1st Trimester
Options

Slightly undercooked chicken...should I be worried?

Last night my husband cooked a whole chicken in the BBQ and he even used a

thermometer to make sure the chicken was cooked.

but when he cut it open it was a little bit pink underneath the skin...though i think when you cook chicken it's always pink there. 

I picked pieces that were fully white and I only ate a few small pieces (didn't want to hurt his feelings...).

should I be worried about salmonella and listeria infection?   I read somewhere that listeria can harm the fetus.

can they diagnose the infection through blood work?  (i'm supposed to have blood work done next Wednesday).

and most of all, should I be worried at all? 

I might be over-reacting....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Slightly undercooked chicken...should I be worried?

• Options
    You'll be fine. So far I've eaten some deli meats, had some coffee and an egg with a runny middle and the baby is fine. I think as long as you aren't eating an entire raw chicken crawling with germs you and  your little bean will be ok.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Underdone chicken will be pink far beneath the skin (nearer to the bone) if it's truly underdone.  The color you're seeing just under the skin (if the rest of the meat was white) is discoloration from the browning of the skin.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If the deeper parts were white, then I wouldn't worry. The part near the skin would cook sooner than that. Did he put BBQ sauce on it? That could be why it was pinkish under the skin.
  • Options

The others are right, if it is undercooked it will be pink and kind of jelly-like towards the middle.  If it was white in the middle, it is okay.  And just so you know, some chicken is supposed to be pink, BBQ chicken will always be pink.  I mean, when it it cooked BBQ style (low temps for a long time in a smoker).  Was it just grilled chicken with BBQ sauce?  If it was undercooked it would have been obvious.  And the sauce, if it is red, can make the meat look pink.  It's good that he uses a thermometer to make sure it's done! 

I don't think you're overreacting though!  You can never be too careful.  Last night I had some boneless buffalo wings from a restaurant.  I definitely cut them in half to make sure they were done before I ate any!  I would recommend always doing this.  A few years ago I ordered a chicken sandwich at Chili's and when I cut it in half, it was COMPLETELY RAW.  I'm glad I was in the habit of cutting my sandwiches in half before taking a bite.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else that it is just fine...I just wanted to say that that is one adorable puppy!  I have a Chocolate Lab too, she is my first baby!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had food poisioning during my last pregnancy and the baby was completely healthy. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"