School-Aged Children
Options

unofficial homework?

When your child was in kindergarten and did not have homework, did you sit down together and 'work' anyway?  We have no homework this year and my daughter does not have any learning disabilities or cause for any concern. I am just curious to know if we are being a bit lazy or normal. 

Re: unofficial homework?

• Options

We don't sit down and work.  But we read together, write letters to Grammy, send emails to dad, count how many steps we take to get to the door and add it to how many steps to the driveway, count out change together, etc.  Just fun stuff that reinforces what they're doing in kindergarten. 

• Options
    With my oldest, who was in 1/2 day K, I probably did what Dandelion Mom describes in her reply above.  When my son was in K last year, it was full day, and he had homework every night.  Each day involved 15 minutes of reading, plus a question or short task that often involved discussion with a parent.  The homework was VERY easy for my son, so I often tried to deepen our discussion and expand on the ideas, etc.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDandelionMom:

We don't sit down and work.  But we read together, write letters to Grammy, send emails to dad, count how many steps we take to get to the door and add it to how many steps to the driveway, count out change together, etc.  Just fun stuff that reinforces what they're doing in kindergarten. 

This is similar to what we do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My daughter had work that she had to complete if she did not complete it in the classroom (we have focus issues). She had workbooks at home, though, that we would work in from time to time. She saw a lot of my brothers and sister going to and coming home from school and working on homework afterwards so she was really interested when it came time for her to go to school. Even over the summer, she would ask for homework to do.

This year, she has a homework packet that comes home on the first of the month and then they turn it in at the end. She has sharing journal entries to complete every week, a book report once a month and a reading log to complete.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had homework.  Letters/numbers, then sight words, and slight math.  Also poems/songs that we read together, and they memorized.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"