D.C. Area Babies

Carseat advice needed

I really need some carseat advice.

My work location has changed, so DH needs to do daycare drop-offs in the our minivan, and I'll be doing pick-ups in our Honda Fit. Right now, we have two Britax Marathons in the van, but no carseats in the Fit.

I'm trying to figure out what types of seats I can fit back there. Ideally, I'd find two inexpensive convertible seats that can RF but still allow the driver and passenger to sit comfortably. However, I'm open to forward facing b/c daycare is less than 0.75 miles from our house, so it's only a 2 minute ride (Okay, I feel somewhat guilty about FF for this short ride, but I'm not sure what to do.).

Any advice on two seats that can go in the back of a Honda Fit? Anyone know if two Cosco Scenara's would fit?

Re: Carseat advice needed

• I would think the Scenara would fit - it fit RF in DH's two door Civic. They are super inexpensive and have good ratings, so they would work in a pinch. BUT I hated the one we had. The material was very cheap and it was a PITA to tighten the straps. We ended up buying another Britax Roundabout to replace it because I just didn't like the straps. Other people rave about it, so maybe I'm just picky about inconvenience and with such a short commute maybe it won't bother you.

Another random thought - try to keep them RF in your car. Not just for safety but because they may throw a fit RFing in the other car once they get a taste of the sweet FF life. 

• We have one Britax Roundabout 50 in our VW Rabbit.  It has to go in the middle because there is no way it would fit behind either of the front seats (unless they are completely forward...)  It's also where the LATCH is located.  

(PS DH does all the carseat stuff.  I feel completely inept in this area...)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • That's tough, because you'll have to put a seat behind the driver. We fit a Britax roundabout in the back of our Toyota Corolla, but it's behind the passenger seat. It would not be very comfortable for a driver if the seat was on the driver's side of the car. But maybe you could tolerate it for 2 minutes, since it's such a short drive.

I agree with Mrs.PhilDunphy that your LOs may not want to sit RF in the van if they learn that FF is an option.

Have you posted this on the Multiples board? There must be some posters there who have their kids RF in a regular car.

Another idea is to drive home, get your stroller, and walk to daycare to pick them up/take them home, assuming the route is safe for walking and has sidewalks.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't know what seats you should get (we have 2 Britaxes in both cars) but I think if you put them FF they will heartily protest being RF in the other car and that will make your DH's commute to DCP pretty awful.
  • I'm not advocating one way or another, but not all kids protest RFing after FFing.  DD is FFing in my FIL's car (because nothing was small enough to RF and allow his tall friends to ride in comfort in the passenger seat in his tiny car) and while he only drives her around sporadically, she's never fussed about going back to RFing in our cars.  
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"