Minnesota Babies
Options

Moving to Minneapolis, need some info.

My husband is a pilot for the airlines, and we recently found out we will be moving there in January.  I was on here awhile back and asked about different suburbs, but I can't find it anywhere in my discussions. 

I am leaning more towards living in Eden Prarie, though am curious if there is another great suburb close to the airport.  I am looking for something "newer" good pre-school, safe, and good shopping, resturants close by. 

I am also looking for a larger sized town home to rent.  I would LOVE a newer home to rent, but everything I come across in my price range of $1300 is old. I am at home a lot by myself with my kids, and I don't need something that will be falling apart.  Can you recommend any good local sites that advertise home rentals.  I've been on Craigslist a lot, but am wondering about a local news site that would have rentals available?  

Any other advice you would like to offer...  I am completely overwhelmed.  My husband and I have never been there and won't be visiting until about a month before our move.  

Thanks so much! 

Re: Moving to Minneapolis, need some info.

• Options

you could look into Eagan as well - especially parts that are part of school district 196.  they have a really good reputation.  housing is a bit more affordable there vs. eden prarie.  and you are equally as close to the airport - if not closer with not as much traffic coming from the east.  there are plenty of stores and restaurants in eagan and you're not far from the mall of america (which is right by the airport) 

inver grove heights and south st. paul may be other options to check, although you might not find as many newer places in ssp.  both of these areas are also easy commutes to the airport and inver grove heights has a fair number of townhouses, so you might luck out and find a good rental there.

as far as local newspapers, www.twincities.com is the st. paul paper and www.startribune.com is the minneapolis paper to look for rentals. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hello I you do live in EP (or around here) There is a great Preschool at Grace Church it's called "Funshine" I look forward to putting my son it in it soon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rentals in the Twin Cites tend to be on the more expensive side, especially if you want something newer.  How close do you need to be to the airport?  Your best bet for newer townhouses are the outer suburbs like Lakeville, Maple Grove, Inver Grove Heights, ect.  The problem you may run into is that many townhouse associations started passing a no rental clauses.  Also most newer townhouses will probably have a rental price higher than that because of the morgage plus association fee is going be more than $1300. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I second Eagan. Newer homes, good schools, convenient to lots of shops, restaurants and the airport. Within the realm of the HealthEast Care System (very family centered model of care). Traffic isn't as bad. I also like the community center.

Wife to an amazing man and mom to three darling girls!
  • Options
    I would also check out the eastern suburbs like Woodbury and Oakdale.  They are just a short drive to the airport (all highway) and have lots of newer neighborhoods, great shopping and restaurants, lots of great public and private preschools and elementary school options.  You will pay more for rent than you would pay for a mortgage but there are a lot of townhome communities in these suburbs.  We own our townhome but I know some friends that rent in their townhome community in Woodbury.  There are lots of rentals in these areas listed on Craigslist.  Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the area!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Check out movingtominnesota.com it is a great website.  Very user friendly.

It was a long road for our family...our 3 angels in heaven are always watching over us!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

my brother is a pilot as well and he and his wife and 2 kids live in apple valley. they love it there. they live in a town home and there are a lot of town homes in their area. as far as schools i know there are a few preschools they have loved but i dont know too much!

GL!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  You've given me some great direction!
  • Options

Hello! My husband works at the airport as well. We also thought we would live in EP, but quickly became sticker shocked at the housing prices. We also desired a "new" , clean, safe suburb.

So, we moved here in April and bought a home in Lakeville...right near the Apple Valley (AV) border. We go to AV for everything and I have a friend that lives in a really cute (new) townhome that is an easy walk to great restaurants, eateries, post office, etc. Plus, SuperTargets are in abundance. :)

I will admit AV is a better bet than Lakeville and you can't beat the location in proximity to the airport, MOA, as well as the zoo, Burnsville Mall (and more restaurants and retail), Buck Hill Skiing and the AV Aquatic Park (for the summer!).

Good luck!

LL www.aModernFamily.blogspot.com
  • Options
    We just me m just moved to Eagan,and I cannot reccommend it enough! The cost of living is less than Eden Prairie and the schools are great. Tons of shopping and places to eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"