May 2011 Moms
Options

Fun topic: Constipation

So LO hasn't pooped in 4 days. I'm starting to get concerned because it definitely looks like she is trying to poop but nothing comes out.

The background is we had to switch her formula to soy per dr. recommendation. She was having green gross poops for weeks and the smelled out of this world gross so the though was she probably has a sensitive tummy to the lactose in her regular formula. Well, now she's not pooping at all. I feel horrible and have no idea what to do - I plan on calling the doctor tomorrow but any advice? We were thinking of giving her a little water but that makes me nervous.

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Fun topic: Constipation

• Options
    My son is EBF and still goes a few days to a week without pooping. I had his 4 month well check this past week and the doctor said even though it's soft when he does, I can try an ounce of prune or pear juice mixed with an ounce of water to see if it helps.  I have known people who have done that as well  Good luck!
  • Options
    My LO also has a problem with constipation. His Pedi told us to give him 1oz of water in between feedings. That has really been working for him. And she also recommended us to give him prune juice if he doesn't go for a few days.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Going a few days for some babies is NOT a big deal.  That being said, Emma had gone a few days (which was highly unusual, and she has been on the same formula since 6 weeks) and was obviously uncomfortable and constipated, because she pooped a little tiny bit and it was pretty dry and hard (again, unusual).  Her pain and fussiness caused me to give her 1oz prune juice with 3oz water.  She drank MAYBE an ounce of it, but I will say, it came out just an hour or so later and she felt much better.

I would talk to your pedi, of course, but it worked for me.

• Options

For my DD not going for four days WAS a big deal. Poor girl was so constipated and finally she was able to poop out a rock hard (very large) poop, after prune juice, pears and finally a suppository. I did give the pedi an emergency call since she was in so.much.pain - it was very hard to watch and I felt so helpless. I've never heard her cry like that!

We're off the soy and going to go in tomorrow to see what all is going on with her - I'm pretty nervous, she isn't gaining weight well, not wanting to eat, etc. Something tells me it's a side effect of laryngomalacia and she developed reflux (which the pedi said is quite common). Hopefully it will all be OK. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"