

I'm super thankful about the pp who mentioned 1st grade and daycare being similar. That helped me a little. I just worry he's going to be around all these other people so much more than me and just not know who I am. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've always wanted to be a SAHM. But the plan has been for me to go back to work part time the beginning of the new year. I know H is trying to find a way around me having to go back, but I dont think it's going to happen. And lately I have been feeling really really guilty that I'm not bringing any money into the home. So I might be trying to find something soon rather then later... though I can't for a second imagine having to go to work right now. LO is still so young and I just want to be with him. =(
    Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am not domesticated and have no desire to stay home with Sparky. BUT, I hate that he has more waking hours with is daycare provider than with us. AND I want to quit my job because I hate it. I'm so flippin' bored and not motivated at all. 

However, I need to work in order for us to save for a new, bigger house, which is necessary if we want another kid, which we do. When that kid comes, though, I think I might just start doing contract work to keep up my experience and not return to FT work for a while. THEN I can have an easier transition into the new line of work I really want to be in when my kids are old enough for me to be ok with travel.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"