Washington Babies

My kid is never gonna have a name

This time, i really wanted to have my kid named before he was born.  DH will NOT even have the discussion.  Evertime I try to talk about it he says "put it on the list".  Now the list is a million names long and I'm no closer to a decision.

Ugh!

Angel or other who like to name children: what suggestions do you have that go with DS#1 and start with an "N"? 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12

Re: My kid is never gonna have a name

• According to the Name Genie, we should name our next boy child Richard Cornelius. However, DH ruined the name for me (Stick out tongue) when he said the baby would be called Richard Cornhole.

Boy names are super hard for me to come up with right now. With your last name, I like Colin, Riley, Carson, Nathan, Ashton is kinda cool, I LOVE Finn, Charles/Charlie (this is on our short list), Max is pretty awesome, Ethan, and Mason.

ETA: I fail at reading comprehension lately. I didn't even see your "N" criteria. I think Nathan is the it name in that case! It sounds great with your last name and it sounds great with Walter. Both are strong male names!

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Names were the death of us...AND we were team green.

So, you are set on "N" to start (religious reason maybe?)  .... Well, there is the standard Nathan, Noah, Nicholas, Nelson...or what about Nolan or Nash? I work with a Nicodemus and I think it's a cool name, Nico could be short.Your last name works with a lot so you are lucky there.

• Loading the player...
  • My first thought was Nathan, and that was even before I read your "starts with N" criteria :)   Nathan and W just flow well together.

Other N names I like are Noah, Nicholas and Neil.

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • My first thought was Nathan too...and that was before reading the other responses!

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• I like Nathan too, and also love Noah and Nolan. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really like Nelson and Nathan. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nicholas!!
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Noah is my favorite boy's name. It is hard to name a person! Good luck. :)
    TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Nathan and Nicholas both flow very well with your LN and W's name :)
  • I like Nathaniel, Noah and Nicholas.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • I like Leanne's idea of Nolan. It's a little more unusual, as W is, and goes with your LN. I also like Nelson, Nels, Norman, and Norris.

• Thanks guys! The N thing is kinda stupid but it's W's idea: we'll be N S E W. All we are missing is the North. (he's obsessed with maps and loves the compass). We aren't 100% set on it but want to entertain the idea. DH has a cousin Nathan, same last name. Does that matter? Other cousin married a Noah but different last name so I wouldn't be opposed to that. Noah is funny because we have a cup and plate with Noah on it. W's name is never on anything so I let him choose a cup/plate set once and he picked Noah. Sign?
  • imageWatchPot:
    Thanks guys! The N thing is kinda stupid but it's W's idea: we'll be N S E W. All we are missing is the North. (he's obsessed with maps and loves the compass). We aren't 100% set on it but want to entertain the idea. DH has a

That's just too cute!

Love Nathaniel/Nate. For names that are more old-fashioned that might match W's, you could consider: Neal/Neil, Nelson, Nolan, Nigel, Norman ("man of the North" according to one baby name book I have), Norton ("dignified man of the North").

Photobucket  image
    Married: December 2005 ~ Started TTC: December 2008 ~ DH: 33, Me: 30
    Diagnosis: severe MFI, late ovulation, short LP, DOR
    Only option is IVF/ICIS. Waited several years before treatment because we're OOP.
    IVF/ICIS #1 in June 2012 (Protocol: Long Lupron). Stims: 6/17/12, ER: 6/30/12 (6R, 5M, 4F), ET: 7/5/12 (1 4AA embryo transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 7/14/12 - 55, Beta#2: 7/16/12 - 100, Beta#3: 7/18/12 - 199 ~ Limbo for weeks, finally confirmed pregnancy not viable: 8/13/12 ~ D&C: 8/17/12 
    Varicocele Surgery: October 2012 (long break to wait for results, no change) 
    Changed clinics: February 2013 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #2 in April 2013 (Protocol: Antagonist). Stims: 4/12/13, Cycle Cancelled: 4/17/13 for poor follicle response and low E2 rise. 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #3 in May 2013 (Protocol: LEAP) Cycle Cancelled: 5/20/13 at suppression check due to cyst
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #4 in July 2013 (Protocol: LEAP). Stims: 7/20/13, ER: 8/1/13 (12R, 11M, 9F), ET: 8/6/13 (3 fair embryos transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 8/15/13 - 86, Beta#2: 8/18/13 - 390.6, Ultrasound: 9/3/13 - TWO HEARTBEATS! 

• imageStellaZ:
    Um, total sign :)

Complete sign.

Even beforeI  saw the N to start I thought of Nathan, but I can't suggest it becasue I want to keep the name in low rotation.

I also like Nathaniel. With the names in your family, I'd stick with more traditional names

• What about Niles or Neil?I like Nelson too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I love Noah. And Nolan.

Other N names... Newton, Nigel, Nils, Nixon, North, Norton, Norman, Norbert.

• I love Nathaniel. And Noah was always one of my favorite boy names, but DH had a boss named Noah who we don't like so that sort of ruined that name for us. I love the N S E W idea!
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nathan or Noah, for sure! Love em both.
  • I like Nolan and Nicolai
  • DS#1 is German for Powerful Warrior...cool!

Arthur and Philip are the first names that comes to mind, but since you have to start with an N...

Nathan (Hebrew - He Gave)

Nathanael/Nathaniel (Hebrew - God has Given)

Nolan (Irish - Champion)

Nelson (English - Son of Neil)

Neil/Neal (Irish, English, Scottish - Champion)

Nicholas (Greek - People of Victory)

I also checked out the top 1000, and ther aren't many N names featured...most of them are variations on Nicholas or Nathaniel. So I went to Behind the Name. N is not a letter that has a lot of middle ground. Either they're familiar and well-used or their completely obscure. The few middle ground ones I did find aren't something most people in general would consider for a human (in other words, generally people know of, or have heard of, the name, but prefer it on a pet or their uncles/grandfathers). For instance, Nicodemus, Nimrod, Nigel, Noble, and Norbert. I'm not sure your feelings on these following names, but I have seen some good discussions on these on the name board in the past, so I thought I'd throw them out there.

Niles - are you thinking strictly British? Niles Crane? If so, it's okay. I do like that this name is obviously masculine, easy to say, easy to spell and is familar despite not being in the top 1000 in the US for several decades. Might be too out there for most, but all it takes is one cute little boy with this name to make it the next Miles or Linus.

Noel  - The Noels I've seen are smart and confident. The downside is that less Noel-knowing people might pronounce it No-EL, which is how it's said in France. (Just for the record, the feminine is spelled Noelle).

Norman - I prefer Normand, but this is a familiar N name. I've seen the argument that DS#1's name is strictly an old man name. While I don't agree I thought I would throw this in the list because of it's similar label.

Normand - For some reason I feel the D gives this older name a bit more punch. Still masculine, it's not popular, but I have a soft spot for it because of the letters O and D. Not quite as sexy as Desmond, but with a similar feel. (Desmond became sexy thanks to LOST - it went from obscure to all over the name board.)

I'm curious as to why it needs to start with an N...family tradition? Honorific? Is it possible to do a full name with an N nick name?

My top three of these would be (in order), Nicholas, Nolan, Neil. Nicholas is a solid, familiar name, and seems like a good fit on a second-born. Probably because my neighbor had a Gavin and a Nicholas.

For me, the LT in DS#1's name has a similar feel to the CH and L of this name. The first letters of each seem like they would belong to round names, but then there's the punch of those middle letters to make it lighter and give an air of intelligence. I hope I'm making sense...letters in names give me certain impressions when they're arranged certain ways. For istance Emmett and Everett. Emmett has a softer feel. The sharpness of the T (terrific, taut, tact, terrible, tense) doesn't show up until the end. While Everett has the same ending, it also has the Viviacious letter, V as a jumping point into the rest of the syllables, and therefore gives a different impression.

Anyway, back to the list...Nolan. Just as your first son's name isn't the first name most people would think of for that letter, Nolan isn't the top N name people consider either. It has the bonus of being familiar and easy to spell, while obviously masculine, and thanks to the baseball player, it also has an athletic tone to it. It doesn't have that sharp letter in the middle like DS#1, but I think it gives the bearer a different feel - it's flow is laid back. It eases from N to N. It also has two syllables. This would have been my number one pick if I didn't like Nicholas so much. Especially since it's less popular, but still very familiar.

Neil/Neal - I wasn't exactly sure about this for the number three slot, but I kept coming back to the feel of the name. Despite being only one syllable, it's not punchy like a Chad, Mike, or Chris. It's softer, in the vein of Shane and Seth, but easier to say. It does have two spelling variations, which I feel might detract from it, but Neil is the only one ranked in the top 1000 (#683).

All this might be completely useless because I'm not sure of your name tastes, but I had a lot of fun putting it together. As for getting your guy to engage in a name discussion, has he said a reason for putting it off or deflecting? Sometimes it helps for the other person to see how important it is. And sometimes you're just up against someone who is stubborn. I've certainly seen lots of both on the name board.

My advice is to not push, but keep it as an open topic. Otherwise it will make it about the not wanting to discuss as opposed to the names. Even if it's just a one way conversation, you can plant seeds for names you like or don't like. Familarity breeds acceptance. Randomly say a merit for a name and then let it go. if you think of a con, say that also on a seperate occassion, but keep it light and again, let it go. Don't expect anything in return for now. Later (I'm not sure how much time you have left), when you have a list in hand, ask if he prefers one name over another name. If he deflects, just keep it light and say you were curious about his opinion because either you were stuck or you heard some pros and cons for each name and can't make up your mind on them. If he answers, make a note (I keep a note card handy on the fridge so it's visible to both of us), then rank them based on what he says. Maybe it's not a rank you agree with, but at least you'll have a note of it. The goal is to go in with only a handful of names. If your list is 20 names, get it down to 10. If you start out with 10 names, see if you can get it down to your top three. It's a long process I know.

I hope this helps! If you want to email me a list of names you're considering I can do a full pros/cons. (Plus I'm super curious!)

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Okay, I just read the previous responses. I left out Noah - I thought it might be too popular...oops! I'm generally not a fan of kids helping to pick out names, but Noah is a good, familiar, masculine name...not like Chewbacca or Princess. :)

And my conffession is that I love the word name, North. I don't have the guts to use it and frankly, it wouldn't do well with my last name, but I love it just the same.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
  • imageWatchPot:
    Thanks guys! The N thing is kinda stupid but it's W's idea: we'll be N S E W. All we are missing is the North. (he's obsessed with maps and loves the compass). We aren't 100% set on it but want to entertain the idea. DH has a cousin Nathan, same last name. Does that matter? Other cousin married a Noah but different last name so I wouldn't be opposed to that. Noah is funny because we have a cup and plate with Noah on it. W's name is never on anything so I let him choose a cup/plate set once and he picked Noah. Sign?

Okay, I get it. Hey, that's totally okay - we obsessed with finding a middle name that was 8 letters long because E's first and middle were and P's first was. Despite being an accident, it's fun to challenge yourself to see what you come up with.

Generally I say that cousins with the same first names aren't a big deal, especially when it's as popular as Nathan. However, since they'd be sharing the same last name, that could cause some issues. I work in a place that has many Juniors, III and relatives with the same names, and it gets so dang confusing. I've had customers complain about other companies mixing them up with their uncles, cousins, fathers, sons etc. And if that persons credit is bad, it gets even worse. If Nathan is your number one, then go for it, but just a heads up on the potential problem.

• imagebraveangel2:

DS#1 is German for Powerful Warrior...cool!

Arthur and Philip are the first names that comes to mind, but since you have to start with an N...

Arthur is on DH's "list".  I am not in love with it, but haven't eliminated it yet either.  Our top contenders:

Leo, Arthur, Alexander, Lane, Lourne ( I really like an "L" Name before W decided on his N input".  Recently added: Theodore. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"