High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

NST's

Today at 34 weeks I was put on glyburide for my GD. My fasting numbers have been high, although everything else is always normal. I guess I should be happy I have made it 8 weeks with just diet control, but it still seems like I am a failure!

Anyway, they told me I now have to go in twice a week for the rest of my pregnancy to have NST's. Is this normal? What do you actually do? What are they looking for/what happens if you don't do well? I probably should have asked my doctor, but I just wasn't thinking.

THANKS!

Re: NST's

• Options
    I'm not sure about with GD, but I have been having twice weekly NSTs since my diagnosis of pre-e. They monitor baby's heart rate and m movement for about 20 minutes to make sure there're are appropriate rises and falls in hb and adequate movement. I enjoy being able to sit and listen to LO's heartbeat for that long. It's very relaxing.
  • Options

I haven't started NSTs yet, but I just had to pop in and say you are in NO WAY a failure.  You cannot control the insulin-resistance that comes from the placental hormones.  It is very, very common for GD mamas to have higher blood sugars as their pregnancy progress, resulting in the need for insulin.  Please don't call yourself a failure.  You are taking the blame for something out of your control.

Out of curiosity, do you know why your doc uses glyburide instead of insulin?  My doc has me on insulin.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

She told me my numbers were still low, and she wanted to start me off on the lowest dose/treatment possible. I have only had 8 over 90 since Aug 1, but they are usually like 88-89, and lately I have had a few over 100. Not sure if insulin is higher or what??? She did say she was worried I could end up under 60, and if I did to call right away the first time so they could change my treatment.

Thanks for the support too! I know I am not a failure, I just really wanted to do it on  my own, you know? And I super worry about how this will effect my chances of a natural birth, as well as how many tests my baby will have to have after birth. But one thing at a time! :)

• Options

I used to fight to stay awake during my NSTs because the heartbeat was so relaxing. I was diet controlled but did them once a week. It was actually nice because the hospitsl would use the same monitors every 60 minutes during  labor so I was already used to them.

You can still have a natural birth with the GD :) That was one of my biggest worries when I found out I had GD but everything went great. I think the only additional tests DD had were heel pricks to check her sugar right after birth, 4 hours after, and 8 hours after.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"