TTC After a Loss

Ovulation and Ovidrel shot..help!

Hello ~ I am new to the bump, but joined to get some feedback about some things I have going on..sorry this is a little lengthy!

This cycle I took Clomid CD4-8 and scheduled for follicle check on day 12. At my check I had a few good candidates, but not quite there yet. (They were around 1.7 & 1.79 cm and the doc wanted them at 2cm) It wasn't my usual obgyn and he recommended I wait a couple days, come back and do another check, before doing the Ovidrel. 

I went back yesterday, on CD 14 and my doc measured a couple around the same size, and smaller. She was puzzled. Her concern was that I had already ovulated....between the time I had the 1st check and the 2nd check. 

I was so frustrated because they did not suggest that we have BMS (baby making sex) in between checks. I started ovulation test strips the day of the 1st check, but did not get a clear positive. My doc said to go ahead and do the Ovidrel injection as scheduled because she wasn't sure if I really had ovulated or not. DH and I had intercourse on CD 9 & 10, so she was doubtful that we would conceive based on ovulating between CD 12-14. But I thought sperm could live for at least 2-7 days depending on the quality of the cervical mucus and such?

I was a little worried about doing the shot if I have already ovulated.. I did do it this morning regardless of my concerns.. I am just not sure what to think and hoping there are no crazy effects from injecting after actual ovulation, if that is the case.

Had BMS last night, and plan to go forward with the 36hr post injection BMS as well. 

Anyone have experience with this situation? Or have any words of wisdom?

Thanks! xx

Me: 32 DH: 38 TTC for 4 years (total) Me: PCOS, Low Progesterone, Factor V Leiden Thrombophillia (fancy for genetic blood clotting disorder) I've had 4 miscarriages, two with my current DH, and two in my previous marriage. Unfortunately, I am the common factor here! *3/2012: Clomid CD 4-9, awaiting ovulation!! *1-23-2012 BFP! Unfortunately without Progesterone supplements early on, M/C 1-30-2012 *3-2010 BFP! Low progesterone, small gest sac, m/c 4-2010 at 9 wks *9-2008 BFP, Tried Myofacial Release Therapy and Daily Progesterone Injections. m/c 10-2008 at 9 wks *9-2007 BFP, Clomid, Estrace, Gonal F injection, Progesterone suppositories. m/c 10-2007 at 7wks

Re: Ovulation and Ovidrel shot..help!

• Also - I have been a LATE ovulator over the past few months of tracking (typically between day 16 and 25!) So I assume that is why no one was really worried about me ovulating prematurely.. Confused

Me: 32 DH: 38 TTC for 4 years (total) Me: PCOS, Low Progesterone, Factor V Leiden Thrombophillia (fancy for genetic blood clotting disorder) I've had 4 miscarriages, two with my current DH, and two in my previous marriage. Unfortunately, I am the common factor here! *3/2012: Clomid CD 4-9, awaiting ovulation!! *1-23-2012 BFP! Unfortunately without Progesterone supplements early on, M/C 1-30-2012 *3-2010 BFP! Low progesterone, small gest sac, m/c 4-2010 at 9 wks *9-2008 BFP, Tried Myofacial Release Therapy and Daily Progesterone Injections. m/c 10-2008 at 9 wks *9-2007 BFP, Clomid, Estrace, Gonal F injection, Progesterone suppositories. m/c 10-2007 at 7wks
  • You'll probably get a better response on the 3T or IF board. There are a few of us here dealing with IF, but most aren't.ETA: are you seeing a RE? If not I think that should be your next step. It seems odd that you would have potentially ovulated between the two ultrasounds. Perhaps growth stalled for some reason? I see you did injectables before, why are you back to just clomid now?ETA2: Definitely not saying you're not welcome here, I'm sorry if it came off that way! I personally post on TTCAL and 3T, just some questions will get more knowledgeable answers in different places Smile
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no experience, however, I would do the shot and BD some some. {BTW - I see why we like BD better, BMS make me think Bowel Movements} If you did already ovulate, i'd assume doing the shot not would not be a bad thing, especially since your doctor told you to! 

Since you're usually a late ovulator, maybe 2 days just wasn't enough for the two dominate follies to grow.

Good luck no matter what you do! I hope you stick around :)  

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• imageCashewsMommy:

I have no experience, however, I would do the shot and BD some some. {BTW - I see why we like BD better, BMS make me think Bowel Movements} If you did already ovulate, i'd assume doing the shot not would not be a bad thing, especially since your doctor told you to! 

Since you're usually a late ovulator, maybe 2 days just wasn't enough for the two dominate follies to grow.

This. And wanted to add that the Ovidrel shot won't effect anything you've already ovulated, and any side effects you may have shouldn't be an issue. Most people only have sore breasts, light nausea and possibly bloating.

Also wanted to 2nd Cashew's idea that perhaps the follicles stopped growing or slowed down in growth. It can happen.

Did you have any ovulation signs? EWCM? cramping? bloating? back ache?

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • imageBzeetyD:
    imageCashewsMommy:

I have no experience, however, I would do the shot and BD some some. {BTW - I see why we like BD better, BMS make me think Bowel Movements} If you did already ovulate, i'd assume doing the shot not would not be a bad thing, especially since your doctor told you to! 

This. And wanted to add that the Ovidrel shot won't effect anything you've already ovulated, and any side effects you may have shouldn't be an issue. Most people only have sore breasts, light nausea and possibly bloating.

Also wanted to 2nd Cashew's idea that perhaps the follicles stopped growing or slowed down in growth. It can happen.

Did you have any ovulation signs? EWCM? cramping? bloating? back ache?

Also, do you chart? Maybe this is something you should look into doing.

There was one cycle where my 2nd follie check showed my dominate follicle decreasing in size. I was so upset and angry. Then, my temps started a gradual increase.... so the decreasing follie was really it shrinking due to ovulation! I didn't spend the next 2 weeks in a funk thinking that cycle was a bust due to not producing any follies.

However, we didn't BD as much as we wanted to because I didn't realize.  

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• i do ovidrel and clomid but cant they tell which side you ovulated from and if  you even ovulated by the ultrasound? For some reason I was thinking they could

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Thanks! I'm not familiar with the different boards yet so thanks for the tip! Is that the "Trouble trying to conceive" group?

I actually did the first 2 IF treatments with my ex-husband.. So the first 2 of the 3 miscarriages were with my ex, too bad I am the common factor here! :( However, turns out it was sort of a blessing in disguise, not having kiddos with the first hubby..but also it was a giant strain on our relationship and it couldn't hold up.

Now I am happily remarried and have moved out of state with my Army guy. I am just seeing an OBGYN right now because there aren't any infertility places nearby (most are 2 hrs away) and since my hubby and I got preggo with no help last last year. 

The doc I'm seeing is not too well versed in much other than the clomid and progesterone suppositories.. so I feel like I am basically starting over. I've lost about 30lbs since the first 2 pregnancies so that has helped with the PCOS and ovulation. And since we have (hopefully) nailed down the issue of blood clotting, I should be able to have a healthy pregnancy..barring no other issues!

So anyway - I'll try the other boards too :) I hope they didn't stall out, but there is nothing that really surprises me these days, so it's possible!

• I usually just do the ovulation dip strips to track ovulation, and I have an app on my Ipod that I use to track different things.(cycles, symptoms, notes, appts)

On Monday and Tuesday I was actually really nauseous, and have been off and on (I have a feeling some of it is stress related) But yes I have had a lot of twinges and tugs, actually since Sunday, as well as bloating and a nagging lower left back pain over the past couple days. I did have EWCM on Sunday or Monday.. I have been really spacey this cycle, not tracking as much just due to my crazy schedule and things going on...plus since we were doing the follicle check I was like oh I guess I really don't need to worry about tracking. (DUH! Rookie mistake there lol)

Bzeety ~ Thanks I can deal with minor side effects, I was just worried about overstimulating or harming a potential fertilized egg... so that's good!

sandra ~ there were actually 2 follicles close to the "preferred" size, one on the Right and one on the Left ovary on the 1st check.. On the 2nd check there was also one on each side but they were about the same size as the first check, or a little smaller. As far as I know they can't tell for sure which side ovulated or even if ovulation took place for certain.

It is very possible that I ovulated before the 1st check even - but that would be pretty early for me.. Maybe the Clomid really sent my follicles in overdrive!??

Or they just stalled out.. Hard to say :( I could kick myself for not doing ov. tests prior to the checks!!!!

One positive thing is that we did BD on CD 9 & 10 so if I did ovulate early, there were little swimmers waiting!  ;) and if I haven't yet, then we'll hopefully time it right with the shot and BD on CD 16.

Shew this is all exhausting no matter how many times you go through it! And then the TWW :P 

Thanks ladies for helping me sort through this! :) I will keep everyone posted if/when I find stuff out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"