May 2012 Moms
Options

Do I have to tell the dentist that I am pregnant?

I'll be 7 weeks 5 days at the time of my appointment (just basic cleaning and checkup).  But if he wants to do exrays, I should speak up, right? The dentist is an awesome guy but he knows my family really well, and I feel a little odd about telling him when my parents don't know yet :-)
***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

Re: Do I have to tell the dentist that I am pregnant?

• Options
    You need to tell them before the appointment.  Even without xrays my dentist wanted a release from my OB.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Absolutely need to tell him.  There are changes he will need to make for the whole appointment.  He's a medical professional, he won't tell.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your dentist will likely want a release (listing specifically what can and cannot be done) from your OB.  During my last pregnancy, I was allowed to have x-rays and a cleaning - even a filling - but I was not allowed to get a flouride treatment.  Definitely let them know your are expecting, and as a matter of fact, I would probably have your OB send something to your dentist prior to you appointment, otherwise they may turn you away until the necessary paperwork is recieved.

• Options
    Yes.  Tell him. 
    Me: 39 DH: 35 - TTC #1 since October 2010
    BFP #1 2-1-11 Missed Miscarriage 3-14-11(9 wks)-D&C
    BFP #2 9-17-11 EDD 5-29-12
    Edward James born 3-14-12 weighing 1lb11oz at 29w1d via c section due to low fluid and growth restriction from crappy placenta.
    My BFP Chart
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers <a href="http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/sbphotos1/?action=view
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation.  Thanks for asking the question.  I plan on delaying my appointment.  The lady receiving the order is one of my BFF's mom.  The hygeinest is that BFF preivously mentioned.  We're not ready to tell them yet.

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • Options
    This happened at the beginning of my pregnancy with DS. My dentist was one of the first people to know my news. I would tell at the beginning of the appointment.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have a dentist appointment next week, and I was also curious about the safety of x-rays. My nurse said that it's safe to have the x-ray as long as they sheild you with the lead apron. She even said it's okay to have fillings (if needed) and get a fluoride treatment, just as long as they don't use the gas to numb you during the fillings. I was kind of surprised because I thought flouride wasn't necessarily safe during pregnancy.
  • Options
    You need to let them know!  You probably won't be able to go through with appointment unless you have a doc's note.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yes, you should.. I didn't tell mine two weeks agoEmbarrassed and they took one bitewing x-ray. I am waiting to make my appoinment for fillings until I am in my second trimester.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes. My dentist said he doesn't even like to do fillings during pregnancy.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

This post came at just the right time! As I was reading the replies, my dentist called to remind me of my appointment on Monday -- and I promptly told her that I'll be about 6 wks along then. :)

Thanks for the info, ladies! 

• Options

I think if you're really worried about them telling, maybe just call and tell them you have to reschedule. Then schedule it for a time after you plan to tell your family and then let him know before you show up for the appt, in case he wants a note from your OB. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    While I never needed a release, I did have to tell my dentist. Pregnancy can do some wonderful things to your mouth including pregnancy induced gingivitis and extra sore gums. So it is best to tell them that you are pregnant. Due to HIPPA they cannot tell your family that you are pregnant. 
  • Options

Absolutely I would tell him.  He won't tell your parents.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Wow, I'm shocked at how many have dentists who require releases.

I ended up telling my dentist when I went at 7 weeks last pregnancy.  He persuaded me to do the x-rays, as he stated the radiation levels of the digital x-ray machine and they are in fact less than an airplane ride.  :)  I wore my lead apron and never looked back.  I don't believe they did anything differently in my cleaning than they have at any other cleaning appointment.

I never thought I would need a release from my doctor.  I have a dentist appt next week.  I should call and check if they need something.  I did know that I would need to tell them.  I had x-rays last time, so they shouldn't need any this time. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am a dental hygienist, and I've never worked in an office or heard of one requiring a release form. The only thing we change is we don't take x-rays unless necessary ( a lot of decay or been years since last check) and generally wait to do fillings, if it is fairly deep and could cause infection then we would do fillings prior to 3rd trimester. As far as fluoride we don't do fluoride on adults anyways and I'd never heard of not being able to have it. Otherwise we do everything the same, just if you were bigger we'd have you propped on 1 side with a pillow. But since they are so close to your family you probably wouldn't want your parents finding out any other way than from you. So that is a personal question and one you'd have to decide. Waiting a couple more weeks for an exam won't hurt either ;)
  • Options

I never had to do a release either. I actually had x-rays done a few days before I tested with my first one and all turned out fine. The last time I was at the dentist the hygienist asked if I was pregnant or thought I might be before doing them.

My OB is very big on keeping up with regular dental visits. I did postpone some fillings until after she was born because my dentist wouldn't do them, but my doctor does have certain types/levels of drugs that could be used if needed. I ended up having them done without any pain meds because I was still breastfeeding (and they were not very deep). 

I'm hiding from my local boards!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"