Baby Showers
Options

Okay, not to sound stupid...but what do you actually do at a baby shower?

I've never been to one and no one has offered to throw me one yet. (kinda don't want one any way)

But I was curious what happens at one? What's usually expected?

Re: Okay, not to sound stupid...but what do you actually do at a baby shower?

• Options

imageEstwd2:
    You talk to guests, eat food, sometimes the host plans games, you open presents, thank everyone, then go home...usually with lots of leftover cake.

This is pretty much how mine went.

You have plenty of time for someone to throw you a shower. They're usually held a month or two before the due date and it doesn't take much time to plan a shower. If you really don't want a shower, begin practicing evasive maneuvers within the next month or so.

• Options

Pretty much what everyone said.

Showers usually last from 2-3 hours (depending on how many guests come).  The first half hour is usually just socializing while waiting for the late-comers (there are always a couple of them it seems).  Then, if there are games) they are played.  Usually takes 15-20 minutes.  Food is served and people get their plates and eat and socialize some more.  That takes maybe 30 minutes.  Then it is present opening time.  Cake (or dessert) is usually served before, during or midway through present opening.  I personally like to serve it during when I host a shower...gives the guests something to do.  I will sometimes have guests play baby-bingo during gift opening or set a timer to go off...guests who win get a small gift (I've been leaning toward scatch off lottery tickets lately).  Once MTB has opened all her gifts people start leaving and others start helping her pack up.  Sometimes DTB comes and helps as well (even to help unwrap some of the gifts).

If you don't want a shower then politely decline if someone wants to host one for you.  Keep in mind that a shower is a "gift" from that person so be sure to turn them down gracefully because you are in reality declining their gift.  KWIM?

BTW...what is expected of the MTB is to talk with the guests, have something to eat, open gifts and thank everyone for their gift and for attending the shower.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have been to the 'traditional' showers and then one that was open house.  That is what I am doing...it is a block of time for an afternoon 2pm-???

and people can stop by when they want.  We are also doing coed when football is on..and will have alcohol too.

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I feel the same way - I'm not big into parties and showers, and really don't want one. But I know my mother wants me to have one, so here I am helping her put together a babyshower for me!

Anyways, to answer your question:
    I've been to one and I've helped host one...

The one I went to was definitely a traditional shower - rented space, catered food, looots of games and lots of cake. I'm not a shower-game person so that part seemed tacky to me (face it...shower games can get REALLY tacky LOL)....overall it was a nice shower, tasteful decorations, formal, fun to see all our friends....but it's definitely not something I would want for myself. Too formal and to much stress with planning involved. Not to mention we had to figure out how to get all the gifts back to their house! (involved maaany cars)...and we had to leave the space spotless, by a certain time so she could get her deposit back...that was stressful!

My mom hosted a shower for my brother...it was informal, at her house. We did a football theme (cuz it was in the fall - football season, and he was having a boy)...we didn't do any tacky games, but we did do some small raffles which went over VERY well. We 1/2 catered: BBQ from a local place, and made tailgate-like side dishes....and a friend of ours who is a baker did our cake. Overall it felt very much like a family/friend get-together (with the bonus of baby gifts lol) which everyone enjoyed for a few hours then went home.

I liked this kind of shower much better.....and I will having something informal like this for myself in a few months :)

?Little Love of my Life?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"