Parenting after 35

Best hand me down toys

The holiday gift thread and talk of hand me downs reminded me that my mom dug out my kick ass old Tonka Truck. M luuuuuurrrves it.

What toys have you handed down to your LO's?

Re: Best hand me down toys

• ooooh, good idea. Um, the Tonka Dump truck, 6 Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Ponies, FP Castle with accessories, FP Parking Garage, doll cradle, and a few stuffies. And some Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars.

That Tonka truck rocks, we used to sit on ours and ride it down the hill.

• imagegimmietimmies:

ooooh, good idea. Um, the Tonka Dump truck, 6 Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Ponies, FP Castle with accessories, FP Parking Garage, doll cradle, and a few stuffies. And some Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars.

That Tonka truck rocks, we used to sit on ours and ride it down the hill.

Awesome! I have the dump truck too. It was in perfect condition when my mom brought it over - not sure how long that'll last.

She also brought my Strawberry Shortcake dolls and a toy fridge that was hers when she was little - he doesn't get any of that. He'd wreck the fridge and who knows what the heck they put on Strawberry Shortcake dolls to get them to smell. 

• Loading the player...
  • The dump truck will last. L had it first, and people comment on it all the time, they don't realize how old that thing is. Right now my nephew has it at his house, and he's brutal on toys. It's still going.

I have a Blueberry Muffin plastic figurine that still smells. It's hanging out with the Littlest Pet Shops right now. I got that thing in 1983. Yeah, better not let him have either yet.

• Besides getting my old FB Garage one of these days, I have my old Kermit the Frog stuffed animal.  He has velcro on his hands and feet so you can pose him touching his private parts.

I also have a few toy International Harvester scale model Tractors from my grandfather.  C doesn't get to play with those anytime soon, tho.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Too cool. I just thought about stuff my mom saved, she also had my brother's Bert and Ernie dolls, and they are in fantastic shape.  But (thankfully) no velcro hands. Kermie the perv doll!

Yeah, those tractors are awesome, and probably worth something. I'd be putting them away too.

• I had nothing to really hand down to A.  But I did give him my Donald Duck stuffed toy (that I got for myself only 5 years ago) until he got his own (and I took it back... bad mommy).

But I do have a warm feeling knowing he's sleeping in the same bedroom I did as a girl. 

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • The only toys I have to hand down to my LO are my Cabbage Patch Kids. I have 2 CPK's, a Preemie, and a Koosa. I have a stuffed Odie that MH won for me years ago that I kind of want to hand down, but kind of want to keep for myself. I love my Odie, lol. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagerobynlesley:

I had nothing to really hand down to A.  But I did give him my Donald Duck stuffed toy (that I got for myself only 5 years ago) until he got his own (and I took it back... bad mommy).

But I do have a warm feeling knowing he's sleeping in the same bedroom I did as a girl. 

Sweet. That is super sweet.

As a sad, of funny depending on how you look at it, commentary on my childhood - the 3 places I lived before the age of 7 burned down and the place I lived from 9-18 is now my mom's office. 

• My parents saved a lot of stuff...and since I'm the only one with LO's...they both got my FP street buildings, FP schoolhouse, Mickey Mouse Club weebles, McDonald's set, wooden table and chairs, FP airplane,  FP camper, and some old matchbox-type metal cars. Hubby actually saved some things, too, so my eldest has his old legos and will get more stuff as he gets older. It's so neat seeing them enjoy things that we played with at their ages. Those wooden little people have come a long way...and only my eldest plays with them since they are a choking hazard. I can't believe my parents let me play with those things at a year old!
  • Most of my stuff got handed down to my younger sisters. Today I got one of my cabbage patch kids. I need to clean it up a little and then will give it to DD.
  • Honestly, I am not sure what I have saved from my childhood. When we go to Macedonia the next summer I will check on my toys. But, when my mom came here she brought with her my first rattle. That will be ian's first rattle as well:)
  • I don't have anything :( During the last 20 years, I have lived in 4 different countries (the last 10 y. in this country though). My parents also moved from Russia to this country. All the toys got handed down/thrown out along the way, but we do have old family pictures saved!
  • imagelawry13:
    Most of my stuff got handed down to my younger sisters. Today I got one of my cabbage patch kids. I need to clean it up a little and then will give it to DD.
    Jealous! I ever had a CPK.
  • imagenewbee36:
    Honestly, I am not sure what I have saved from my childhood. When we go to Macedonia the next summer I will check on my toys. But, when my mom came here she brought with her my first rattle. That will be ian's first rattle as well:)
    Awesome! Plus it'll be fun to see what your mom's held onto when you get back to Macedonia!
  • imageateytelb:
    I don't have anything :( During the last 20 years, I have lived in 4 different countries (the last 10 y. in this country though). My parents also moved from Russia to this country. All the toys got handed down/thrown out along the way, but we do have old family pictures saved!
    Boo. But hooray for the pictures!
  • Abby has two of my CPKs and some of my old tutus from ballet class (can't believe they are still intact). My mom brought over some old pictures the other day and DD found pics of me and my CPKs and said, "hey, that's my doll now!" Which was kinda cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"