Trouble TTC
Options

Planned Parenthood - Suing NC for new abortion laws

Planned Parenthood is suing NC over the new abortion laws, which require a woman to undergo counseling and wait 24 hours before obtaining an abortion. Along with that, the woman is required to have an ultrasound within 72 ours of the planned abortion and have images of the fetus within view and be offered the opportunity to hear the heartbeat. Meanwhile, the health care provider must explain the age, size, position and physical features of the fetus.  The law also requires the provider to tell a woman seeking an abortion that alternatives like adoption are available, that she may be able to get medical assistance, welfare and food stamps to help her with living expenses if she keeps her child and that the father of the child could be sued for child support. (I got this information from an article on WRAL.com)

I understand this is a touchy subject and people have their own opinions. I would like to get your views on whether or not you believe this is right. I am firmly against abortion. I was happy when this law passed. It may not be right to completely outlaw abortion (which will probably never be the case), but I believe it's good to let the woman see what she is aborting.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Planned Parenthood - Suing NC for new abortion laws

• Options

I too live in NC. I am obviously against abortion for myself. I would give almost anything to get pregnant and have a healthy baby at this point. However, I do not think it is my right to choose for another person what is best for them. So in this case, I am for a woman having the right to choose for herself.

At first glance, I was against this law, but I totally agree with it. Any time you give a person more education and/or information to make the best decision for them, is a good thing. There will be some people who will get this counseling and they will not have a abortion and there will be some that it wont matter.

But I think its great to give people all their options and let them make the ultimate decision. Maybe its just the nurse in me.

Married 11 years. PCOS; TTC since 2009; 3 unsuccessful IUIs;
    New RE. First & Hopefully Last IVF November 2013.
  • Options
    Btw... We will be starting our first Clomid and IUI this month. Maybe we can be cycle buddies. I am new here, but that seems to be a common thing. Sending baby dust your way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecscronce:

I too live in NC. I am obviously against abortion for myself. I would give almost anything to get pregnant and have a healthy baby at this point. However, I do not think it is my right to choose for another person what is best for them. So in this case, I am for a woman having the right to choose for herself.

At first glance, I was against this law, but I totally agree with it. Any time you give a person more education and/or information to make the best decision for them, is a good thing. There will be some people who will get this counseling and they will not have a abortion and there will be some that it wont matter.

But I think its great to give people all their options and let them make the ultimate decision. Maybe its just the nurse in me.

Yes

• Options

imagecscronce:
    Btw... We will be starting our first Clomid and IUI this month. Maybe we can be cycle buddies. I am new here, but that seems to be a common thing. Sending baby dust your way.

Thank you! It will be about another 3 weeks before I start Clomid. If I don't start my period in 3 weeks, I will be inducing it with Prometrium and starting Clomid. When will you be taking it? Good luck with the IUI!

• Options

I've always been Pro-Choice and still am (despite my IF). I guess I don't disagree with requiring that the abortion provider tell the woman that there are alternatives (although, I'm going to presume most women understand adoption is always an alternative and despite that alternative, abortion is still the route they're going to pursue).

I don't agree with requiring an ultrasound within 72 hours of the abortion though. To me, that's just laying on guilt and shame on someone who's already faced with making a heart wrenching decision.

People have abortions for different reasons. Some people have them because they're not emotionally and/or financially prepared for a baby. Say what you will about "Well, you shouldn't have had sex then." or "You should've used protection." Protection isn't always 100% effective and people will be be people...they're going to have sex.

Some people have them because there's been a confirmed developmental issue with the fetus and rather than subject a baby/child/person to a life of pain and challenges, they're choosing to terminate. I'd hate to think a woman dealing with that pain and anguish would be "forced" to see ultrasound images of the baby before proceeding with an abortion.

I have nothing against pro-lifers...at ALL. I respect you for your opinion, but I find it funny that so many people who stand outside clinics picketting and protesting abortion are the first to want to cut off welfare.

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I might be the lone dissenter here, but I don't like this law and others like it at all. I'm very pro-choice, and if abortion is to be the woman's choice, then it needs to be 100% her choice. If a state wants to pass a law that says physicians can offer ultrasounds, info on age, size, position, etc. of the fetus, then I think women should have the right to refuse that information. I don't think it should be forced on anyone.
  • Options

I am scheduled to take clomid days 3-7 of my cycle, which is suppose to start today. I am looking for her. I was telling someone its so funny because I have spent so many years wishing AF would go away and stay way. Now when I am looking for her, she takes her sweet time. Isn't that interesting.

So hopefully she comes today or tomorrow, so we can get this show on the road. GL with everything!

• Options
    imagejessicandavies:

I've always been Pro-Choice and still am (despite my IF). I guess I don't disagree with requiring that the abortion provider tell the woman that there are alternatives (although, I'm going to presume most women understand adoption is always an alternative and despite that alternative, abortion is still the route they're going to pursue).

I don't agree with requiring an ultrasound within 72 hours of the abortion though. To me, that's just laying on guilt and shame on someone who's already faced with making a heart wrenching decision.

People have abortions for different reasons. Some people have them because they're not emotionally and/or financially prepared for a baby. Say what you will about "Well, you shouldn't have had sex then." or "You should've used protection." Protection isn't always 100% effective and people will be be people...they're going to have sex.

Some people have them because there's been a confirmed developmental issue with the fetus and rather than subject a baby/child/person to a life of pain and challenges, they're choosing to terminate. I'd hate to think a woman dealing with that pain and anguish would be "forced" to see ultrasound images of the baby before proceeding with an abortion.

I have nothing against pro-lifers...at ALL. I respect you for your opinion, but I find it funny that so many people who stand outside clinics picketting and protesting abortion are the first to want to cut off welfare.

This!!  Esp. the bolded section. 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options

No the interesting thing are those who are against abortion, but for the death penalty. That's very perplexing to me. just saying.

I am for a woman's right to choose, but as a nurse, I am for giving a woman all of their options and if she chooses abortion, it is her right. No judgements. There should be something that a woman who definitely knows what she wants can opt out.

Also adding to the perplexity of the issues. North Carolina adding this law must be pro-baby, but it isnt a state that allows insurance companies to cover IUI or IVF.

My plan through BCBS firmly states it will not cover IUI and IVF. They will cover medications for infertility if they do not involve artificial insemination (IUI and IVF). What's the darn point?

• Options

imagemoosegal:
    I might be the lone dissenter here, but I don't like this law and others like it at all. I'm very pro-choice, and if abortion is to be the woman's choice, then it needs to be 100% her choice. If a state wants to pass a law that says physicians can offer ultrasounds, info on age, size, position, etc. of the fetus, then I think women should have the right to refuse that information. I don't think it should be forced on anyone.

You are not the lone dissenter - I agree with you 100%!  

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• Options
    imagehootie123:

imagemoosegal:

Ditto. 

TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options
    imagemandalinn25:
    imagehootie123:

imagemoosegal:

Ditto. 

You can add me to this group.  

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagelimpetfan:
    imagemandalinn25:
    imagehootie123:

imagemoosegal:

Ditto. 

Me too. 

Gus Gus
    Born: August 27th, 2012
    8lbs. 15oz. 20" @ 7:07pm
    August 2012 July Siggy: Pool Baby
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow The White Rabitt

• Options
    And me.
    TTC #1 since April 2010
  • Options
    i agree with it. my best friend was pregnant when she was a teenager and got an abortion and she deeply regrets it. He parents forced her in there and she never knew anything about her options. She wasnt even asked if this is what she really wants. It was terrible. i think this law is a great idea. Doesn't take away the option to chose what you want but it informs you so that you can make an educated decision.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    imageRabitt313:
    imagelimpetfan:
    imagemandalinn25:
    imagehootie123:

imagemoosegal:

Ditto. 

Me too. 

Yep, add me to this group as well. I feel like many women will feel "guilted" into the decision of keeping the pregnancy. They should have the choice as to whether or not they'd like the additional information and u/s and such.

TTC #1 since 6/2010
    8 IUIs - 3 Cancelled cycles - 1 Ectopic Pregnancy with Left tube removal = A broken heart
    IVF #1 : Fall 2012
    15R - 13M - 13F w/ICSI - Transferred 2 day 5 blasts = BFP!!!
    8 Frosties!
    Beta #1: 135, Beta #2: 312, Beta #3: 996
    10/21: Saw one beautiful flickering heartbeat! EDD: 6/12/13
    ?S/PAIFW?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimageBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagekathrynlo:
    imageRabitt313:
    imagelimpetfan:
    imagemandalinn25:
    imagehootie123:

imagemoosegal:

Ditto. 

Me too. 

Yep, add me to this group as well. I feel like many women will feel "guilted" into the decision of keeping the pregnancy. They should have the choice as to whether or not they'd like the additional information and u/s and such.

Add me too!  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I wish I could quote from my tablet because I'd like to be added to the long list of dissenters.  I've always been pro-choice and my IF hasn't changed my views.

Noone is pro-abortion but I would never judge someone for getting an abortion.   

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Add me to the list of dissenters too. Regardless of my struggles with IF, I am totally pro-choice and think it's ridiculous that they are requiring a woman to wait 72 hours to get the procedure and get lectured by the doctor. This is condescending and the first step toward repealing Roe v Wade. Ultimately, this wait time will punish those with less resources (women from rural areas who have less access to transportation, urban women who lack car/funds to get to and from the clinic multiple times, women who can't afford to take more days off work for multiple appointments, etc).

It's pretty scary what the right-wing crazies are trying to do to places like Planned Parenthood, which protect our rights as women and it really bothers me that they couch all of this in religious mumbo jumbo as if this somehow makes their arguments infallible. As previous posters have said, it's these people who are bombing abortion clinics, pro-death penalty, and getting caught being hypocritical (doing drugs or having affairs after talking up "family values.")

Sorry for the long rant, but this stuff really pisses me off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    imagecscronce:
    No the interesting thing are those who are against abortion, but for the death penalty. That's very perplexing to me. just saying.

A person facing the death penalty has had a chance at life and chose a path that may lead to death.  A fetus does not have a choice at life.  Those against abortion are just trying to be an advocate for the unborn and give them a chance.

• Options
    Leaving my personal beliefs about abortion out, I do think it would be a good idea to offer counseling to women before and after abortions. It's sad but true, that many women *feel* as though they don't have another option even if they *know* about adoption (does that make sense?). I feel like the 72 hour thing shouldn't be forced but an option in conjunction with seeing a counselor or something of the like. 
    Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • Options
    I'm pretty impressed at how respectful this thread has been. I am personally against abortion but am not a right wing crazy; I am also against the death penalty and intermingling politics with religion. I don't think this law takes away a woman's choice; I think it allows her to make a more informed one. This discussion made me think of all the consents i signed yesterday for my IVF. There were certain things in the info packet I didn't want to think about; what to do with the embryos should something happen to both of us, the possibility of birth defects, the effects and of this on my body and the risks inherent in the procedures. But I had to think about these things and have all the information before making an informed decision. I also think a counselor could help in situations where the woman is deep down not okay with it, even if she has convinced herself that she is, because of pressure from others, like her partner or her parents. In other words, a counselor could help her determine if this really is her choice.

TTC since October 2009
    2 failed IUIs with Clomid
    IVF #1, ER 10/29/2011
    ET 11/3/2011
    One embryo transferred, four frozen
    11/12/2011, BFP, 11/13/2011, BFP, 11/14/2011, BFP
    First Beta 11/14/2011, 499
    Second Beta 11/16/2011, 893
    Third Beta 11/18/2011, 1510

Lost my dear husband, October 3, 2012. You are the bear of my heart dear, and nothing can take that away.

• Options
    imageskittlelove:
    imagecscronce:

A person facing the death penalty has had a chance at life and chose a path that may lead to death.  A fetus does not have a choice at life.  Those against abortion are just trying to be an advocate for the unborn and give them a chance.

I see where you're coming from but the death penalty is still wrong. Take the W. Memphis 3 for instance. Damien Echols was on death row and was just released 5 weeks ago because he and his two friends did not commit those murders and the evidence that freed them was just presented in 2007. What if he had been executed before then?

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
  • Options
    imagejessican08:

This is precisely how I feel about it. I think if you've made the decision to terminate, it's heart-wrenching enough without being made to see pictures and hear the heart-beat. I think most of us who are active know that pregnancy can happen, and that's the chance you take. While I don't feel that abortion should be used as birth control, I feel these new provisions are overly harsh.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

Who's to say the person facing the death penalty had a chance at life. Look at some of the conditions some children grow up in? I think the issues of abortion and the death penalty are not simply black and white. Yes while everyone has a choice sometimes the environment a person comes from can leave them with very little positive choices.

I think when a woman makes the personal decision to get an abortion that is her right and her individual choice, but for a state to make the decision on behalf of "the people" to put someone to death, its a different situation. Again, look at all the people who are being freed after years on death row and then proven innocent.

Also I do appreciate how everyone has made their opinions known, but the tone has stayed very positive. That's why I like this board.

• Options
    imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imagejessican08:

This is precisely how I feel about it. I think if you've made the decision to terminate, it's heart-wrenching enough without being made to see pictures and hear the heart-beat. I think most of us who are active know that pregnancy can happen, and that's the chance you take. While I don't feel that abortion should be used as birth control, I feel these new provisions are overly harsh.

This, exactly. Guilt & shame are (usually) already present, there is no need to amplify them by telling the woman what her baby looks like. I am all for making sure the woman knows that adoption is an option, & confirming that an abortion is what she wants, but asking her to listen to the heartbeat is too much. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"