Cloth Diapering
Options

Please help me with the smell!

found out i have hard water. ok, treating it with water softener. using rockin green hard rock instead of classic rock now. even used some bleach in this last wash ... i have an he front loader... total suckitude... but i rinse rinse rinse... and usually sun and line dry but it has been horribly rainy here for over a week... all that, and i just took out my diapers, and guess what, they stink. have only been full time cding for three weeks. what am i doingwrong/ what can i do to fix this
image Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Please help me with the smell!

• Options
    I have hard water and had stink issues with RnG - (never tried the hard rock). I have a top loader and do a cold/cold rinse, hot/cold heavy cycle with 2 Dropps (dye free), then another hot cold heavy cycle with no detergent. This seems to work - if I use less Dropps or skip/cut any of the cycles short, the stink comes back quickly. It took a lot of trial and error to figure this out for me. Good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I am not sure what kind of dipes you have, but I was having smell problems and wrote to Bum Genius via their site. I told them we had hard water and what I was doing to wash.  They wrote back promptly and have me some ideas.  You might give that a try?  I also have hard water, smelly dipes, HE frontloader, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had lots of issues w/RNG but switched to Tide Powder (Ultra). The smell issues all went away!
    DS1: Wild Man born 11/28/07
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

First off, sorry for my original post, I was on my phone (android) and it hates this forum for some reason- sorry for the spelling and grammar issues!

I have BG 4.0s... and I am so shocked about the RNG possibly being a culprit!! I was so convinced I HAD to buy special CD formulated detergent!!! 

• Options
    imageaudrey9786:

I have BG 4.0s... and I am so shocked about the RNG possibly being a culprit!! I was so convinced I HAD to buy special CD formulated detergent!!! 

I totally hear ya! I have almost 3/4 of a bag of RNG in my laundry room...and have no use for it. I'm going to use it to clean carpets, I think :-)

DS1: Wild Man born 11/28/07
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would strip to start fresh. The first thing to consider is what you're smelling. Is it ammonia or barnyard?

Ammonia is too much detergent, you might want to consider switching to Tide or something else.

Barnyard is not enough detergent. You definitely have to play around with amounts a little. 

Since you have hard water I'm not sure if your using Calgon or what, but you can also try Tea Tree Oil or RLR. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's definitely barnyard! I never in my life imagined I would dedicate so much of my life to the mysteries of laundry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"