C-sections
Options

XP: C-Section/Pregnancy Question

Hello All-

This is a cross post from July 2011:

I haven't been on since birth.  I have a question.  I am not trying to concieve right away, but I am curious... How long after a c-sec "should" you wait to become pregnant again.  Any experience with those 2+ mamas?

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: C-Section/Pregnancy Question

• Options
    My doctor told me to wait a year.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageMISnJER80:
    My doctor told me to wait a year.

This. I was told to wait a year as well, especially if you wish to VBAC. However I have know c-section mama's who got pregnant a few months after giving birth and everything was fine. I think it's just a recommendation to wait so everything can heal well.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I remember someone posting on my month board a while back that their OB said she could get pg as soon as she wanted to post c/s. My OB didn't say anything about it, but I had already told her we were planning on waiting 2+ years anyway.

I have heard that the longer you wait, the better your chances are of VBAC.

But... my entire post is all hearsay. LOL

• Options
    My doctors have an 18 month between births policy regarding VBACs.  They prefer you wait at least a year between c-section and getting pregnant again, but I know plenty of women who didn't wait or had unplanned pregnancies before the year was up.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was just going to post the exact same question.  At my PP check-up today they said I had to wait a year.  I was bummed. We wanted our kids to be close in age.  Since our c-section was unplanned, it's not even something I had thought about.  I understand their concern, but we are going to start trying in the next months.  If it takes a year, fine, but we don't want to have to wait the year before we even start trying.
    Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my first, my dr told us to wait 6 months. After all of my loss blood work came back normal she said that we could start trying at 4 months and that's when we conceived our second. This time she said to wait 6 months and not any sooner (unless we had a surprise pregnancy).
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My OB said that if you don't have any complications, your uterus should be fully healed by 4 months pp.  He didn't give any restrictions on when to get pregnant with regards to a rcs/vbac with the next pregnancy, but some doctors do.  If you would like to have a vbac, I would ask your OB if they have any restrictions.
  • Options
    My OB said 18 months between deliveries is the minimum for a VBAC and 12 months between deliveries for a RCS. I knew I wanted a RCS so aimed for the 12 months... I came up a few weeks short but she's okay with that. :)
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options

My doctor gave me the OK to conceive at my 6 week PP checkup. My kids were 12.5 months apart, and he was ok with a VBAC. I ended up with a RCS as I had not gone into labor by my scheduled section date.

He said the risk for uterine rupture is slightly higher, but it's such an unbelievably rare complication that it wasnt dangerous for a vbac even with closely spaced pregnancies. he is VERY pro vbac though, and I get a lot of OBs arent.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never been told how long to wait, but I got pregnant 5 months after my c-section and everything was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"