May 2011 Moms
Options

DS rejecting one breast

I am EBF, and for the past few days, DS will not stay latched on my left breast.  He pulls off every few seconds, and gets really frustrated.  I know there is milk because I can express it, and also get a good amount when I pump.  I have tried having him start with the left breast since I know he will be hungry and he still does it.  He also does it when I start with the right breast and switch him over.  Any thoughts on what I can do??  Thanks!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DS rejecting one breast

• Options
    Have you tried feeding the left breast when he's sleepy?  Or you could try starting on the right and sneaking him over to the left without changing his position much.
    Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD has a favorite, too. I pretty much do what the PP suggested...feed her on her least favorite side when she's tired and won't notice, and switch nursing positions often so it doesn't seem like she's on that side. She only nurses on that side a few times a day, so I've been pumping that side a lot and mainly feeding on the other. The good thing about the situation is I'm getting a great freezer stash.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He might have a sore neck or something that makes that side less comfortable. Maybe try a different position/hold?
  • Options
    My son is doing the same thing.... Due to teething pain. I had to pump and just let him favor the right side (while awake) for a few days. (You can definitely use what you pump to build your stash. We gave the cold milk to DS in a bottle to help with his teething pain. ) Try different holds and get him to nurse on the left while sleepy. Make sure to keep pumping and if it doesn't blow over in a few days, I'd get him adjusted and contact a Lactation Consultant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.  They are very helpful.  I have been pumping the left side, and hoping that he will come around again soon.  I never thought to have him nurse from that side when he is sleepy.  Thanks again!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"