VBAC

2nd pregnancy, but first labor

I keep hearing a lot of "this baby will come fast since it's your second." I keep saying that I doubt that because I had a scheduled c/s at 39 wks and never felt a contraction. Most still insist that this will be a faster labor. Has anyone been told anything about this from someone educated in vbacs and not just random opinionated people?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

Re: 2nd pregnancy, but first labor

• i had a similar experience (schedule c/s at 38w6d, never felt a contraction).  and people in my life tell me the same thing you keep hearing.  i'm not sure if there is any science to back up these opinions, so i usually just assume that people feel they need 'something' to say ... take it all with a grain of salt and trust your care provider.  and remember, even if those folks are, in general, correct, doesn't mean that you will have that experience.  every woman, every pregnancy, every labor is different.
  • I think a general rule of thumb with VBAC is that your body will act like a 2nd timer up until the point where you had your c/s, and then it will act like a 1st timer.

That was definitely true for me.  Since I had my c/s at 10 cm, my labor went super fast (2 hours from first contraction until pushing) but the pushing phase was long (3.5 hours of pushing).

So don't be discouraged if you end up with a long labor; it doesn't mean you won't have a vaginal birth at the end.  OTOH I know a lot FTMs who had fast labors too--so you never know! :)

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am hoping to labor at home for a long time while arrange childcare for charley. At this point a longer labor is a bit more desirable for that reason alone. A long home labor and quick hospital delivery :) I currently stress about no one being able to watch her and my dh not making my delivery because he has tocare for her
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• I was in labor and pushing with #1, but it was induced. 55+ hours of labor and a c-section.

Went into spontateous labor with #2. First contraction at 1AM; I was pushing by 9. Ended with c-section again but the labor was MUCH faster.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • "Fast" is relative anyway. My 2nd came in half the time of my first, but my first took three days. I don't know anyone who would call a day and a half a "fast" labor, but it was definitely an improvement?.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagebugabean:
    "Fast" is relative anyway. My 2nd came in half the time of my first, but my first took three days. I don't know anyone who would call a day and a half a "fast" labor, but it was definitely an improvement?.

This is what I'm hoping for.  My first birth ended in a c-section at hour 59.  I would love to improve on that. 

To the OP - I would labor at home as you planned.  Just treat this as if it's your first and monitor your contractions.  Even my friend who has babies that just "fall out" had time to get to the hospital an hour away for her second child.  Her whole labor was just under 4 hours with her 1st and just under 3 hours with her 2nd.

As for the things people say - use they as positive encouragement.  I have a doula friend who told me that the practice of labor and pushing the first time will help with my VBAC.  If she's right - fantastic - let's go with that.  If she's wrong, I won't know until I'm there in the hospital - so no use worrying now.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"