Upstate NY Babies
Options

Pros/Cons of living by a school

Help me think this through please. I asked yesterday about the awkward floor plan house. The other option we are thinking about is a new build in a brand new neighborhood. We would pay more for it and it's a smaller home but we'd get what we want and rest easy that it would be covered under warranty. It's right behind an elementary school which would be great because I could walk the kids to school. But what am I not thinking about? What would be the down side of living right by a school?

Re: Pros/Cons of living by a school

• Options
    We have an elementary school just across a field from us.  I see no downside to it, that I can think of.  Everything is maintained really nicely.  
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and the Pro, all 3 schools are within 2 miles of our house.  I really hope that we can stay here and build on (we only have 2 bedrooms), as I think that it will be so nice to be so close to all of the schools for activities, etc...
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You can't get the bus?  I think if you live too close, the district won't bus your kids, which would suck in poor weather....especially if you are considering getting rid of your second vehicle.

Other than that, I think it would be great!

• Options
    kids cutting through your yard.  Our subdivision is across the street from the school and we have a couple kids that cut through our neighbors yard and it drives my dogs nuts.
  • Options
    Is it just the elementary school you are close to?  I remember that kids in jr high and high school use to cut class and smoke in yards nearby the school.
  • Options
    We live right near an elementary school. I love that the playground is close. I don't really have any downside to it besides twice a day the traffic gets a little backed up trying to get out onto the main road.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Options

I grew up on a street right next to an elementary school, the only downside were kids cutting through the lawn and stealing from our garden.  But that is only because there was a trail behind the house next door down a steep enbankment with a trailer park at the bottom.  Then, I lived directly across from an elementary school near Syracuse university for a couple years, there were a couple down sides.  One was kids cutting through my yard, fixed by putting up a fence.  The other was when there were events going on during the day and parents would park up and down the street, a couple times completely blocking my driveway, but the lots were tiny and I think ppl overlooked the driveways because they were so close together.

My bigger concern would be living in a newly built development.  I decided when we moved the last time against new construction because I didn't want to live in a construction zone for the next 5 years as they build the remaining houses in the developement.  Construction noises, construction vehicles daily, unsafe lots that the kids could wonder onto.  Also construction sites are big targets for thefts.  Most of my neighbors are the original home owners and they all say they will never be anything but one of the very last homes built in a deveopement.

• Options
    imageTinyPinkBug:

My bigger concern would be living in a newly built development.  I decided when we moved the last time against new construction because I didn't want to live in a construction zone for the next 5 years as they build the remaining houses in the developement.  Construction noises, construction vehicles daily, unsafe lots that the kids could wonder onto.  Also construction sites are big targets for thefts.  Most of my neighbors are the original home owners and they all say they will never be anything but one of the very last homes built in a deveopement.

Being a new builder, I never thought of this until someone mentioned it recently. Luckily for us, we bought one of the last lots in the development (theres one left for sale down the street)....thinking of it now, I'd hate to be one of the first built on a street-I hate noise esp when trying to sleep!!

• Options
    We live about a 3 minute walk to an elementary school.  I love being close to the playground which we use a fair amount.  I also like that we will be so close when the kids have school functions.  Right now I'm taking a continuing education class (Zumba) there and love that I can leave 5 minutes before the class starts.  So far I haven't experienced a downside. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks, ladies.  These are the things I was hoping to hear.  I appreciate your feedback.

jnk - if we do one car, I'm sure by the time G starts elementary school, we'd be back to having two.  I'm thinking we might do the one car thing for a year or so.

TinyPinkBug - that's a great point to consider.  Thanks for bringing that up.

• Options

I'm way late, but my IL's live right next to an elementary school.  Like, it's right up against their backyard.  Their good friends back up to the playground, and while you think it might be great, it's annoying sometimes because teenagers will play on the playground at night.  The kids can be really loud and sometimes the cops have to be called because they won't leave.  But again, they're right next to it, I don't know how far you would be.

• Options
    Vicki- I hope you can stay there too, because I think it's a great district :-). I grew up near an elementary school. I had to walk which could be cold, but it's the same as waiting for the bus. Some kids also would cut through our yard from time to time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"