Cloth Diapering
Options

CDing in the hospital

Has anyone tried this?  DH and I would really like to try it with this baby.  I'm assuming that I should just bring all of our newborn diapers and a wet bag to keep them in.  My mom has offered to come each day and take the diapers back to her house to wash them.  Is there anything special that you would do because of the meconium like using a liner?  Did you type up some sort of explanation for the nurses or just tell them to bring the baby to you if they need changed when they are in their care for some reason?  I'm just curious!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: CDing in the hospital

• Options

Meconium washes out just fine. My hospital has rooming-in other than in emergencies (and I have to assume that in an emergency, cloth diapering would not be your priority), so no nurse ever came close to offering to change a diaper. I was only there for about 36 hours. I could have cloth diapered.

That said, I didn't bother. I care, but in a way that doesn't need to overcomplicate my life. I already felt like we had way too much stuff to haul in and out of the hospital, and was happy enough to use the pampers for 36 hours. 

• Options
    I didn't even bother.  I knew I would be having a c-section and would most likely have to send the baby to the nursery the first night (I was out of it on anesthesia and magnesium sulfate). Plus my sister works in the well baby nursery and said it would not be a good idea because they have to take the baby to do testing and check-ups etc and she was worried they would accidentally get tossed in the trash or lost etc.  She also told me to us ehte hospital t-shirts and blankets until we left too because of blood from heel sticks and things getting lost. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am going to attempt to.  I am taking a few to try and at least one for sure to go home in.  I have a smaller wet bag packed with his stuff and then a large wet bag packed with more that we will leave in the car incase it works.  I am taking mostly prefolds and a couple fitteds and enough fleece liners to go with and a couple covers.  I am not so worried about the meconium but he will be circumcised.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Options
    I thought about it and after talking to another CD mom, decided against it due to the meconium.  Then I joined this board and heard from a lot more moms that the meconium isn't a big deal and washes out so I will be CDing from the first diaper for the next one.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Options
    We were only in the hospital 24 hours after LO was born, and I think I packed about 10 little joeys and bum genius xs.  LO was born around 4:00pm, so for the rest of the first day we just used sposies until we got settled into the recovery room.  I just brought our fuzzibunz wet bag and threw the dirties in.  I honestly wasn't planning on using them in the hospital (just one of the MANY MANY things we brought with), but it really wasn't a problem at all.  On the other hand, the 3 bags of clothes, etc for hubby and I did not get touched!  I brought like 3 outfits to wear, 2 of those fancy maternity birthing gownies, and ended up wearing the nasty hospital gown and disposable underwear until we went home.  Hubby brought a bunch of clothes and stayed in the same t-shirt and gym shorts that he wore to the hospital.  Sorry for going off on a tangent, but my advice would be to just throw them in your bag since they're so tiny and if you end up using them, great, and if it seems like it is going to be a hassle, then just don't worry about it!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"