Northern California Babies
Options

BTDT Moms, need your advice

My mommy playgroup is getting together today at the local movie theater.  I have two 'red flags' that come up for me on this.

1. If TV is bad for them, wouldn't a 2 hour movie be the same?

2. Would a 4 month old even sit through a 2 hour movie? Me thinks not?

I don't want to bring it up to the group as we're all still getting to know each other. I don't want to be anti-social, but I'm leaning towards skipping it.

WWYD?  TIA

ETA: It's a "crybaby matinee" so it's geared towards moms.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BTDT Moms, need your advice

• Options

What movie is it?  Is it an adult movie or a kiddie movie?  If it's an adult movie, it is intended for adults to watch and I think the hope is that the baby will stay in the carseat the entire time.  I bet a 4 month old would sit through the movie, and you could nurse/feed as needed.

If it's a kiddie movie and intended for your toddler to watch, then it's your call.  If you are anti-TV, skip it.  I'm not a fan of TV, but I think movies are okay for kids as it's a special treat to go to the theater.  But if you're uncomfortable with it, just decline and make something up as to why you can't make it.  I wouldn't make a big deal about why you don't want to go - just say your kid is sick or you have an appt or whatever.  Having kids is the perfect excuse to get out of any social situation!

• Options

Your kiddo will not notice the movie at all and will likely either play with other kids, nap, or cuddle you. The movie is more for you than for them :)

Are you going to Campbell Diaper Days? They leave the house lights on and the kids just sit around while you watch, essentially.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMeritage:

What movie is it?  Is it an adult movie or a kiddie movie?  If it's an adult movie, it is intended for adults to watch and I think the hope is that the baby will stay in the carseat the entire time.  I bet a 4 month old would sit through the movie, and you could nurse/feed as needed.

If it's a kiddie movie and intended for your toddler to watch, then it's your call.  If you are anti-TV, skip it.  I'm not a fan of TV, but I think movies are okay for kids as it's a special treat to go to the theater.  But if you're uncomfortable with it, just decline and make something up as to why you can't make it.  I wouldn't make a big deal about why you don't want to go - just say your kid is sick or you have an appt or whatever.  Having kids is the perfect excuse to get out of any social situation!

Ditto everything said here.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It's an adult movie... "I don't know how she does it" and no it's not the Campbell one (I'm in the NBay) but it sounds essentially like what this theater apparently does". 

I'm torn.  Hmmmm....

• Options
    I would go! I think it sounds fun! I wish I had taken advantage of this when my first was still so little.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.Wubbin:
    I would go! I think it sounds fun! I wish I had taken advantage of this when my first was still so little.

Ditto that.  At 4 mos your little one will barely notice the screen.  Get out, have a good laugh, bond with other moms, go somewhere where nobody cares if your LO starts crying or needs to be rocked in the middle of the movie.  I never took advantage of that kind of thing when J was little and I wish I had!  Have fun!  :) 

• Options
    imageMrs_Shmoopie:

imageMrs.Wubbin:

Ditto that.  At 4 mos your little one will barely notice the screen.  Get out, have a good laugh, bond with other moms, go somewhere where nobody cares if your LO starts crying or needs to be rocked in the middle of the movie.  I never took advantage of that kind of thing when J was little and I wish I had!  Have fun!  :) 

You guys are convincing me. It WOULD be so great to get out and see a movie, not to mention hang out with the other moms.  It's good to know that he won't pay attention to the movie though, that makes me feel better about it.

Big Smile

• Options
    imageMrs_Shmoopie:

imageMrs.Wubbin:

Ditto both of these ladies.  Have fun!

• Options
    I don't know what BDTD stands for so I don't know if I should answer, but I have been to these kinds of events. Our local theater has a Wee One Wednesday matinee geared toward moms and young children. I took G to the movies a couple of times around that age. Mostly he slept, and when he wasn't sleeping he was nursing. I took him in the Moby and he had no idea the movie was even on. They also turn the volume on the movie down for the little ones. I felt like it was a perfect way to get a little "me" time.
  • Options
    We do lots of mums 'n bubs movies.  We could go to a show almost everyday if we wanted.  It's more for the mom vs. the baby, and the babies aren't really "watching the movie".  My DS usually has a nap and a feed in the theater.  At our cinemas the lights are dimmed, the volume is lowered and no one cares if the babies cry.  You can spread out and take a few seats to put your stuff down.  Lots of mums bring their carseat into ours and their babies sleep in that.  It's fun; I recommend it.  And I think 4 months is a great age; we've been going since DS was a few weeks old and it's definitely easier to have a wee one vs. a nearly 7 month old, squirmy, more alert kiddo.
  • Options

I think you've gotten plenty of great you should go advice and I agree so I just wanted to address your concern about screen time.  The whole argument behind no screen time is that when they are young A. the don't get anything of value from it B. young kids tend to go kind of blank when they are staring at the screen, captivated by the moving colors ect, so their little brains are not thinking, absorbing, learning and C. that kids get wound up by TV.

At 4 months your little one is not going to sit and stare or even care what is going on up on the screen, he'll be interested in you and the other kids ect.  As he gets older and more mobile it will get much more difficult to do things like this so I agree that I would do it now while you have a chance.

Enjoy!

• Options

imageMrs.Wubbin:

Me too!  I actually enjoyed doing a lot of adult things with a baby that age (with other moms) since all they really care about is the adult holding them.  Have fun.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think you've gotten good advice so far, I totally ditto Meritage and Wubbin. 

• Options
    I think it also depends on your child. Mine didn't nap outside the house, and I would not have had any fun trying to watch the movie while she cried the whole time. If you have a mellow baby it sounds like a fun activity. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

So I took your overwhelming advice and I went and I'm so glad! It was fabulous. There were about 30 mommies and babies there. No major meltdowns, and Evan did fantastic.  The only note I would say is the babies definitely paid attention to the movie, some more than others. Some had the "rapt" expression on their little faces, it was kind of funny.  Evan watched some, but also played on my lap, stood up and checked out everyone else, napped, fed and generally was a great movie-goer.  I will definitely be going again. It lifted my spirits.

Thank you for convincing me to go! I think I would've passed otherwise.

• Options

imageAnyaBella:
    I don't know what BDTD stands for...

Sorry! BTDT... Been there, done that. Smile

• Options
    YAY!!!  I'm so glad you went and had a good time!  I wish I'd gone out more w/J when he was a wee babe -especially w/other moms of newborns.  I'm so happy I have a group of mom friends now but I wish I'd been able to make more connections when J was younger too.  Being the mom of an infant can be so isolating -it's great when you can actually get out with him/her and see other growups!  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"