Preemies
Options

Hey Preemie Mommies... I need success stories....

Im peeking in from HR pregnancy board.... Quick info about my situation.... They found I had IC at 20 week A/S scan.... had emergent cerclage placed then sent home on strict bed rest with bathroom privileges. My cerclage held up for 5 weeks when thursday, my U/S showed I was finger tip dialeted with bulging membranes, although my cerclage is still in place. I have been admitted to Hospital bedrest and am on precautionary antibiotics and had my beta meth shots over the last two days. I am now 25 weeks and 3 days.... they are hoping to get me to 28 weeks... My water hasnt broken yet, cerclage is intact, just finger tip dialated, no infections, and no fever.... anybody ever been i this situation? Or any successful 25 -26 week preemie stories??? thanks so much.

-a worried mama 

Re: Hey Preemie Mommies... I need success stories....

• Options
    Your story is so similar to mine except I never had a circlage, they wouldn't place one at 20 weeks with twins. I was admitted to hospital bed rest at 24 weeks at a 2. At 26 w 3 d I went into labor that was stopped with magnesium. A week later I went back into labor and the boys were born via c-section at 27w3d. Hunter spent 10 weeks in the NICU and Liam spent 14 weeks. They are now healthy, thriving 8.5month olds. It was touch and go several times in the hospital but we all made it through in the end. There are so many miracle babies on this board, it is amazing what medicine can do these days. I hope you hang on for many more weeks, thoughts and prayers to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

26 weeker here!  I went into unexplained preterm labor, and my son was born at 26w3d. He was in the NICU for 70 days (which is kind of on the short side given his gestational age).  He had breathing support for quite awhile.  He came home on oxygen during his feedings, but we stopped that pretty early.  He was also on an apnea monitor until about 4 months after his due date.

Now, he's almost 8 months old (5 adjusted) and doing great!  We don't anticipate any long term health problems.  He's already starting to catch up to his actual age developmentally.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My twin girls were born at 25w1d. They are both healthy and happy. They are now 13 months old. Feel free to page me with any questions.
    3 miscarriages, Infertility, & Premature Birth Abigail and Adalynn born @ 25w1d Lilypie Second Birthday tickers FAQ: Resources for New NICU Moms
    FAQ: My Friend Just Had a Preemie, How Can I Help?
  • Options

My situation was a little different than yours.  My IC was discovered at 26w5d and I had to have an emergency c-section immediately.  My daughter did really well and we were amazingly lucky.  She spent 105 days in the NICU.  Today she is 10 months actual and doing great. 

There is still hope for you - you're still pregnant!  I think there are some ladies on the board who had situations similar to yours that were able to stay on hospital bedrest for quite a few weeks and hold off delivery.  Every day matters!  Keep us updated.    

• Options

I was sent to the ER and diagnosed with IC at 24 weeks.

My son was born at 26w2d.  He had a long NICU stay (117 days) but came home essentially a normal baby, aside from reflux.  He will be 3 years old in December.  He is talking, running, loves school, super smart (knows his ABCs, can count to 20, LOVES to read) and is very funny and silly.  He has some delays, but nothing that I think affects his quality of life.

many T&P!!!

• Options
    Hello! My daughter was born at 26 weeks to the day and is now 15 months old (would have been a year this week). She weighed 1lbs 3 oz and we spent 100 long days in our NICU. We had a lot of ups and downs (on and off the vent and c pap, serratia which caused a bit of a set back...) but since she left the hospital with no long term side effects. I was admitted to the hospital on bedrest at 25 weeks 3 days with hopes of making to it 28 weeks to, but pre-e and HELLP had other plans for me. I think my SO and I spent our entire NICU in denial of how bad our situation was due to V's size and set backs but that's what we had to do to get through it all. In case you're planning on breastfeeding, I just wanted to tell you that it is possible with a mirco preemie! I started pumping the day after my delivery and after 2 months of feeding tubes, V was able to start bottle feeding and one week after that i was able to try breastfeeding for the first time. It was slow going in the beginning and I had to continue pumping after until she got stronger/bigger. :) Good luck to you!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersimage
  • Options
    I went into PTL at 24w5d and only made is 25w2d with DD.  No time for cerclage because labor could not be stopped, and we did not know I had IC until my second child.  DD had 96 days in the NICU and a very eventful stay with three surgeries including NEC (which she survived!).  Every day in the oven counts, so just focus on one day at a time.  This will help you before LO arrives, and during the NICU.  Visit us often and never hesitate to ask questions.  We are here to help!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

My IC was also discovered at a 27 week growth scan. I was dilated to 3 with bulging membranes and never felt a thing. I was imediatly sent to the hospital ( across the street) and was on strict bed rest with mag and steroid shots for 3 days. Then they discontinued the mag and I was at a 5 and bulging membranes. I was then at least allowed to get up and go to the bathroom and take 1 quick shower every day. I stayed on hospital bed rest for 12 days and they discovered I had a prolapse cord and P was born via emergency C section at 29W 6D and 4 lbs 4 oz. . He spent 48 days in the NICU. 28 days on a CPAP and the last 20 days learning to eat.

He is now 10 months old actual and in the 25th percentile for height and the 35% percentile for weight for his actual age. He has no delays, problems, or health issues. 

While I was on hospital bed rest. I did the same thing that you are doing. googled and scoured the internet for stories of moms like me and babies born early. 

It is comforting to read stores of other moms in your position. We are out here and understand what you are going through. If you have any questions or want to talk, PM me.

• Options

Hi - just lurking from hospital bedrest.  I am in a similar situation as OP.  Was admitted to labor and delivery this past Tuesday due to PTL, was 2 cm dilated with bulging membranes.  Just looking for some success stories to get me through.  Reading this post definitely helped lift my spirits a little.  Hope it's ok if I continue to lurk for a while.  Not much else to do here...

• Options
    I was admitted at 24 weeks with not much hope to make it very far or have take home babies.  I ended up delivering at 28 weeks 4 days.  We had a fairly uneventful NICU stay as far as they go.  My boys were small and had premature lungs so they were on the vent and c-pap for about a month.  They came home together on Monday at 38 weeks 4 days adjusted.  We don't know of any long term affects yet, but all the docs say they look great and are right on track.  I'm also BFing them and started pumping from day one.  It's one of the best things you can do for our preemie.  Every day counts, keep us posted and feel free to ask questions.
  • Options
    Hi. I had a very similar story. Perfect pregnancy, go in for 20 wk appt and find out I have IC, was 1.5 cm dilated and contracting like crazy...I had no idea any of this was going on. I was immediately admitted into the hospital that night and then released home for complete bedrest until I got closer to 24 weeks. In only a few short days I went from 1.5cm of cervix to 4mm and made it to 25wks 5 days. The hospital was amazing and was able to keep me from delivering even with bulging membranes and being 6cm dilated for an entire week! The magnesium isn't the most exciting experience (tell your husband to dress warm bc you will probably want the a/c on 50degrees)  but I believe in my heart that all of these things helped my LO be a success story. Luke was born weighing 1lb 12 oz and had an uneventful 94 days in the NICU. He came out screaming and breathing on his own and required the vent for only 12 hours as a precaution. He was on cpap for about 1.5 months but always stayed around room temperature. No NEC, no ROP, no brain bleeds...so just know that just bc you may be delivering early that doesn't mean you can't have a healthy baby to bring home. It's true... the NICU is a rollercoaster no matter how well your child is doing but that is what we are all here for to be your cheerleaders. Many rough days I turned to The Bump for inspiration.My little guy is 6months/2 months adjusted and is in the 75% for weight/adjusted age and is meeting 4 month milestones. The only issue we really encountered was reflux, umbillical hernia (corrected itself), Large PDA (corrected itself) and high blood pressure which is also common and expected to correct itself within the year. Document everything for your LO bc they will be a miracle. We have a wonder note that our doctor gave to our LO and it read "Never forget that you are a miracle; not just to your parents, but to the world." Good luck and best wishes :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I didn't have IC but I do have a 25 weeker. He was 1lb 13.9oz and 13 inches long when he was born. He had a pretty rough NICU course and spent 121 days in the hospital, coming home about 3 weeks after his due date. He spent about 4 weeks on the vent, 4 weeks on CPAP and another 4 weeks on nasal cannula. He had surgery for a bowel perforation at 1 week old and another surgery for an inguinal hernia repair. He was lucky to not have any brain bleeds but did have a staph infection and an acquired CMV infection, cholestatic jaundice and hydronephrosis. He is now almost 14 months old, weighs 21lbs and doing amazing. He is hitting all his milestones according to his adjusted age and has become a very happy boy.

Ask if you can have a tour of the NICU. Seeing a baby as small as a 25/26 weeker can be very shocking. It might help if you know what to expect. My ds's eyes were fused for the first couple weeks of his life, which I didn't expect at all. It is amazing the strength of these tiny people. I seriously don't think I'll ever stop being in awe of my son. Please ask any questions you may have. This board is great for support. I hope that you are able to stay pregnant for many more weeks, but we are here if you need us.

• Options

I had a cerclage at 21 weeks with my twins and ended up dialating, etc at 24 weeks.  Through bedrest, mag. sulfate twice, and procardia at home with monitoring, I made it to 32 weeks.  I was put on hospital bedrest at 32 weeks and my water broke at 32w4 days with the twins.

With my youngest, I had a cerclage at 23w6d as I had buldging waters and was able to hold off until 35 weeks.  H was born not because of the IC but because I had HELLP syndrome. 

• Options

very similar story. But I had a preventative cerclage at 13 weeks due to my history.

I was on bedrest at that time and then went on total hospital bedrest at 23. By the first week I had no more cervix left and was dilated...only thing holding was the cerclage. My membranes were also bulging and Baby A was so low and kicking my cervix. I stayed a fingertip dilated all those weeks. No fever of infection and was closely monitored. Have you had the steroid shots yet? Also, I did one dose of magnesium because the dr. believed it would help and has something to do with the neurological effects later. ( I forget about what)  I lasted until almost 31 but at 26 we had a scare and were warned delivery might happen. We were given WAY better odds then if it happened 2-3 weeks before that. GL to you and I will keep you in my thoughts.

MY FOUR ANGELS... M/C 12/26/02 AT 4 WEEKS M/C 12/31/07 AT 12 WEEKS, D & C M/C 12/5/08 AT 9 WEEKS, D & C ***BFP ON 3/26/09*** MARY REYNA BORN AND PASSED AWAY JULY 31ST, 2009 AT 23 WEEKS. GOODBYE SWEET BABY...I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER. ***AFTER 17 WEEKS ON BEDREST*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ive now been here a week, officially at 26 weeks (yay!) and have stilll had no fever, contractions, leakage, pains, aches, or infection. I am on preventative antibiotics and had my steroid shots and my cerclage is still intact, but has weaked due to weight of the baby (last weeks estimate at 25 weeks was 1 lb 10oz) and have continually been stable at "finger tip dialated". Its so hard to be in the hospital but feel fine.
  • Options
    And your guys stories have helped me out alot this past week, thank you. I took a tour of the NICU yesterday and it broke me, I thought of all of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"