Two Under 2
Options

Sleeping Arrangements?

I'm sure this has been posted a million times before, but I can't seem to find them (skimming past pages).

H and I are at a bit of a standoff... I'm of the opinion that our two kids should have separate rooms, while he thinks they should share as soon as we move #2 to the crib. I feel that's a bad idea because with DS1 teething and the fact that #2 may not be STTN, they'll be waking one another up. Plus, when #2 starts teething... ugh. H says "They'll learn to sleep through it," but I don't think they should have to. --We live in a 3bd/2ba house and he wants to keep one of the rooms as the home office/computer room. 

What's your kids sleeping arrangement like? Am I making a bigger deal out of this than it is?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleeping Arrangements?

• Options

People make work what they need to make work.

There are many families all over the world that all live in the same room together.

That being said I'm so glad our kids had their own rooms when they were little.  

If you sleep train I honestly don't know how you do that with 2 kids in the same room.  

I like being able to relax and even read books when I'm feeding the baby in the middle of the night and I'm sure I would have been more up tight if I'd been sitting in a glider or changing a diaper trying not to wake up another child in the same room. 

I get where your DH is coming from.... where will you put all that stuff?  Maybe if you could present him with a plan on where to put his office stuff he might be more likely to get on board with them each having their own rooms?

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    eventually they will share a room...but usually someone is up and crying in the middle of the night, or somebody doesn't want to go to bed and we have to do a little CIO. It absolutely would not work right now. DD1 sleeps in her [their] own room and DD2 is still in our room. 
    2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We also have a 3br home.  There is NO way I would want my kids to share a room.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  They would totally wake each other up and it would be chaotic at 3am trying to get them back to sleep.  I can just foresee a TON of problems by doing this. 

Now, if you only had 2 br and they had to share a room because it was a space issues then you do what you need to do to make it work, but under your circumstances, no, I would not have them share a room.  I'd make a BIG deal out of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Another thought... if your DH is a super logical guy consider this approach:

Map out for him the number of hours a child would spend in that room vs the number of hours it's currently used for an office.

With my DH it's always a matter of presenting the logical argument instead of getting pissy and fighting about it. 

When ever I start thinking about how nice it would be for the kids to share a room so we could have a designated office/guest room again that simple calculation makes me realize that it's not terribly logical.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    We moved DD2 into the nursery with DD1 when the older one was 18 months and the younger one was 5.5 months.  #2 was not STTN, but she was waking only 1-2 times per night.  We said we would give it a week, and if it was still a disaster after seven nights, we'd rethink the plan.  But it only took four nights for DD1 to stop waking when DD2 cried.  That was six months ago.  Now DD2 STTNs, but she still wakes around 6:30 or 7 (before DD1 would naturally wake).  She wakes up her sister about half the time.  It's annoying, but I like having them share a room.  Sometimes when they wake up they talk to each other and it buys us some sleep.  Plus I like the sharing aspect.  We plan to have them share for the foreseeable future, no matter how many bedrooms we have.
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

We have the benefit of an office downstairs.  We have kept the baby in their own room until about age 2.  I think next summer, DD1 will move into what has been the nursery and DD2 & DD3 will share the bunk beds in the other room.  We've never had the baby wake the other girls during the night and their rooms are next to each other.  We have also changed pukey sheets at 3 am and the other girl doesn't wake.

• Options
    I'm thinking we are going to put the baby in with her sister around 6ish months. DD1 STTN and DD2 sleeps until 6 or 7 when she wakes for a feed then goes back to sleep. DD1 is a light sleeper so that worries me but DH doesn't want DD2 to sleep with us forever so we are going to have to see what happens when the time comes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We'll see how DS is sleeping by that point. DS slept in our room until he was 8 months old and even still co-sleeps with us off and on. I know I have lots of time to decide and there will be lots of changes in DS between now and then, so we'll see. If we have a second boy, they'll eventually share a room but during the first two years I'm guessing they'll mostly be separate.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

imageUnder.the.Rose:
    We'll see how DS is sleeping by that point. DS slept in our room until he was 8 months old and even still co-sleeps with us off and on. I know I have lots of time to decide and there will be lots of changes in DS between now and then, so we'll see. If we have a second boy, they'll eventually share a room but during the first two years I'm guessing they'll mostly be separate.

I will also add that we have a 3 bedroom house too and it would mean moving our office to the basement... but that's alright with me. Maybe it'll mean we can get a move-on with our guest room/laundry room/bathroom reno down there (it's only partially finished).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    Our two will share a room even though we have 3 bedrooms. We live out of town/state from the rest of our family so having a guest room is really important for when my parents/ILs come for long visits.

DC2 will be in our room for probably 6 months like DD1 was. DD1 is a great sleeper so hopefully she still will be when she is 26ish months and they start to share.

Either way - we want a lot of kids and probably will never have more than 3-4 bedrooms so someone will always be sharing :)
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"